DIY Build: Please Review My Plan/SleepEZ's Configurator Recommendation

Would like a quick review of the Sleep EZ’s custom configurator’s recommendation prior to purchase plus am welcome to any suggestions based on the info below.

210 lbs, 5’5", mostly side sleeper, switching to the back from time to time during the night. Leaning towards pulling the trigger and purchasing from SleepEZ as I am now oversaturated with mattress information (this site is amazing with its volume of information and advice).

SleepEZ’s custom configurator on their website recommends from top to bottom:

2" Medium Talalay
3" Medium Dunlop
3" Firm Dunlop

Does this seem like a fair recommendation given my info?

I’d like to improve my odds of being successful the first time around with my purchase and avoid any exchanges if possible, while clearly recognizing I’m planning on buying it online without ever trying it out so there are no guarantees.

I have no experience with latex other than my awesome pillow but would like to give it a try after finding my dog’s LL Bean 4" memory foam therapeutic bed very comfortable while encouraging her to sleep on it when it was new;)

Like the idea of DIY so in case I screw it up, I can then make adjustments and am hopeful something will work good enough before I blow my entire 401k savings on latex layers and toppers.

Currently have a traditional old-timey firm Simmons Beautyrest with box springs that is too firm these days and it’s way past time to pitch it.

I am not an overly selective person, especially given I could easily sleep on my dog’s bed if I didn’t think my family would put me away somewhere; plus the dog loves it now. Just need something comfortable enough that won’t cause too much pain. Have an old torn rotator cuff injury that comes back every now and then but I basically just suck it up and fall asleep eventually.

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

Hi AhiTuna.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile: Thank you for your kind words. We’re glad to hear you enjoy the resources!

I think that the configuration provided to you by SleepEZ is a fair configuration taking into account your height, weight, and sleeping positions. The top comfort layer at 2" is because you’re a combo sleeper. If you were solely a side sleeper, a 3" may be more recommendable.

We will make sure to keep your savings and retirement in tact as you navigate the mattress-scape, haha.

Any other questions we can answer for you?
NikkiTMU

AHI Tuna I have no comment on whether that configuration will work for you, but be aware the sleepez tool will give the same result for a wide range heights and weights regardless of whether you are a back or side sleeper, which does not make sense. I imagine it works off of averages and averages fit poorly when applied to individuals.

[quote=“NikkiTMU post=92316”]Hi AhiTuna.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile: Thank you for your kind words. We’re glad to hear you enjoy the resources!

I think that the configuration provided to you by SleepEZ is a fair configuration taking into account your height, weight, and sleeping positions. The top comfort layer at 2" is because you’re a combo sleeper. If you were solely a side sleeper, a 3" may be more recommendable.

We will make sure to keep your savings and retirement in tact as you navigate the mattress-scape, haha.

Any other questions we can answer for you?
NikkiTMU[/quote]

I think the top layer is 2" because ahituna set the parameter for 9" build. Not because they are a back or side sleeper.

Thank you NikkiTMU, appreciate your answer and providing the reassurance I was hoping for. It’s so cool that there are mattress experts and customers willing to share their advice and experiences. Seems that buying a new HVAC system was easier than figuring out what mattress to buy online. Thanks again!

Hi lantern71, thanks for your insight. I did play around with SleepEZ’s configurator when trying to reverse engineer it a bit. It seems that for my size and sleep habits, the 2 inch top layer should suffice, based on researching this site independent of the configurator. When I purchased my last bed, I asked for something in concrete so am hopeful that what I select will be softer than the bed it is replacing, now that I’m much older and starting to feel all the sins from my youth.