Don't feel supported on back?

I just visited my local mattress manufacturer/retailer store which is part of the trusted member directory.

I was hoping I could purchase one of their mattresses. I like that they are local manufacturers and are transparent about their materials.

I sleep on my back and on my side, but predominately on my back. All the mattresses I tried were comfortable on my side, but none of them supported my back appropriately. My hips sinked too low and I could feel that my back wasn’t in alignment. They were all medium firm, although one was a latex mattress that he said was slightly firmer. They felt less comfortable than the majority of national brand mattresses that I’ve tried.

Now I’m back to square one and don’t know what to do. I came to another mattress store and my back feels more supported on all these mattresses. I’ve been to this place three times, and the most comfortable every time is the $500 Serta. But I know it must be made of poor materials that will break down quickly. Maybe it’s worth it for the price, realizing I will have to replace it sooner!?

I’ve been using my grandparents’ mattress for nearly 7 years now. I have no clue how old it is, possibly 20+ years. But it is comfortable and I don’t wake up with pain (aside from occasionally when I “sleep awkward” because my son is in my bed hogging all the space). I don’t want to spend $1k+ for a mattress that won’t even be as comfortable as this old one.

Hi Cassandra,

Sorry you’ve had so much trouble finding a comfortable mattress; remember any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

You might want to get back to basics and take a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know compared to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how long specific materials will hold up over time.

Mattresses are such a subjective purchase, no one can tell you what type of mattress or what firmness will work best for you. You are on the right track, noting which materials and firmnesses are not comfortable. Latex, for example, has a particular feel, and not everyone enjoys it. Certainly, if you find one of the ‘Major Brands’ that you like, and go into it with the awareness the durability may not be great, but it’s within your budget, go for it! Realizing a memory foam or polyfoam mattress of unknown density of specifications isn’t going to last for decades is part and parcel of being an ‘informed consumer’. Also as your body profile changes over time, there’s no telling how you may feel when you next need to replace your mattress, and as well there may be additional options in your area when theta time comes…as long as there is a decent ‘sleep trial’ period, you can get an idea if the mattress you choose will be suitable for you.

I wish you success on your new mattress journey, and please feel free to post an update with your final choice and your experiences with it!

~ Basilio

Thank you so much for your input! Sorry I never responded, I gave up on the mattress hunt for a bit lol. Hoping to get one in the next couple weeks though.

Hi Cassandra,

I understand…sometimes it’s good to step back and let some time pass! It’s easy to get what @Phoenix terms ‘analysis paralysis’…let us know if you run into any questions when you resume your search!

~ Basilio