DIY matresses core and foam recommendations

We are purchasing an adjustable split king base locally and building 2 twin XL mattresses. We mainly need help deciding on the core and density of comfort layers. I noticed you stated that in store people prefer the all Latex over inner spring 8 to 1. So we are leaning that direction and thinking it may be more flexible in allowing us to swap layers around but I am open to using coils.

I am 6’ 2" 235lb, broad shoulders and sleep on my side and back, have 3 bulging disks in lower back, sleep apnea and GERD. I like to sink down a bit

The wife is 5’ 4" 120 and mainly a stomach sleeper with some side. She definitely likes a firm, sleep on top feel.

We did try a place that had what they said was a 6" Dunlop firm core with a 1" soft topper and maybe a 3" polyfoam base and my wife liked it. The topper was very thin soft and airy so thinking it may have been Talalay. They had another they said was medium that I liked better but not sure of the construction.

I am planning to build from the bottom up and buy the case later but need some help getting started on cores and first layer. I am assuming I may need multiple comfort layers where my wife would not. In an effort to make the mattresses the same size should I use polyfoam to make hers taller also or just more Latex.

Thank You

I would start with a Firm 6" Talalay #36 core for her and a #32 core (medium) for you. Then add a 2" Talalay #28 top for both of you. After a couple of weeks you can fine tune if needed with another 2" layer yet to be determined.

Thanks Ken,

Assuming the core we tested was indeed a “firm” (the core was perforated) would the 36 Talalay be close for my wife? Do you or your customers prefer the Talalay core over the Dunlop?

Talalay is preferred vs dunlop if you spend anytime at all on your side. All latex 6" cores are perforated whether it’s Talalay or Dunlop as is most toppers. Dunlop works best for heavier people who sleep on their back or stomach

Yeah, It’s helpful to discuss that issue faced by people. And this thing is worth considering when purchasing a mattress.

Hi Ken,

When do you recommend a 6" core vs two 3" base layers of talalay?

Thanks,
BB

I always recommend the base be 6". Let’s say you had one 6" base in medium laying next to the same 6" base that had been cut into 2 3" layers one on top of the other. If you were to roll from the 6" base onto the 2 3" layers you would notice it to be not quite as firm as it was before it was cut. Since the base core is the main support mechanism it’s just better to have it firmer. Also, the more layers the less durability, that’s just a fact.

So for an average to lightweight side sleeper who was used to sleeping on 3" layers (from top to bottom). S-M-M-F,
would you recommended a 6" firm base or a 6" medium base? Thereby creating S-M-(6") Firm, or S-M-(6") Medium?

Thank you, Ken!

Medium for sure with a 3" soft top