DIY Latex Layers on Foam Base

Hi there! I’m in the process of configuring a semi-DIY mattress and looking for some guidance to fine-tune it as I’ve had some set-backs.

Me and my sleep needs:

  • 140-150 lbs
  • Wide hips and narrow shoulders
  • Side sleeper
  • Lots of chronic pain in neck, back, shoulders, hips
  • Based in Canada
  • Already part-way through purchases, so limiting my choices a bit within return/exchange policy options

In the past, I’ve accidentally ended up with too-soft mattresses because I need the pressure relief for shoulders and hips. From my testing in stores and online research, it seems like latex comfort and transition layers are the best fit for pressure point relief with rebound support.

Current Core

  • Old Ikea slat frame - in process of replacing this with an upgraded wood base with slats + potentially a bunkie board depending on slat spacing
  • I currently have the Dreamstar Aurora Gel mattress
    • Specs: 6-inch Soy Bio High-Density Foam, 2-inch High-Resilient Foam, ½ inch 4lb Visco Cooling Gel
  • I chose this instead of a DIY core because I wanted an exchange/trial option
  • I hoped that I would be able to use this with just one topper layer, and take advantage of the built in transition layer - but that hasn’t turned out to work

Topper

  • I got the @MFC 2 inch Classic Talalay Topper in Med-Soft (24 ILD)
  • When I used this directly on the Aurora core, I ended up with terrible neck and shoulder pain no matter which pillow I used and with various pillow heights
  • I concluded that my shoulder was bottoming out on the mattress and I needed an additional transition layer of dunlop latex

Transition Layer

  • I purchased the Silk & Snow 2" Firm Dunlop Topper 34-38 ILD, hoping it would work but also knowing it is returnable so it is a useful test
  • This has helped the neck and shoulder pain, but I find it is a bit firm on my shoulder and hip, and I wish it had more pressure relief

Possible next steps:

  • Switch to a slightly less firm 2" Dunlop transition layer, such as MFC’s Medium 30 ILD
  • Increase transition layer to 3" such as MFC Medium 30 ILD
  • Switch my core to the simpler and shorter Dreamstar Perfect Dreamer mattress, though I need to verify the specs because I’ve found conflicting info
    • Specs: 4-6” Soy Bio High Density Foam, 1-2" comfort layer (Ultra soft high grade visco foam with cotton fibre)

Questions I could use help with:

  • How do I determine the right thickness (2 or 3 inch) and ILD for my dunlop transition layer?
  • Is switching my core to the option above likely to be helpful or unhelpful for this setup?
  • Is there anything else about this setup and my needs that stand out as possible solutions or risks to be aware of?

Thank you so much for any wisdom!

Lee

1 Like

Your current mattress already has a transition layer, so in my opinion you wouldn’t need a tall stack at all to place on the mattress. If anything on that I would use one 2" medium soft topper to protect the mattress. If you go too high with the foams on top, that mattress is already medium and you could get too tall of a soft stack to keep you in alignment.