DIY latex mattress help ( budget )

Hi April,

What are the specs? Iā€™m trying to find something to help my girlfriendā€™s back pain. Her mattress is far too soft, but itā€™s only a year old and was really expensive. Iā€™m hoping to add a firm latex topper to try to address the issue, but Iā€™m going back and forth between considering a topper and a new mattress.

Also, whereabouts are you? Iā€™m in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks,
Brad

Whatā€™s the size of the bed it is coming from?

Brad123, Iā€™m in California, so that probably wouldnā€™t work.

agm413, were you talking to me?

Hey April,

I think the question was posed to you. What are the specs of the latex topper? Mainlyā€¦ size -queen/king?? density / ild? height/thickness?

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei. I just didnā€™t want to answer a question that wasnā€™t directed to me.

Twin XL, 3" Talalay in medium/28 ILD.

May I ask what it was about the obasan that you didnā€™t like? Did you use some of the latex on the Arizona springs?

Thanks April, that is a very nice topperā€¦good luck with that. Does if have a cover, or is it raw latex foam?

Itā€™s raw. Was being used as part of a DIY mattress, but I abandoned that project. Itā€™s now covered in a fitted sheet and kind of rolled up on the floor.

I think we just do not personally like the feel of latex overall. We went from a traditional high-quality innerspring mattress that was quite old but still in perfect condition, and to this day regret getting rid of it.

Yes, we currently are using the top and bottom latex layers from the Obasan, but are considering purchasing and replacing those components, as I feel like we might have a better chance of selling a complete mattress rather than individual latex layers!

Hello mattress4life,

Another option besides trying to sell the items is to repurpose them. For example, you can cut the latex for chair cushions, layer it for couch cushions or shred it for pillows. I know some who have shredded it for chair cushions, in that loose form they also have needed to add a tuft or two to help it keep its shape.

The wool can be turned into a pillow or a comforter. St. Peter Woolen Mill can wash and recard your wool for you. See recarding here: Natureā€™s Comfort Products & Wool Processing Services | St. Peter Woolen Mill

The wool can also be turned into roving and used for hand crafts. Wool dyes well with readily available dyes like koolaid. Felting is a very popular craft with wool and pretty simple. Here is one craft you can make with wool: How To Needle Felt A Picture - Ultimate Guide To Needle Felting In The Felt Hub A much more simple one would be the popular wool dryer balls. https://www.thinking-about-cloth-diapers.com/make-wool-dryer-balls.html