DIY coil/latex mattress - Am I on the right track?

Hi,

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

I am in the process of researching a DIY coil/latex queen mattress for my girlfriend and I. (5’8" 130 LBS, back and side sleeper, and 6’3" 190 LBS belly sleeper). We prefer firm mattresses.

Currently we are using a zoned mattress by Avocado and we find that we are too tall to make use of the zone, it hurts us more than its beneficial. Currently, we both have back pain in the morning. The bed frame is DIY, solid base of plywood.

I currently have a 3" firm latex topper that I would like to combine with a coil base, and I’d probably have to add another layer over the coils. I am considering these coils:

6" Quantum Edge Elite
8" Quantum Edge Elite

Would this combination of the 3" firm latex top with one of these coils work?

Thank you!

Hi Jelle.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear the zoning in the Avocado is causing pains for you both.

This is a great starting point. Like you mentioned, it’s possible another layer may be needed depending on how much you sink into the 3" of firm latex. As for the 6 vs 8" coils…

The height of a pocket coil is just one of many variables that will affect the feel and performance of the coil and how it responds to pressure and how well it can contour to the shape of the body. Some of the others include the gauge of the coils, the number of coils and the coil diameter, the number of turns in the coil, the shape of the coil (cylinder, barrel, etc), and the specific design of the coil (single spring rate, multiple spring rate, etc). Some mattresses that contain taller coils that can contour to the shape of the body more effectively may need less padding materials above the coil as well. That said, innerspring/coils are not normally the weak link in a mattress, it’s usually the comfort layers that cause the most issues.

There is also more about the pros and cons of different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

That said, 8" coils tend to be the preference for most people (and I believe they are slightly more firm), but aren’t strictly necessary to a successful firm set up :slight_smile:

NikkiTMU

2 Likes

NikkiTMU, thank you!

I will get to reading. :slight_smile:

Btw, the link on post #10 is not working. Did the post disappear?

Edit: I found it: Latex over pocket coil mattress question - #10 by phoenix

Jelle

After some reading and a few tests, I came up with a plan. The datasheets provided me with this information:

Legger & Platt coils:

‘Quantum Edge Elite Combizone’ 8" 1130 coils
Zoned
→ used by Avocado, which is the mattress I have currently
Shoulder 486 ILD
Center 762 ILD
Edge 722 ILD

‘Quantum Edge Elite’ 1057 coils
Non zoned
8"
Center 531 ILD
Edge 570 ILD

6"
Center 762 ILD
Edge 805 ILD

‘Caliber Edge’ 660 coils
Non zoned
8"
Center 624 ILD
Edge 592 ILD (are these numbers inverted by any chance?)

6"
Center 676 ILD
Edge 682 ILD

Armed with this information, I did a sleeping test where I slept diagonally on the Combizone Avocado, avoiding the 486 ILD Shoulder area, but instead slept with my torso and head on the 762 ILD Center and 722 ILD Edge areas. This worked wonders, no back pain in the morning!

Based on this I concluded that the Quantum Edge Elite 6" was closest in ILD and number of coils, and ordered that coil set. If its too firm, an additional topper should fix this.

I am grateful for the people here sharing their experiences, -I read quite a few posts using the search function on the forum-, thank you! I will share my result once the coils are in.

Hi, so far the mattress is absolutely great for belly sleeping, but is on the firm side for side sleeping. What would be a good next step? I was thinking of adding a layer of latex on top, but unsure of the required firmness and thickness. Does anyone have suggestions?

Hi Jelle,

Glad to hear that for the most part, the mattress is working out!

Are you primarily a belly sleeper or moreso a side sleeper?

The general rule of thumb is to keep the comfort layers as “thin” as possible for the flat sleeping position. In this case, maybe adding 1" - 2" if possible to make side sleeping more comfortable.

Is it your shoulder that’s causing trouble when side sleeping?

NikkiTMU

Yes, the mattress is great as a starting point, we are very happy with the first result. :slight_smile:

I am primarily a belly sleeper, GF is a side sleeper. Not sure exactly what her issue exactly is with the mattress other than she loves the firmness of the coils, but desires a softer top. When I sleep on my side, I get lower back pain. My shoulder and hip is a bit sore, but the real issue is the lower back. I guess my body sags too much in the unsupported belly area, and throws my spine out of alignment. Another way of looking at this: my shoulder and hip do not sag enough into the mattress. You get the idea :wink:

Thank you for the tip, I will get a 2" topper in medium, and see how it goes. I appreciate you getting back to me!