Do it yourself mattress

Hi all,

I can’t believe I am fun and find researching mattresses interesting, I have to blame Phoenix and the forum for that. As I continue look for the best choice for me and my better half I am gaining interest in the do it yourself at RMM. My question being is there any downside to purchasing a mattress like this? Having options to change the feel of the mattress is appealing. My other question would be if 3 inches of 5lb sensus would be versatile enough to suit a Stomach/side sleeper (me) and a back/side sleeper( wife) I weigh 200 and my wife 140. Any comments would be appreciated. One last thing, Would this memory foam be that much hotter than gel?

Hi Tennisman,

I can certainly understand this. If someone had told me a few years ago that I would be spending 16 hours a day on a mattress site and forum I would have told them they were crazy … yet here I am … and loving every moment (well mostly anyway) :slight_smile:

If you are comparing a DIY to another mattress using the same materials that doesn’t have the same options for re-arranging and exchanging then I don’t see a down side no and I would say it would be a value bonus. In other words if I had a choice between a mattress with the same materials that had all glued layers and the same cover and both were being sold online at the same price then I would personally choose the DIY version. The only potential down side would be that layers may shift a bit over time but this would be easy to “fix” by zipping open the cover and shifting them back … if it even happened at all. You would also have the option of gluing the layers yourself if that was a preference but you would lose the benefit of being able to change out the foam layers down the road if your needs or preferences changed or if any of the layers needed replacing before the others. Overall … all else being equal … I would treat the ability to rearrange and/or exchange layers as a value bonus.

In terms of the suitability of any particular design (as opposed to its quality or “value”) for your particular body type or sleeping style … it is always better to work directly with the manufacturer themselves who are much more familiar with how each of their options may work for different groups of people based on the “averages” of their customers with similar circumstances. personal testing on mattresses that use similar components and materials can also be very helpful here in providing a guideline for an online choice.

For you … 3" of 5 lb foam would allow some of the firmness of the layers below to “come through” when you were sleeping on your side because 3" is a little on the thin side by itself for a side sleeper that was in your weght range. in other words … the next layer down would be more of a transition layer that contributed to both the comfort layer and the support layer of the mattress.

For her lighter body weight it would be more suitable as a comfort layer by itself because her lighter weight wouldn’t “go through” the comfort layer as easily and would feel less of the layers below it. This is all part of the challenge of a DIY. I would tend to test similar mattress designs on a local basis as a guideline. Generally a mattress with 3" of higher density 5 lb memory foam will tend to be on the firm side so this may need to be modified by your choice of the layer below it.

Slower response memory foams can tend to sleep warmer than faster response lower density memory foams and the gel foams do tend to be a little more breathable and cooler than most of the slower higher density memory foams available. They will also have some 'temporary" benefit that comes from the gel itself because of the thermal conductivity of the gel (which is why it generally feels a little cooler when you put your hand on it) but once the temperatures equalize then the foam itself is an insulator and the temperature benefits of gel are reduced or disappear. There are also many other factors involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress besides just the memory foam itself (such as the quilting, the ticking, the mattress protector, the sheets you use, your bedding and bedclothes, and environmental conditions) all of which have a combined effect on sleeping temperature. In many cases one of these layers that tend to sleep warmer or cooler can be offset by the other layers that are part of temperature regulation. There is more about temperature regulation in post #2 here and about sleeping microclimate in post #29 here.

Overall … I like the idea of a DIY where you have options that aren’t available with a more traditional mattress but I would do some local testing on similar layering and make sure you have a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer as a way to lower the risk so that you are making the best possible initial choice and the odds are better that your mattress will only need some fine tuning that can be accommodated with re-arranging or exchanging a layer rather than a more fundamental change in design.

Phoenix

how to tell if the quality of latex sold online below as good as those used in latex mattresses made by reputable companies?

and here it cost 50% more:
https://www.nestbedding.com/collections/diy-components/products/natural-certified-latex-cores

Hi hubbs,

I think the most important answer would be the integrity, knowledge, and tranparency of the retailer or manufacturer. I would not suggest doing business with FBM if getting what you think you have ordered is important to you. I would read post #2 here and post #2 here among many other posts on the forum before considering them.

There are legitimate price differences between different manufacturers and retailers that are more apples to apples comparisons and is the reason people compare different options and sources and there are also price differences that are based on supplying different materials than what is advertised or based on other “less legitimate” comparisons.

Phoenix

Phoenix, I am blown away by the amount of knowledge and detail you provide to everyone here. Quick Question

For you … 3" of 5 lb foam would allow some of the firmness of the layers below to “come through” when you were sleeping on your side because 3" is a little on the thin side by itself for a side sleeper that was in your weght range. in other words … the next layer down would be more of a transition layer that contributed to both the comfort layer and the support layer of the mattress.

I spend most of my time sleeping on my stomach. I recall reading something earlier getting a thinner comfort layer would be best. Would it be safe to say a 4 inch layer would be best to suit the needs of all four sleeping positions for both me and my wife?

Hi Tennisman,

Stomach/side sleeping is the most difficult combination because they are at opposite ends of the scale. Side sleepers need thicker softer comfort layers to relieve pressure while stomach sleepers need firmer thinner comfort layers to reduce the risk of sleeping in a swayback position. It’s usually best to use the thinnest and firmest possible comfort layer that will “just barely” relieve pressure on the side and no more as this would be the least risky for alignment when you are sleeping on your stomach.

This means that in terms of alignment … 3" would be “safer” but the risk is that it may be on the firm side for your side sleeping. 5 lb memory foam is also firmer than 4 lb so your wife may feel this is on the firm side as well for her side sleeping. I would try to test some local mattresses that had both 3" and 4" of 5 lb memory foam and use these as a reference point to see which you tend to do best with. With all the variations in body shape, weight distribution, and perception … there is no “theory” that can be more accurate than personal experience … but knowing all the moving parts can help you “translate” your local testing into the layering choices that works best for you.

Phoenix