DIY Mattress Questions

Yes have been eyeing that one. Thank you for all the info. At this point it’s coils or foam base. I don’t see specs on the Talalay topper in the product description for the eco sleep. Is it 100 natural or blended

At that price point we can only offer the blended however you can always call and upgrade to all natural although I personally use blended talalay.

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/42075/F96B6582-8BBC-4F43-940A-757ACD7EDC05.jpegWouldthisslatbasebecompatiblewithhttps://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/0https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/1https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/2https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/3https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/4

Yes, it looks like it would be fine.

Hi Ken,

Building a daybed/trundle combo for guests and purchased your latex bed for kids twin ILD 32. I purchased a pop up trundle that only has 3 horizontal steel support bars then link springs:
https://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Group-39-Inch-Trundle-Gravity/dp/B000GBR2YK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548792053&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pop+up+trundle&psc=1

When I lay on the trundle bed I can feel the crossbar on the upper 1/3 portion so the base is obviously not supportive enough for the mattress. Would purchasing a fabric covered Bunkie board be a good option to make the trundle base more supportive for a latex mattress?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGMN612/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We don’t want to add much if any height so we would like a Bunkie board that is fairly “thin”.

Also, would like to purchase some 2" twin blended talalay toppers for bed. Can you get global talalay twin toppers in ILD 24?. On your website you only have ILD 19 which I am afraid will be too soft for our guest bed. Looking for a medium firm mattress.

Thanks!

The bunkie board will work but you can also just have Home Depot cut a piece of plywood for you to fit which might be cheaper. Yes, we can have TG drop ship #24 toppers. You can order #19 on the website and put in the comment section “Please make toppers #24”. This would be for blended talalay only.

Thanks Ken. Would the plywood fit the whole length of the mattress? I thought latex mattresses need to “breathe” so putting them on a flat surface is not ideal. That is the reason for a slatted foundation.

Not true at all, latex breathes from all sides. I sell tons of latex mattresses on adjustable beds. Adjustable beds are nothing but plywood hooked up to some motors in fact I use one myself. RV’s are the same thing, plywood deck and no issues at all with breath-ability.

Thanks for the clarification Ken! Plywood would definitely be a less expensive way to go.

Question about the comfort layer density for my design. My wife and I currently sleep on the following Queen latex mattress:

All radium blended talalay:
3" Ild 30
3" Ild 36
3" Ild 30
4 way non quilted stretch cotton cover

Love the mattress and it is working great for us.

Would putting a 2 inch Ild 19 or Ild 24 blended topper over the 6" Ild 32 latex bed for kids give us a similar feel to our current mattess (in terms of firmness)? We would put the topper over the mattress and cover with a five sided mattress protector and sheet.

Thanks again!

I would go with the #19 but either one will work.

Would going with the 2 inches of Ild 19 over 6 inches of Ild 32 be more of a medium feel? This is going to be a guest bed so we’re looking for just a typical medium-firm mattress density.

We talked about it on the phone and you decided to go with the #24 for a medium firm feel.

Ordered today. Looking forward to recieving toppers. Thanks for all your help!!!

Ken,

I posted a comment in an old thread “ikea espevar foundation”. Could you look it over and advise me?

Can you send me the link, there are many posts on that subject.

Hello TMU,

Just officially joined & have learned quite a bit here as well as Arizona Premium Mattress video tutorials & very grateful for spreading the knowledge & educating us on a very expensive/important purchase.

So currently I have a Serta Oakbridge Luxury Firm II https://www.samsclub.com/sams/serta-perfect-sleeper-luxury-hybrid-oakbridge-firm-mattress/prod17360500.ip I purchases about 3 1/2 years ago. Well as probably guessed the 2 1’ inches of cheap poly & .5’ of very low density ‘cool memory foam’ has degraded & left wife & I in pain. I hate to just pitch this mattress but sick of replacing mattress & want a longer lasting comfortable mattress.

My thought was remove all the cheap comfort layers, which would leave the foam encased pocket coil itself, I already have purchased a 2’ soft (20ILD) Dunlop topper from Sleep on Latex should arrive today. Had idea of adding a 1’ or 2’ of medium (Dunlop or Talalay) to either go below or above it to give firmness flexibility & then finish this off with the organic cotton zippered case all from Arizona Premium.

My wife & are are primarily side sleepers between 190-220 lb’s. Thoughts on this setup or am I better off to replace this & bite the bullet one last time on making poor mattress decisions & build a new one from scratch? We liked the luxury firm when new, however wondering if a softer feel would be better for side sleeping. Always had idea softer meant not lasting nor supportive, but latex changes that it seems. For some time have been tossing from hip pain.

One last question I noticed after slicing a small portion of the serta that the initial 1 inch of poly directly over the coils were glued to the edging of foam. I was able to pull back a small portion but then wondered if that needed to stay connected as some sort of way of keeping the foam encasement stable or could that be removed without issue. Would rather not have any poly if I redo this.

Thank You,

Gary

If you already have the 2" soft dunlop I would add 2" of medium dunlop and glue the edges of that to the foam perimeter of the pocket coils to keep everything stable. You can pickup spray foam adhesive from any upholstery supply or even Home Depot. On top of that you can put the 2" soft dunlop and then enclose it all in our zippered cover. You will probably need a 10" cover if the spring measures 6". I think the medium under the soft is more appropriate for you weight and should still give plenty of softness for you hips and shoulders. I not you can always add a layer on top of the mattress.

Thanks for the advice! I had same thought to glue latex to it but wasn’t sure best approach.

No problem, that’s what I’m here for.

Hi all,
I wanted to drop by and give you guys an update on the new mattress we got. This was the first time I’d done a DIY mattress and the entire process was daunting at first. I gained an enormous amount of information from this community and I appreciate you all so much. Sorry for the long post to follow but I want to share as much as I can with you all.

It took me weeks to research materials, manufacturers, online sellers etc. and a few times I was ready to give up and go to the big box store and buy whatever they had. I’m so glad I didn’t!!

After looking at nearly every major brand of latex, foam, and hybrid mattresses online, I decided to purchase my components at Arizona Premium Mattress. After a few emails back and fourth with Ken, I felt ready to make my purchase. Ken was amazing and I got everything from them.

What I purchased was the Bamboo Wool zip cover, Combi Zone Coils, Two inch slab of Medium Dunlop latex, and Three inch slab of Plush Natural Talalay latex. I felt the pricing was very reasonable. There was a back order issue with my coils so shipping took longer than I hoped, but it wasn’t a terrible amount of time.

Originally I was hoping to re-create a Leesa Sapira mattress. I’d tried one and loved how it felt. Ultimately, I decided to abandon the memory foam aspect of this mattress as they tend to breakdown quickly. I regrouped and went all latex and Ken helped me select a similar feel and density using two different latex layer options.

The assembly of the mattress was so easy! I feared having to lift the heavy pieces but the hubby and I had no trouble. It was all packed really well and everything arrived in perfect condition. There was little to no smell from any of the components. As a side note, I also ordered a new bed frame from Get Laid beds online. The store is in the UK and I am US but the shipping was very reasonable and fast. I LOVE my new frame and think the quality is really good.

Once the mattress was built I was so excited to try it out! I’d read it could take up to two weeks for your body to adjust to a new mattress, so I was prepared for a few nights of tossing and turning, and soreness in the morning. However, considering how bad our old mattress was - this would be nothing new for my husband or myself.

It took about 5 seconds in the bed to realize we’d made a great decision! Not a single night of discomfort. Ken helped me choose the perfect layers and firmness levels for us. Hubby and I both agree this is the most comfortable bed we’ve ever had! It’s been about 2 months and I don’t have a single complaint or regret about our purchase. I don’t know about any of you, but that’s not something I can say too often about anything.

I sleep really hot and the latex is very breathable as is the cover. I have no trouble being too warm at night. I hate the feel of temper type foams. I wanted layers to support, but didn’t want any sinkage in my top layer. I was leery of Ken’s suggestion of 3 inches of plush Talalay but he explained his reasoning for it and he was absolutely right! Even though it’s a plush layer, it’s not too soft and doesn’t sink due to the thickness. I am a side sleeper at 130 lbs, hubby is a back sleeper at 215 lbs and we are both very happy with the feel of the mattress.

I can’t recommend Arizona Premium Mattress highly enough! If you’re trying to figure out what you need, definitely send them and email and get some suggestions from them.