Do not buy a Lucid Memory Foam Mattress!

We purchased a Lucid 10" Memory Foam mattress in January of 2013, and were very excited when it first arrived. It was very firm and extremely comfortable, exactly what we had hoped for. Unfortunately, within six months, the memory foam began to soften, and by August it was giving us both terrible backaches. It was easy to determine this, because the center of the bed, where neither of us sleep, is still as firm today as it was the day we received the mattress.

We tried numerous times to contact Lucid about this problem, and for months received no response. Since Lucid doesn’t list a phone number on their site (intentionally?), we had to use their e-mail form. For over a month, all we got was a roaring silence.
When Lucid finally responded, they flat-out refused to replace…by redefining their warranty on the fly to exclude our specific situation. We sent them a dozen photos, as requested, that clearly demonstrated the mattress was retaining an impression of more than 2" with nobody on it, and was not acting like “memory” foam at all. They informed us the mattress had to retain that impression for a full two hours after it was used. Really???

By my calculations, it would take two people, each weighing in at approximately 900 lbs., sleeping on the bed for three days and nights straight, to sufficiently damage the mattress to qualify it for warranty replacement under their criterion!

At that point, we stopped expecting Lucid to do the right thing. Clearly they have no interest in standing behind what they sell, so we’re now deciding whether to pursue litigation or just chalk the whole thing up to experience and buy another bed.

The bottom line: Don’t make the mistake we made! The Lucid product isn’t comfortable, dependable or durable, and is hugely overpriced, considering it only lasted a year. The Lucid company showed no inclination to honor their warranty, choosing to throw away any hope of our future business, rather than replace a mattress that probably cost them $100 to manufacture.
All-in-all, a totally disappointing purchase from a totally user-unfriendly company. :angry:

Hi acoustictherapy,

Unfortunately your situation is common throughout the industry and I think most consumers completely misunderstand what warranties cover and what they don’t. In general … warranties only cover manufacturing defects and not the softening of the foam or the loss of comfort and support that goes with it (see post #174 here). Visible impressions that remain in the mattress that are less than the warranty exclusion are part of all warranties in the industry … not just Lucid. These are often about 1.5" although they may be more (as in the case of Lucid) or occasionally less.

Outside of making sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … the most important part of a mattress purchase is knowing the quality of the materials inside it which will tell you more about the useful life of a mattress than any warranty (see this article). The foam quality guidelines I would suggest using are in post #4 here. Mattress warranties have little to nothing to do with the useful life of a mattress and are often more about marketing than anything else.

There is more about the Lucid 16" mattress and some of the information I would want to know before considering it in post #2 here. There is also more about some of the cautions I would suggest for any mattress where the materials are made in China or Asia in post #6 here. I also wouldn’t consider any company where there wasn’t an easy way to reach the retailer or manufacturer on the phone.

No matter which mattress you choose … in almost every case the warranty will include an exclusion like the Lucid (although the depth of visible impressions that are covered will vary) no matter which mattress you buy and it’s always much more important to know the quality of the materials that are inside a mattress … especially in the upper layers which are the weak link of a mattress … than to use a warranty as an indication of the useful life of a mattress.

Phoenix