Done with Latex! Eithe Berkely or Sleep number

Hello,

So i purchased a latex mattress from FSF about 6 months ago. I switched out a couple of layers and then i thought inwas all set. However, my side is just sagging way too much and im sick of it.

Is there any mattress out there that does not sag???

At this point im thinking Sleep number because it has an air system and this way when it softens or saggs i can just inflate it up and be good to go. The other option is to go with something with more support like the Berkely Sleep bed that has both pocketed coils and latex.

Any thoughts?

Any experiences with either of these brands?

Thanks

Hi yianni54,

Higher quality surface layers will sag or soften less than lower quality surface layers but it depends on whether you are talking about “virtual” impressions or actual sagging. If your latex actually has visible impressions then there may be some defect and I would talk with FSF about a warranty claim. You can measure the actual sag in any layer by putting it flat on the floor and resting a straight edge across it or using a string across the layer to measure the depth of any sag in the layer or the mattress.

You can see my thoughts about airbeds here.

I think highly of Berkeley Ergonomics and they can be a good option for those who prefer a high quality pocket coil / latex hybrid or a combination of pocket coils, microcoils, and latex. They have several options for customizing their mattresses and microcoils are a very durable comfort layer but of course your own personal testing will tell you how well any of their mattress designs will match your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

A forum search on Berkeley Ergonomics (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

Foam Sweet Foam makes a pretty good product. I have to assume you have put in firmer layers to stop the sagging and when you did, the bed was too firm to be comfortable. Same thing happened to me. I ended up hating all latex beds. Having 2-4 inches of latex on top of springs works a lot better for me. I am still trying to figure out why.

Hi Crock,

For some people an innerspring support layer just seems to work better than other combinations and it’s just that some people are built differently or respond differently to certain designs than others. In many cases it’s not really possible to go to the depth of analysis to even be able to identify why but post #2 here has some information about the difference between an innerspring and latex support layer and how they respond. Some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that could sleep on anything they wanted sleep on an innerspring latex hybrid. Of course the same could be said for any other high quality mattress because there is a huge range of different preferences and body types.

Phoenix

Yes, FSF was very good. I have no complaints witht he service or anything. I think its just that latex doesnt hold up that great for heavier people (I am 5’11 200). My wife for example has a soft top layer and has zero softening or sag but she only weighs 118.

Im either going with Berkely or the air bed.

Is my logic on the airbed correct? If a layer softens I can just pump more air in to firm it up? Thanks

Latex is more durable than any other foam and Airbeds use Latex or memory foam on the comfort layer as well. I am about your size plus 10-12 lbs and my Latex setup is superb (28 ILD over 36 ILD) - very little give but just enough to align my spine correctly.
I don’t really know the FSF product but most places have foam so firm most people cannot sleep on it (36/40, or something similar).
No matter your choice, I wish you well.

Hi jianni54,

I would say ditto to jeffmoody’s comments about latex. You may have a softer version of latex than is most suitable for your body type and sleeping position.

As he also mentioned an airbed is only the support core and they use the same materials in the comfort layers as any other mattress. The upper layers of a mattress are generally the “weak link” in a mattress regardless of the type of support layers or components that are used in the deeper layers (latex, polyfoam, innerspring, air, etc).

When lower quality materials in the comfort layers soften or break down then they need to be replaced because changing the firmness of the support core won’t “fix” comfort layers that have softened or broken down so your solution wouldn’t be an effective way to solve softening issues in the comfort layers.

The upper layers of a mattress are primarily for pressure relief and the deeper layers are primarily for support and it’s not really effective to try and fix one by changing the other.

Phoenix

Ok so who online sells a good pocketed coil product?

The ones I know tend to be more in the premium space. But some ideas I know of:

There’s another company I recently read about here too… Vi or Vu perhaps. Oh I just found it I think, Vi-Spring

Hi yianni54,

There are three members of the site that sell pocket coil / latex hybrids that can be shipped economically across the country.

One is Bay Bed and Mattress which has a component system where you are able to customize the innerspring and the latex comfort layers as well. Dan would be well worth talking to.

One is Dreamfoam which has a lower budget pocket coil / latex hybrid that includes 2" of latex in the pillowtop (I don’t know the density of the other foam layers below the pillowtop so you may want to check.

The third is My Green Mattress which has a 3" removeable latex topper where you can choose different firmness levels over a pocket coil base mattress.

There are thousands of other pocket coil products (and Berkeley Ergonomics are also a high quality and customizable choice) but they are not as commonly sold online and you would need to evaluate each one based on the quality of the materials in the mattress. In many cases the freight cost of shipping a complete mattress can add a substantial amount to the cost of a pocket coil mattress unless it is compressed and can be shipped using a courier system.

It may be worth checking some of the other members of the site to see if they can ship any of their mattresses that you are interested in to your location and what the cost involved would be. Of course you wouldn’t be able to test the mattress to see if it was suitable for your specific needs and preferences so buying an online mattress where there are few options available to customize or fine tune your mattress or without a good return policy after a purchase can be somewhat risky.

Phoenix

The ones I know tend to be more in the premium space. But some ideas I know of:

There’s another company I recently read about here too… Vi or Vu perhaps. Oh I just found it I think, Vi-Spring[/quote]

Which ones are in the prmium space you know of? Thanks

@yianni54. Those listed on the thecleanbedroom.com are the ones I’ve most commonly seen, with the more expensive ones being more premium priced. They’re all organic there, so that causes a premium price right from the start. Some do incorporate a layer of latex, others dont. I’m most familiar with the green sleep nui (having tested it in showroom and considered it myself). But I was also looking at royal-pedic, but there were no retailers sufficiently close to me.

I’ve only heard of Vi-Spring, from another forum member. http://www.vispring.com
A look at their website tells me they’re likely in the premium range too.

Hi dn and yianni54,

[quote]I’ve only heard of Vi-Spring, from another forum member. www.vispring.com
A look at their website tells me they’re likely in the premium range too. [/quote]

VI Springs would generally be considered in the “ultra premium” range. One of the members here Brickell Mattress / Select Foam sells them and they would be happy to tell you more about them … just be prepared for some serious sticker shock :slight_smile:

Some other similar innerspring / natural fiber mattresses are mentioned in post #2 here.

You can also read some of my thoughts about more premium mattresses in post #2 here and post #2 here.

A few other ultra premium brands are mentioned in post #14 here but these are not mattress that I would suggest buying without extensive personal testing and consultations.

Phoenix