Does it really take 24-48 hours to regain form after shipping?

The bed has definitely firmed up some. At first I thought I should have gone firmer, now I’m glad I didn’t.

Hi Drog,

Yes … you can sleep on it right away. The latex will usually fully expand within a few seconds (depending to some degree on how long it has compressed). The polyfoam may take a little longer but will usually not be far behind.

This is the nature of latex and why those who prefer it like it so much. Many people who sit on it or press on it with their hands are completely surprised at the difference when they lie on it. This is because of the nature of the material, it’s point elasticity, compression modulus, resilience and of course the ILD chosen. Latex is unique in its ability to be responsive, soft and supportive … all at the same time :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you. After sleeping on the mattress for a few nights, the mattress is much softer than what I am used to (though it offers great support for its level of firmness). I also seem to be sleeping great on it even though I’m a bit sore in the morning. I’m sure my body is still adjusting to it.

One thing I have noticed is it sleeps on the hot side, and when the mattress starts getting hot is seems like I sink in more than I do when I first lie down on it. I would like to keep the same feeling I get when I first lie down and perhaps add some surface comfort without adding any plushness to the bed and cool it down a bit. I would not mind a bit of extra firmness though I don’t think it’s really necessary.

Having said that, what kind of mattress pad would you recommend? The wool pads look really thick and I’m afraid they may add too much plushness to my bed. As an experiment, I took the top quilted comfort layer from my old bed and placed it on top of my new bed which made the bed way too plush for me. When I lay down on the bed over top of my thin hand made quilt, it seems like a great fit and definitely keeps me cool (I’ve actually woken up shivering when falling asleep this way). Would a cotton topper be better for my needs?

Thanks!

Hi drog,

The combination of more breathable quilting foam and latex is generally fairly cool sleeping for most people but there are many factors involved in temperature regulation including how far you are sinking in so besides the ones you can’t change (the layers and cover of the mattress) … and how far you sink in (the combination of your body weight, shape, sleeping positions, and the layers of the mattress) the things you can change are the mattress protector/mattress pad and the sheets and bedding … both of which can make a big difference in temperature.

Polyfoam and latex isn’t heat sensitive like memory foam and while all materials have some slight “creep” (which is the tendency of foam to relax with constant pressure), neither would account for your perception that the foams get softer with heat so this would be more of a subjective perception than an actual softening of the layers.

It’s very difficult to firm up a mattress because any soft layers under firmer layers will still compress but it can be adjusted slightly. A wool mattress pad or topper would be a good choice for this because it can add some localized pressure relief but will also result in less sinking in to the mattress foam layers and will add breathability and temperature control. Your experiment with the had made quilt (not sure what this is made of or its thickness) seems to confirm that a choice of protector and/or sheets may solve this. The quilted comfort layer you were mentioning is probably just adding more foam or synthetic fiber to the mattress and it doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t work.

Plushness and softness are really the same thing and to me it sounds like you already have enough of both (you seem to be looking more to firm up the comfort layers than soften it).

First though … I would take a look at your protector, sheets and bedding. Can you let me know which of these (if any) you are currently using… and is your mattress on the wire grid foundation or something else?

Phoenix

I am not using a protector at this time (wanted to see how the bed felt first). The sheets are cheap microfiber (polyester?) and I have no doubt they are a contributing factor to the heat, however, it seems a little warmer on this bed than my previous bed when using the same sheets (a sleep number like air bed with a few thin layers of convoluted and memory foam and a quilted top). My mattress is on the wire grid.

I changed my pillow from memory foam to a more traditional material and that seems to have helped with the night sweats, but my back is still warmer than I’d like. I do not seem to be bottoming out on the bed. Also, the top of the bed does not seem to be a traditional quilted top.

The quilt I was referring to is very thin but I can’t remember what it is made out of (whatever it is, it is very cool to lie down on but keeps me warm enough when I am underneath of it).

Hi drog,

All other things being equal and ruling out any other factors … this could be the reason. You may be sinking in more deeply into this mattress than with your previous mattress and with the sheets possibly being a less breathable layer … they could be reducing the airflow and resulting in a thicker “insulating” layer around your body. A leather fabric on a car seat that covers foam would be an example of how a single layer can lead to temperature or perspiration issues.

Because you are looking to reduce the amount you sink in (to be confirmed because you also mentioned wanting some extra “plushness”) … and because of the excellent breathability of wool, a wool mattress protector or even a mattress pad (a little thicker) that has protective qualities may well do the trick in both of the factors you are looking to fine tune. There’s more information and some links to some good resources in post #10 here about some of the differences between different types of protectors, mattress pads, and mattress toppers and some examples in post #15 here.

An example of a thin wool protector (not so much a mattress pad) that is water resistant (not waterproof), thin and stretchy (so it has less effect on the mattress) and very breathable would be the Dormeir. They are high quality and available at several places including here and here. More information about various wool mattress pads and sources is in the last part of post #32 here and in post #3 here.

I would probably suggest waiting till your experience on the mattress has “stabilized” and you have more clarity on what you want to adjust and how and then deciding what if anything you may wish to add to the mattress.

Phoenix

You’re right. This mattress is much different than what I’m used to. It also doesn’t seem to feel as warm as it did before. How long does it take for the experience to stabilize?

Hi drog,

This can vary a lot with the person and many external factors as well but it will generally be anywhere from a few days to as much as 3 months. For most people the first month is the most important. You can tell that things are “stabilizing” when your experience on the mattress and how you sleep is more consistent night to night rather than one day feeling one way and the next not being sure or feeling differently. Once you consistently feel pretty much the same every night (either good or a consistent set of “not so good” symptoms) … then you will know that this is likely to be your longer term experience and it’s time to consider any fine tuning or adjustments if necessary. Sometimes it can be very surprising how differently people feel after a few weeks than they felt when they first started sleeping on the mattress.

During this time frame … you may also notice things moving in a certain direction (such as better or worse “symptoms” in certain areas) and this can be a pointer as well in terms of which direction things are moving.

In general it depends on the person (flexibility, health issues, how wide an ideal “range” they may have etc), how much the body has “memorized” a less than ideal sleeping position on their previous mattress, how different the old and new mattresses are, the type of testing that was done (subjective “comfort” or more objective needs and preferences) and on the many external factors that may also be affecting how you sleep.

Phoenix

How does the Natura Wash N Snuggle compare to the Dormier if my goal is to keep myself cool and sink in to the mattress a little less?

Hi drog,

There also appears to be two versions which is the Wash n Snuggle fitted mattress pad (16 oz/sq yd) and the Wash n Snuggle topper which is thicker (would have more wool).

I know the Dormeir is quite stretchy and has 7.5 oz/sq yd of wool (quite low and thin) so it would have less effect on the feel of the mattress than the Natura mattress pad or topper compared to the Dormeir. Protectors with more wool would tend to modify the compression and feel more and the stretchiness of the cover will also have an effect as well (more stretchy will allow for more compression of the latex underneath).

Phoenix

Thanks. Since I’m looking for a little less compression, I’m not sure the Dormier is for me (though it seems like a great product).

Hi drog,

Based on wanting to have a bigger effect and reduce the compression and “firm up” the latex layers a bit … I also think that a thicker wool protector or pad will probably be closer to what you are looking for. This is one of the ways that you can actually make a mattress a bit firmer although there are limits to how far you can go and the type of firmness (surface pressure relief or deeper support) that can be affected.

Phoenix

Thanks again. The Natura product I was looking at seems to be about 10 oz per square yard (judging by weight and looking at similar products). I suppose I could go for a non washable thicker pad like a snug fleece, but they have polyester backing and I’m trying to reduce heat as well.

Drog, How about this 1.5" thick wool pad? It’s expensive, but looks really nice and it gives you a good layer of wool covered in cotton which should keep the heat at bay.

http://www.nofeathersplease.com/product/PADECO1.5

It definitely looks nice but it’s more than I want to spend right now.

Hi drog,

I think the pad/topper that Maia linked would likely make a good choice for what you are looking for. It’s made by PureRest.

There is more information about wool pads/toppers and various sources in post #2 and 3 here (and a couple of other posts that are linked there as well) which may also be helpful.

Some of them are a little easier on the budget although wool in general is not an inexpensive material.

Phoenix

You know, I am tempted to buy one of the Natura seconds from Organic Sleep Products and decide later if I want something better. Phoenix is right in that it may take a while for the experience to stabilize and right now I can feel some muscles stretching that I don’t think have moved for decades (and were usually happy not moving at all). This has caused some burning and pain and I think it’s affecting how I am perceiving the feel of the mattress (why I can’t decide if it’s too soft or too firm). I think this is also the reason I thought the mattress was hot. I do want some protection for my bed because I can not keep my dog off of it no matter what I do (as soon as I leave she jumps on).

Having said that, is there a general rule of thumb on how deep you should sink in to the mattress to form the cradle? The cradle is something I’ve completely ignored in the past but now I find myself taking measurements.

Hi drog,

I think one of the Natura seconds would be a good idea because a protector is important, especially with a dog taking ownership of your mattress :). Natura makes good quality products which are normally fairly pricey but these are certainly good value assuming that there are no major flaws that would affect performance (which is unlikely).

I should have mentioned before too that the snugfleece with the polyester backing is washable (which is why they use the polyester). The one that is cotton backed needs to be drycleaned because the cotton backing will shrink if it’s washed. In another post today Will10025g linked to another wool fleece pad at overstock which may be an option as well although I don’t know the weight of the wool that’s in it.

How evenly you sink in to the mattress is more important than the depth of the cradle and some people prefer to be more “in” their mattress (and this is one of the reasons that some like memory foam) while some like to be more “on” their mattress. As long as the cradle is “enough” to redistribute weight and make sure there are no pressure points then more than that would be a matter of preference. Measuring the cradle depth really won’t tell you as much as the alignment of your spine and joints and as you mentioned is seems that there are muscles that are taking their time to loosen and come into a more “normal” alignment. I suspect that the wool may help as well because with a little bit of thickness it can add some surface softness under the pressure points but will also reduce the compression of softer latex underneath it which may be the combination of softness/firmness that “fits” what you are experiencing and may also ease the muscle tension.

There are a few toppers in the wool topper thread I linked (including the snugfleece) that have a money back guarantee which may make them worth considering as well.

Phoenix

Thanks again. After taking a ton of ibuprofen and clearing off my massage chair last night before going to bed, I must say my back is feeling much better and I feel like I got a good nights sleep last night (feeling very alert even without drinking a cup of espresso which I keep forgetting to make – something that is unheard of).

Will the wool pads increase the sensation of softness? I’m kind of scared to add any more. The bed is already plush enough. I guess I’m thinking of when I added the top layer from my old bed to the new one. I don’t think I sagged in to the mattress as much but at the same time it felt like there was way too much cushion.

I think I’m leaning toward the Natura Wash N Snuggle again. Should be easy to clean and care for (which is desirable since I own a dog).

Drog,

I’m going on 2 weeks on our mattress and I believe its finally stabilizing. I’m finding that the past couple of nights, it has firmed up and now I’m hoping to get a mattress pad that will soften it up a bit. I was really surprised at how soft it was when we first got it but it really has firmed up.

Cheers,
K