DIY Latex Mattress Supplier - What questions should I ask them?

I have an appointment with a VERY small DIY mom-and-pop latex mattress retailer in Indianapolis (they run out of their home, so everything is by appointment)

They do the same formula as a few other online latex mattress suppliers - you get to pick various firmness levels of latex, stack them, and cover them with a zip cover. This supplier home-sews the zip covers and drop-ships the latex slabs. However, my wife won’t buy from an online retailer. She wants to feel the mattress in advance.

I know their latex is GOLS certified (though to be honest, I don’t care about organic - natural latex is important to me, organic isn’t), and my wife and I will have the opportunity to try out various firmesses at the appointment.

What are the kinds of questions I should be asking? It seems like a simple product - 100% Latex and cloth. Are DIY mattresses required to be CPSC fire-resistant?

alevinemi,

You’ll of course want to know about all of the materials used within the mattress. As the latex is GOLS certified, you know it is Dunlop. It should be natural to meet the GOLS certification. As this is a “boutique” shop, I’d think that they would be a bit more detailed in what makes their product unique. Ask where they source their latex and who manufactures it. See if they will provide you densities. Are the layers first quality (not seconds)? What is their experience building latex mattresses? I’d want to learn about their background.

The same goes for the covering material. What is it made of? Any certifications (GOTS, organic, etc.)? Where is this sourced?

How is the product assembled? Have them show you that detail. Find out about any warranties, return, or exchange policies, or ability to customize. I’d want to see a completed mattress. Ask if they have any references or people you could contact.

Mattresses are required to pass 16 CFR part 1632 and 1633. You’d want to ask them about that and how they meet that certification, or if they procure a health care professional’s signature for you to avoid having to make a mattress that meets that standard and if you are comfortable with such a potential arrangement.

I know that some of these questions have nothing to do with quality of componentry, but if you’re having someone custom tailor a mattress for you I’d want to learn everything about their operation and their expertise and learn what makes them special and unique and why they deserve your business.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Thank you - that’s helpful. I will ask them about where their latex is sourced. As for Talalay vs. Dunlop, I don’t care, as long as it’s comfortable, supportive, and my wife likes it. Unfortunately, I can’t tell the difference between low quality and high quality latex by looking at it or feeling it. I’m not experienced enough with the product.

This supplier doesn’t exactly sell mattresses - they sell mattress parts/kits. Latex slabs and zip-up tickling (and other filler parts I probably won’t buy, like wool batting, exotic fibers, and shredded latex). I’m not sure, but I think that gets them out of being legally obligated to pass CPSC regulations, since technically, they don’t manufacture mattresses - I’m manufacturing the mattress.

That has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that it would be serviceable. Stain the cover? Just replace the cover. Baby or pet pees on the bed while your waterproof pad is in the wash? You can probably get away with just replacing the top layer, 75% of the mattress is still good. But, it doesn’t have the manufactured build quality of a retail mattress.

I talked to them and they said their wool tickling passes CPSC regulations, which to me probably means 1632 (the cigarette test). I highly doubt a hand-sewn organic wool cover would survive 1633 (the propane burner test), although several other suppliers sell latex mattresses covered with natural wool, and they would be subject to CPSC regulations.

I also assume their statement that the wool tickling passes probably means their less expensive knit or twill tickling does not pass these fire tests.

All latex is generally a better quality product. Find out as much as you can about their products, fillers, blends, etc. for sake of comparisons to see if you’re getting a good value compared to other component suppliers.

That’s a fine line / slippery slope they may be walking, as some “suppliers” have attempted to operate in that manner and things have not gone so well for them. But it’s not a business you own personally, so the only concern I would have for you is to be aware you have a product that probably doesn’t have a completed 1633 certification, which may or may not be important to you.

Component systems do have the advantage to replace components, that’s for sure. Some people find that attractive for durability as well as the ability to fine tune comfort. As for “retail build quality”, while there is a difference between innerspring products and those with quilt panels and how their inner flanges are attached, I personally wouldn’t have that as high of a concern on my list. There are some “manufactured retail mattresses” that are of a horrible build quality.

If they’re making these claims and it’s important to you, ask for a cert for passing any specific regulation. Many manufacturers do use cotton covers quilted to wool to satisfy federal flammability regulations.

Again, if that’s important to you, ask for a cert. A cover by itself won’t have a burn prototype test number for passing 1633, as that is for a completed mattress.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go