DIY Mattress Issues (Bolsa Coils + Foam/Latex topper)

I am using 8" Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa coils as my base, with 3 inch regular memory foam topper right above that, and a 3 inch soft latex topper as the very top layer.

Overall the bed feels okay, but I am constantly tossing and turning at night which makes me think it’s too firm, but not sure? (I am a side/back sleeper with broad shoulders - 6’3 200lb). I feel crampy/fatigued in my shoulder if I lay on one side for more than about 30 minutes, my hips and other body parts are fine.

How can I make this setup better so I stop constantly flipping around at night? I have a wearable sleep tracker and it says I am “awake” for 3+ hours every night due to the tossing and turning.

I tried adding another 3 inches of memory foam on top in the past, and the bed become “soupy”, where my hips sunk way down into it like a hammock. I really need the cushion in my shoulder area, and not so much in the hips.

Hi PepperGrower, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your current mattress. Remember any mattress you find to be ideal will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

It sounds like the issue may be your top comfort latter may be too soft - allowing your pressure points to ‘sink in’ too far, bottoming out on the memory foam below. Do you know the firmness of the latex topper or density of the memory foam? As a higher BMI sleeper, you need to have good support; another issue may be the density of the memory foam; for example, We suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support. If the memory foam is insufficiently dense, or made of inexpensive fillers, it can develop ‘ridges’ and ‘valleys’ that can cause aches, pains and even alignment issues. Simply adding more foam would potentially make it worse not better, as you already have a good comfort layer of 3" and ‘transition layer’ of 3". You might want to try laying on your side on just the memory foam topper on top of your encased coils, and then do the same with just the latex topper, and note how your shoulder feels, which may clarify the ‘culprit’ for your shoulder pain.

Whichever material you find to be causing the pain, if possible you could try out different firmnesses of latex or memory foam at a local showroom, just to get an idea of the difference and you can then replace (or exchange) the layer with one that is more suitable for your body profile. A number of the Trusted Members of the site carry toppers in a variety of materials, firmnesses, densities and price points and have a lot of experience assisting consumers in finding their ideal sleep solutions, once you have a better idea of what your specific needs may be. You certainly should not have to toss and turn for hours each night!

~ Basilio

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! I will try sleeping on just the springs + latex topper tonight.

What do side sleepers normally end up going with for DIY builds? Looking for some ideas of what has worked for other people (e.g 8" coils + 6 inches of memory foam, 8" coils + 2 inches of latex, etc…)

Is there a big issue in combining layers, e.g latex + foam, and would it be better to stick to one, bigger layer such as 4 inches of foam on top of the coils?

Thanks!

Hi PepperGrower,

The short answer is ‘it depends’! While larger sized sleepers may want extra layers, a lot of this is down to preference…4" or more on a comfort layer suits some folks, while others prefer of need additional support in more of a transition layer. Again, you want to make sure the top layers are not too soft and allowing you to sink in, but it’s different for every person - even someone with your same size, age and Stats may find a mattress you think is too firm to be too soft. And you can ‘mix’ foams and latex rubber in your comfort layer(s) as well - just keep in mind the foam density recommendations I noted. You also might want to review the You may want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and see how they compare to the Mattress Durability Guidelines…latex is one of the most durable materials you can have in a mattress but the feel is not enjoyed by all sleepers, so, again - a matter of preference! As long as you have good support and sufficiently dense foam, either can provide a good solid sleep solution. I would say you likely don’t want a mattress height over 13 or 14 inches, but you should continue testing your existing layers, and consider your next step. A DIY Mattress build can be very rewarding as you can zero in to your exact support needs and comfort preferences, but it can be frustrating as well if you need to switch around or exchange/replace/add layers. Keep note of how your shoulder feels at each step, and have patience, soon enough you should have your ideal mattress!

~ Basilio