Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Just wanted to thank you for the forum. Itā€™s helping us make a decision on our next mattress. Being in Houston, weā€™re leaning towards Texas Mattress Makers. They seem to have everyone beat on price and the quality is comparable.

Hi photog72,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!.

As you know I think highly of Texas Mattress Makers and they are one of the members of the site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency so you are certainly looking in a good direction :slight_smile:

They also use higher quality and more durable materials in their mattresses than most of the mattresses you will find in the mainstream industry ā€¦ especially if you are comparing them to major manufacturers (most of which I would suggest avoiding) so they would be more than just ā€œcomparableā€ based on their quality/durability.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thanks for this site - Have already purchased a Spindle mattress in the past month for our toddler to transition from her crib and now shopping to replace our old Costco memory foam mattress with natural latex as well.

Itā€™s great to be able to get all of the education and information on this site to make a more informed decision than simply going to the normal stores and Iā€™m sure weā€™ll end up saving a significant amount in the process.

Hi Dirt McGirt,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the information here has been helpful to you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Since weā€™re buying two full size mattresses (for my kids), we decided to go with Texas Mattress Makers. Iā€™d like to order online (and pick up this weekend). How do I go about receiving the 5% discount? I see it listed, but thereā€™s no code.

Also, perhaps you can show me where to go, but is the ā€œnew every 8 yearsā€ a marketing gimmick or is it true that mattresses last that long?

Hi photog72,

Most of the members of the site donā€™t have a discount code and you just need to call and let them know that you are a member of the forum here before you place your order.

While there is no way to quantify how long any particular mattress will last for any particular person because it will depend on many variables ā€¦ if a mattress isnā€™t on the edge of being too soft for someone when itā€™s new and it doesnā€™t have any lower quality materials or components or weak links in the design relative to their body type then for most people it would be reasonable to expect that it will maintain a suitable level of comfort/support for 7 - 10 years. Depending on the type and quality of the materials some mattresses can last considerably longer (and it could be considerably less if there is a weak link in the mattress). There is more about the ā€œminimumā€ specs I would suggest and the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information on this site. Iā€™ve been researching what mattress to get for the past week and finally decided on the Tuft and Needle with a foundation from us box spring. It feels kind of odd to me to purchase a foundation that is half the price of the mattress itself, but I guess it makes a lot more sense when you look at both of them as a single unit rather than two separate things.

My current spring mattress is older than me so Iā€™m just really excited to finally get rid of it.

Hi LanH,

Iā€™m glad the site was helpful ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress (and foundation) :).

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive them.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=50908]Hi photog72,
]Most of the members of the site donā€™t have a discount code and you just need to call and let them know that you are a member of the forum here before you place your orderā€¦[/quote]

When I called, they had no idea what I was talking about. I decided to walk in, and they still had no idea what I was talking about - when referring to this site. However, they do offer a 10% discount to employees of certain organizations.. But, I didnā€™t know how/where they applied it. I wound up buying two full size mattresses(one for my son and one for my daughter). The price listed on their website was $215 per mattress. In the store, they had a printed sheet showing $209. I wound up paying $195 per mattress. If I use the discount from the $209 price, I received approximately 6.7% off that price. If itā€™s from the $215 price, the discount was roughly 9.3%. Either way, itā€™s more than the 5% discount listed here. However, it still doesnā€™t fully give me the 10% discount I was due from the webpage I linked to.

Otherwise, the buying process is simple. I think there may have been a few things lost in translation. The salesman wasnā€™t fluent in English. Texas Mattress Makers is located in one of the most heavily Hispanic parts of the city, so it wasnā€™t a surprise to me to experience someone who is not conversationally fluent in English.

With a toddler bed, my 3 y/o son seemingly fought going to sleep every night. When I put him down to sleep on the new mattress, he was out like a light. Heā€™s still not awake. Iā€™ll have to ask him how he liked his new bed. He did complain about the smell, but thatā€™s to be expected with a new mattress.

Hi photog72,

Thatā€™s odd. I suppose itā€™s possible that you were dealing with new employees but many of the members here have received the discount. If all else fails then you could always let them know to check with Youval the owner. They also have the TMU logo on the front page of their site so you could ā€œpoint toā€ it if you are dealing with an employee that didnā€™t know what you meant. In your case though itā€™s a moot point since you received a discount anyway.

Most importantly though ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just placed an order for King size T&N mattress.

Hopefully it arrives soon. really excited about mattress after reading positive reviews and worried also buying something like mattress online. Hopefully awsome return policy saves in case of issue.

Hi lovenil,

I think you made a good quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Thanks for the great site. I did not know how little I knew about mattresses.

Hi LawrenceCounty,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing, and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Just wanted to offer a quick note of thanks for all of the useful information youā€™ve compiled on this site. Itā€™s been very helpful to me as Iā€™ve gone about researching mattresses in anticipation of an upcoming purchase. Keep up the good work.

Hi JTP,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I live in tn. 37075. Any good retailers that you recommend in our area?

Hi kpreyer129,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Nashville area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Have lurked on this site for a long time, and Iā€™ve finally decided on a T&N mattress. Super excited to order that and finally have some decent sleep.

Thanks for all you do! :slight_smile:

Having a difficult time deciding between the Leesa, Casper, T&N, and Dreamfoam. Planning to just order the King T&N now since the price point is best and if I like it, great. If not, I can always return it and step my pricepoint up to the Leesa or Casper. I was reading that the Leesa provides better edge support (for sitting on the edge) than the Casper. Has anyone else noticed that? How does the T&N handle sitting on the edge?