Does anyone own a mattress by Diamond Mattress Company in California?

Hi,
I recently purchased a Plush Pillowtop Beautyrest by Simmons. It felt great in the store. But, the one I received feels just awful. I haven’t slept a wink. I’m allowed to exchange it for a 20% markup, which is reasonable.
My second choice is a hybrid, Ethos Waterfall by Diamond Mattress in California. They have good info on their website, but I can only find 3 google reviews online. They have been in business since 1960, so it’s strange to have so few comments. I like that the comfort layer is talalay latex. I’m hoping that’s cooler than the memory foam in the Pillowtop mattress I bought. Also, the pillowtop has a mushy feel to it. I’m only 128 pounds, so that’s suprising. Will the latex be more supportive?
Any advice on this company and mattress would be so greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sarah

Hi zumba1,

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones including all the major brands such as Simmons, Sealy, and Serta (see the guidelines here). I would also avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of all the layers and components inside it (see this article).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

[quote]My second choice is a hybrid, Ethos Waterfall by Diamond Mattress in California. They have good info on their website, but I can only find 3 google reviews online. They have been in business since 1960, so it’s strange to have so few comments. I like that the comfort layer is talalay latex. I’m hoping that’s cooler than the memory foam in the Pillowtop mattress I bought. Also, the pillowtop has a mushy feel to it. I’m only 128 pounds, so that’s suprising. Will the latex be more supportive?
Any advice on this company and mattress would be so greatly appreciated![/quote]

While other people’s comments about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would generally avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress, how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you, or how two different mattresses may compare and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

You can see some comments about Diamond Mattress in post #2 here.

I would also keep in mind that it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved outside of just the foam in the comfort layers including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. In other words some people can sleep hot on a mattress that most people would be fine with. Having said that … latex in general is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, and memory foam ) so it would be unusual that someone would sleep hot on a mattress that used latex comfort layers.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types and combinations of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if you can’t test a mattress in person then your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While you are the only one that can decide whether a mattress is “comfortable” or is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (if two mattresses use equally durable materials then the mattress will also be just as durable).

If you can find out the specifics of all the layers and components in the mattress and post them on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the layers inside it and help you compare them to the quality/durability guidelines here so you can make sure there are no lower quality or less durable materials that would be a “weak link” in the mattress.

If careful testing confirms that the Ethos Waterfall is a good match for you in terms of PPP and if you have also confirmed that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the materials and components and that it also compares well to the other options that are available to you based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the great info, Phoenix. It’s very helpful and I appreciate it!