DIY Mattress Heavy Person with pressure point issues

Hi,

I’ve been considering a DIY latex mattress. I’m 5ft 11in, 250 pounds and have arthritis. I generally sleep on my side, but not perfectly in my side, meaning I lean over on my side so I’m at an angle somewhere between a stomach sleeper and a side sleeper. One arm is always under my head. I don’t want to be swimming in the mattress like memory foam but I need something softer. My shoulders hurt and my arm sometimes falls asleep (no pun intended). My hips are also a pressure point.

Am I better off with all latex or using coils? I’ve been looking at all latex but if coils would be better I would consider that.

What layer structure makes sense for a person in my situation? I’d like to keep the mattress to about 12 inches but would thicker be better?

Does something need to go between the layers so that they don’t pull at each other?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from deer hunting in AZ. The best setup based on your info would be a Firm 6" latex base core with 3" of Medium Talalay then 2" of Soft Talalay. After adding the zippered cover is should finish around 12". Nothing else is needed, the latex pieces don’t move around once encased in the cover and you can arrange them to whatever feels best. Let me know if you have any other questions

Don’t know who you are but you have no clue what you are talking about

I’m a little concerned about the weight of the mattress. I have arthritis and it’s difficult for me to move the latex topper I have. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to lift the 6 inch core. The mattress will be on a platform with a one inch layer of coir between the mattress and the platform. Would that be enough to cut the core down to 3 inches.

I don’t see any issues with doing just that if the weight is a problem for you.