DIY help w Core ILD choice

5’2" female, 130 lbs, side sleeper with back /neck/shoulder pains. I sleep very HOT in my peri-menopausal years.

Live in CANADA.

I’ve tried several types of mattresses over the past two years and am getting closer to what I think works for me.

I’ve tried all Talalay Latex and hated it. Much too firm even with 19" ILD at 2" for the top layer. Tried all kinds of configurations with the layers. Purchased from a local place.

Tried Logan and Cove - too firm.

Currently in trial with Ghostbed Flex. Too firm. They sent a gel foam topper but it’s too hot and stays compressed. I bought a twin gel topper zoned for my kids bed and it slept much cooler. The one they sent seems to be the kind used as a mattress layer, seems cheaper.

I’ve purchased various toppers and ended up with a few that I couldn’t return or sell, so now I’m considering just doing a DIY with I have and buying a few more components.

I have the following:

3" Dunlop Latex (I’m not sure of the ILD but it was a topper and much too hot and a bit firm). From Sleep on Latex.
2" Convoluted Talalay (19 ILD) from Flobeds. [Felt too firm as a topper. I also don’t like the feel of latex).
3" Gel foam topper (Ghostbed) [a bit too hot].

I would have to purchase a Core base but am not sure what.

MFC has this that seems to make sense:

Size: QUEEN
Thickness: 4"
Foam Type: HR 2.75LB / 34 ILD FIRM

And for the Cover:
Either Bamboo or Tencel (whichever is cooler)

*Does any of this make sense for a DIY ?

The closest to comfort I felt was with the Ghostbed, but it’s still too firm and if I exchange for a plush, it’s a final sale and over $1,000 more expensive. I was very tempted with all the cooling technology, pressure point relief, etc. but it’s probably just marketing hype.

I’ve already lost money in this quest and tons of time. I just want restful sleep no matter what it takes.

Hi Lu1968,

Well, first off, I have a lot of empathy for you, sounds like you have been thwarted in all your attempts at finding a comfortable mattress so far! Remember, no one can tell you what mattress will be right for you; it’s your own unique choice based on Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those - and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). You may want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how different materials hold up over time.

I’ve tried all Talalay Latex and hated it. Much too firm even with 19" ILD at 2" for the top layer. Tried all kinds of configurations with the layers. Purchased from a local place.

Tried Logan and Cove - too firm.

Currently in trial with Ghostbed Flex. Too firm. They sent a gel foam topper but it’s too hot and stays compressed. I bought a twin gel topper zoned for my kids bed and it slept much cooler. The one they sent seems to be the kind used as a mattress layer, seems cheaper.

So there’s a few data points here: you have a lower BMI, and so have many choices and options in type of bed as well as comfort levels. You don’t like the feel of latex, but have several toppers you may want to use in your build. You find foams of even 19 ILD a bit too firm, and also find you sleep too hot on both gel memory foam and latex.

For the GhostBed - are any of the ‘big box’ department stores that carry GhostBed Canada products in your area? That might allow you to try the GhostBed Flex plush before you commit…the GhostBed Flex is a very well made gel memory foam hybrid, and if you can find a suitably plush comfort layer, as you said that was the closest to your ‘ideal’ so far, this would be the easiest solution.

I have the following:

3" Dunlop Latex (I’m not sure of the ILD but it was a topper and much too hot and a bit firm). From Sleep on Latex.
2" Convoluted Talalay (19 ILD) from Flobeds. [Felt too firm as a topper. I also don’t like the feel of latex).
3" Gel foam topper (Ghostbed) [a bit too hot].

I would have to purchase a Core base but am not sure what.

MFC has this that seems to make sense:

Size: QUEEN
Thickness: 4"
Foam Type: HR 2.75LB / 34 ILD FIRM

And for the Cover:
Either Bamboo or Tencel (whichever is cooler

A Tencel cover, or bamboo will definitely provide a cooling breathable layer between you and the mattress; also cotton percale sheets, like those offered by @Takasa could resolve your hit sleeping as well. As for a ‘core base’, the HR firm foam at 3.75lbs/cuft from @MFC is a good firm stable base layer…and Mario has a lot of experience helping consumers find their ideal bed components and has invaluable knowledge on foam of all types. You also have a variety of toppers to dial in your ideal comfort level , but it’s really just a matter of your own preferences on comfort level and materials. It may take a little further trial or error but you have a few good options for your core and a few different toppers to see how they feel in your build…a little fine tuning should get you to the comfort level you want with the support you need!

~ Basilio