DIY Hybrid Mattress Help

Hey all, I’ve decided to try my hand at a DIY mattress, and am looking for some feedback. I tried out a Naturepedic EOS hybrid in store and liked it, so am looking to more or less recreate it. I tried out the firm coils and both the firm latex and medium latex, and think I might like something slightly in between the medium and firm. This is what I’ve come up with so far (top to bottom)r:

2" All Natural Talalay Latex Topper Medium#25-29
2" All Natural Talalay Latex Topper Firm#30-34
Combi-Zone Pocket Coil by Leggett and Platt
12" Mattress Cover: Knit Ticking

According to this post, the ILD ratings of the above line up with Naturepedic. I’m hoping by doing a medium layer on top of a firm, I’ll end up with a feeling something in between the two. Does it work that way?

From what I’ve been reading, if I want firm coils then the Combi-Zone is the way to go. However, it’s been a bit difficult tracking down information on coils, so if there’s something else I should be considering, please let me know.

As for the cover, I’m considering the knit ticking from DIY Natural Bedding since I’ve seen their covers recommended in other posts, and also because it’s machine washable. The Organic Cotton Zippered Mattress Cover from APM looks like it may also be machine washable (though it doesn’t say on the site). However, I’ve made it this far without ever having washed my mattress cover, so I’m wondering if there’s some other criteria I should be trying to use to make that decision.

I’m also wondering, is it worth it to cover each individual latex layer with a cover? Something like the Stretch Cotton Cover from Latex Mattress Factory. Will that improve the lifespan of the latex layers by adding a small protection layer? Or would adding a mattress protector like the St Dormier be enough protection?

My final question: I’ve seen posts saying it’s not necessary to have a foam layer under the springs, but I’ve seen a lot of people doing it as well. Should I add half an inch of LUX-R Foam under the springs? Or don’t bother?

And in case anyone is wondering, the mattress would be for me (6’, 180lbs) and my wife (5’3", 120). I fall asleep on my stomach, wake up on my back. My wife sleeps mainly on her back, sometimes on her side. We both like mattresses on the firmer side.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi swedish.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’ve embarked on quite the DIY adventure.

Yes, this should provide a medium-firm feel.

Firmness is ultimately determined by coil gauge. The lower the number, the thicker the coil, and therefore the firmer the mattress. 12 would be the thickest you can usually find, ranging up to 15 gauge.

Some people want something that resists humidity, others want something completely waterproof, etc. It’s really a personal choice.

I personally don’t see the necessity to encase each layer since they’ll all be encased in a cover anyway. Others may have a different opinion - if so, I hope they chime in. I feel like if you encase each layer, it’s going to change the feel of the latex.

Some people enjoy a stabilization layer under their coils. If I were doing a DIY I probably would include .5" to 1" as a stabilization layer, myself. It’s not strictly necessary and won’t make or break the feel of the mattress.

NikkiTMU

Hi NikkiTMU, thanks so much for the feedback!

According to the listing for the combi-zone coils, the coil guages are “16g narrow diameter perimeter coils. 17g narrow diameter coils through center 1/3 and 14g larger diameter coils on both sides of center 1/3.”, which doesn’t fall in the 12 to 15 range you specify. But what I gather from reading some posts from APM, even though the perimeter and center coils are higher guage, because they are narrow diameter there are more of them close together, which causes them to actually be firmer than the 14 guage?

However, after trying to get more info on the coil guage for the combi-zone coils, I’m now concerned that zoned coils may not be right for me. I tried to get more information on some other alternatives, but it’s hard to find coil gauge specs. It sounds like my next best bet may be the 6" Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa, however I can only find the 8 inch version. Are those coils not available in 6 inch anymore?

I did also find the caliber edge coils. Those are 13.75 guage, but I found another post saying that it’s the least firm of the three? It’s so confusing :S

Also, are there really no other options than combi-zone, QE bolsa, and caliber edge?

Just a few important points to add to what Nikki said. The fact that most manufacturers only give you coil gauge on springs gives you really nothing to compare to. It may sound great to marketing folks looking for something to promote but this huge oversimplification from a design aspect is like telling you how big a fish is with one arm. From a design aspect there’s several things that determine the spring rate of a coil spring.

1. Wire gauge
  2. Coil diameter
  3. Number of turns

Without getting into alot of boring engineering it’s safe to say if you even want to compare one coil spring to another you need all 3 of those items. What complicates things even more is that in a mattress you’re not just comparing one spring to another, you’re comparing huge arrays of springs to each other. So if the industry really wanted to make it easier for consumers to compare they would use a standardized test (similar to that use for ILD/IFD testing) which would allow an apples to apples comparison of force/deflection over area (effectively giving you pressure response). In the absence of this info you’re really left just having to test or experiment yourself with what might work best in your specific situation (ie don’t always assume lower coil gauge means stiffer mattress, you need to verify it empirically). Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for this valuable additional info, Mattrebuild!

Swedish, you asked…

There is also the Quantum Edge, Low profile, Softech, Nanocoils, open coils like the Power Edge Bonnell, Verticoil and a number of others.

NikkiTMU

Yes, thank you for the information Mattrebuild! I have only seen gauge and diameter, not sure I’ve actually seen number of turns. And even with gauge and diameter, it’s sometimes hard to find that info as well. And I agree, standardized test for coil firmness would be very helpful.

NikkiTMU, how would one go about purchasing those for an individual DIY project? As far as I can see online, only the four options I mentioned previously are available for purchase, either through APM / DIY Mattress or Latex Mattress Factory.