DIY build, latex coil combination

I’m kicking myself because I used this forum several years ago to help with my mattress search, but then just the other day made an impulse buy of a new mattress from a discount shop. Got a cheap mattress which smelled like chemicals. I let it air out, but now I’m nervous about it, and thinking I need to get something good.

After doing my research, I really like the idea of a DIY build. I have been looking at the components at Arizona Mattress Company. Does this configuration look reasonable?

• The bamboo zipper cover
  • Top layer, 2" talalay 24 IDL (I already have this topper)
  • 2nd layer, 2" talalay 28 IDL (or something different?)
  • 8"" coil layer
  • 1" coconut coir layer (I think I need something beneath the coils)

So that on my wood slat bed frame. I am thinking I need something underneath the coils, that was why I was thinking the coconut layer.

I am 5’ 10", 170lbs, and a back/side sleeper. I like support on my lower back. Not sure where I am on the firmness scale, but I don’t like to sink in to much.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Looks like you have a pretty good design for what you want to do with it. I would go with the QE Bolsa pocket coil and then you’ll have to tailor your toppers to what works for you. Seems pretty reasonable for your sleeping positions and BMI but no substitute for actual testing in person so let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the 8-inch zoned coils, and the 2 inch 28 IDL talalay topper, which I can combine with the 24 IDL one that I already own. I decided that I’ll wait till I test it out before ordering a cover, as I might get another layer, so I’m not 100% sure of the height yet.

Pretty sure I need something between the coils and my platform bed. Looking at buying a 1 inch coconut coir layer, maybe from futonland. Still trying to decide if that is the way I want to go.

Hi howdy2u.

Nice to have you back to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

We’ve all been there with the impulse purchases. Ultimately it sounds like it has inspired you in your venture into the world of DIY, so maybe there is a silver lining there.

Thank you for sharing your sleeping positions and stats. This mattress would stand at 13" which can work well for combination sleepers. Theoretically you are looking at a “reasonable” setup. The Talatech layers M24 & M28 in soft and medium on top of the 8" Leggat & Platt coil unit from Arizona Pr make good sense for normal BMI ranges and side and back combination sleeping.

To echo Mattrebuild, I’d keep in mind that this is still theoretical as it is not possible to predict what might work best for you, because the first “rule” of mattress shopping or DIY building is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, This is best left to personal testing and your own experiences or more detailed discussions with the people that sell the componentry you are considering. (See post #2 here ).

The coconut coir is used as a stabilization layer between the spring unit and the foundation which is helpful especially when the distance between slats is large. The zippered cover should be purchased last when you are satisfied with the support/comfort levels. The cover is necessary to encase all layers to keep them from shifting and can also provide a bit more protection in the long run versus oxidation/UV exposure for the latex.

Phoenix

Phoenix - Thanks for the feedback. What you outlined is pretty much what I plan to do. The coils should arrive next week, and I will wait until I am satisfied with the configuration before ordering a cover.

And that is exactly how I feel about my bad impulse purchase. I threw some money away, but if I hadn’t I would not have done all the research that I ended up doing. And I am really excited about the DIY. I made my own pillow, so might as well make my own mattress.

I’ll make sure to post again after I get everything set up.

Update: I finally have my new coils and latex layer. Just put everything together. My first impression is that it is comfortable. I’m happy.

But 1 question. I attached some images. In the name of science and the pursuit of good sleep, I put dots on my back, and took pictures laying on the mattress. If you look at the image ‘newSide’ below, you will see the alignment of my spine. It is MUCH better than my old mattress. But could I do better? should I try? It feels pretty comfortable.

I also added a pic of my layers. I have a slat bed, and I stretched a very thick blanket tight with twine over the slats (it is a sound blanket that weighs about 10-15 lbs). That way the 8" combi zone coils have a fairly even base. On top of the coils are two 2" blended talalay layers, a 28 IDL and on top of that a 24 IDL.

I will probably get the zippered mattress cover eventually. For now I have a thick padded cotton mattress cover. The mattress is comfy, and I really like the extra support the firm center springs give me. I’m wondering if my shoulder should be sinking in a bit more to line up my spine, but I do like the feel of the mattress. I also know that my pillow affects my spine alignment, but I like the one I have, and I tend to bundle it under my neck. I also sleep with a knee pillow.

If there are any comments about how my set up looks, and if there is room for improvement, please let me know. WAY better than my old mattress, but hey, might as well try for perfection.

Wow, that’s a significant difference so I can see why you’d be pleased with the result, the old bed looks painful.

Old mattress

New mattress

You can see how your spine is significantly straighter in the new configuration which obviously leads to it feeling much more comfortable. When designing a mattress (or anything really) simpler is always better with the caveat that it actually solves your problem/needs. People all have different tolerances for alignment when sleeping. Kids are like little Gumbys that can sleep just about anywhere and never seem to wake up worse for wear but an adult doing the same thing will have widely varied results. So I would suggest to only keep going with fixing the alignment if you don’t find it comfortable or some other issues arise such as numbness from pressure on the shoulder/arm/hips . In the current configuration (complete layers, no zoning) it’s very easy to maintain for the life of the mattress. From the photos it does look like you do seem to have a bit of issue with your shoulders not going into the mattress enough and perhaps a slight bit of additional support in the midsection might be helpful (address the shoulders first since this may correct the midsection alignment) but you would definitely need zoning to correct this perfectly. If it were me I would probably attack the shoulder area next since that looks like it should help relieve pressure on your shoulder and further straighten your spine. You could do this by using some softer talalay (19-20 ILD) in the shoulder and head area only (requires cutting the lower layer and replacing that section with the softer talalay, always test the layers for fit/feel before cutting). I would again stress though that if you feel it’s good as is then I would leave it because zoning is always more expensive and complex to create (due to needing multiple ILD layers and cutting of the foam).

I really like that idea of making a softer zone for the upper part of the mattress. Did not think of that. As you said, it would require cutting the latex, but I would be comfortable doing that.

And like you mentioned, it comes down to how it feels for me. Well, it is pretty dang comfortable. I slept well last night.

So yeah, I like the idea of leaving as is for now, and then consider the zoning option in the future. At the same time I like the idea of creating the ultimate mattress customized for me, so I could see modifying it. But it is pretty good in its current configuration. Very happy I went the DIY route. I know it will be a pain to move it in the future, but that is about the only downside I see.

Yesterday I ordered another 2" layer of Talalay to top off my mattress. I’m wondering if I made a mistake and went too soft. I went with the ‘supersoft’ 14 IDL.

So my configuration will be:
2" 14IDL talalay (or should I have gone with the 19IDL?)
2" 24IDL talalay
2" 28IDL talalay
8" zoned coils

I want my shoulders to sink in a bit more, as I am mostly a side sleeper. I’m 5’ 10" 170lbs. I was also considering zoning the shoulder area, but figured I would wait to see how the mattress feels after sleeping on it for a few nights. I ordered from Arizona Mattress, and I might be able to change my order if it makes sense. Probably should have thought about it a little more beforehand. Without the additional layer the bed is comfortable, but just want a little less pressure on my shoulders.

I get what you’re trying to do but it won’t work quite like you think. If you make it softer everywhere across the mattress then your entire body will sink more not just your shoulders. Adding more comfort layers also often leads to alignment issues too. If you were having just pressure point issues then this might help although 14ILD is very soft, you’d be better off with 19ILD instead for that purpose at your BMI. Like I mentioned earlier the solution to your shoulder issue will likely be zoning (where you’ll need to modify the support layer not just add more layers on top). I know this isn’t quite what you wanted to hear but hopefully you can exchange the 2" 14ILD for a 2" 19ILD and then modify the section from your shoulder area to the headboard. The reason this works is more of your body will then be supported by your ribs/midsection which takes pressure off the shoulder as a result. Make sure to test it with the foams in place before doing any cutting so you know where the zone should be to work best for you.

Thanks much for the info. I am totally comfortable with the zoning approach. I am going to see if I can’t switch my order to the 19 IDL. I started having 2nd thoughts about the supersoft right after I placed my order.

I am planning on configuring a zoned upper layer. I’ve been searching the forum, but I can’t seem to find the answer to one question that I have, and that is, do you attach the sections together? And if so how? So if you had an upper layer with a top section, a middle section, and a lower section, then should they be secured together somehow?

You can use a spray foam adhesive to glue them together but I really don’t suggest it. You want to cut the sections so they fit snug (but not bunched up) inside the mattress cover(this is what ensures they stay put). In a support layer you won’t feel any seams at all except for the differences in firmness. Latex foam has alot of friction so the pieces won’t move around at all in relation to each other. You can see in the Flobeds design (see the video below) the pieces are not glued because once you do that you lose the ability to swap pieces or even replace worn layers.