Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi Phoenix,
I am interested in the ikea MORGONGÅVA latex mattress for my daughter as it’s very reasonably priced and it’s available for us to try before purchase. I am weary about buying a mattress online that I am not able to try beforehand and that does not have a very good comfort guarantee as our bodies behave very differently after spending 8+ hours on a mattress in a state of sleep than awake in a showroom for 30 min. I understand that the MORGONGÅVA is 85% natural latex but are there any harmful VOCs with this mattress? I have read that most 100% Natural Latex advertised is actually a blend of natural rubber and synthetic latex aka “styrene butadiene rubber” (SBR) which are two petroleum based chemicals, and are dangerous to health. Is this mattress safe for kids? Are there other stores in the Toronto area that sell a comparable (or superior) product for a reasonable price that we can try beforehand and have a good comfort guarantee?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey MaryD,

I’m not Phoenix, but I think I can help with some of your questions.

“Harmful” has no exact definition in a situation such as this, but what I think your concern may be would be for testing for harmful substances and the like. There’s a commonly linked post here that speaks about this directly and I’ll copy it here for you as I think it may be helpful to you:

[i]There is more about the different types of organic and safety certifications such as Oeko-tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold, C2C, and CertiPUR-US in post #2 here and more about some of the differences between organic and safety certifications in post #2 here and there are also some comments in post #42 here that can help you decide whether an organic certification is important to you for environmental, social, or personal reasons or whether a “safety” certification is enough.

The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label.[/i]

That unfortunately would not be accurate information you received. If a mattress is advertised as 100% Natural latex, it means that the latex (rubber) component is from the hevea tree and not synthetically derived. There are of course small amounts of other accelerants, antioxidants, gelling agents, etc., added to complete the finished foamed rubber latex piece. If a latex is listed as Blended, the latex (rubber) part would be a mix of natural and synthetic latex. Blended latex is still able to pass very strict safety certifications such as Oeko-Tex 100, level I (for infants and children), and would generally be considered to be a quite “safe” material as far as that testing goes.

Use the search feature here on the forum and type in Toronto and I know you’ll get some results, as the greater Toronto area has been discussed quite a bit here on the forum. I’m 5 hours from Toronto, so I don’t have any specific recommendations for you in that area.

I hope that information helps!

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Thanks Jeff. This is helpful. I do not see any third party certifications listed online for the Morgongåva. Does this mean that the mattress is not certified and if not there is really no way to be sure of it’s safety, regardless as to whether they advertise “Natural”? I am not fussy about Organic or not but I do want a reasonable level of assurance that there are no/low VOCs.

Thanks

I knew there was something I forgot to add in my previous reply. Ikea does not list any “safety certifications” on their web site for the latex used in this mattress. But if the latex is still supplied for this model by Mountain Top it would be Oeko-Tex and/or TFI-Germany certified.

All 4 of these children were taken from their mother who doesn’t have custody and fled out of the county with them.
July 4th they left from Lost Angeles airport and their final destination was Paris France.
We do not know the whereabouts they may be now. They could be anywhere in the world.

Our Facebook page: Redirecting...

Hi vishousdeelishous.

I am glad that you found our site and the information useful.

As you’re aware Sleep On Latex is one of our Trusted members using high quality and durable materials and if SOL system is your final choice remember to email me at Phoenix(at)themattressunderground(dot)com to get your Sleep On Latex discount code.

As an aside even though you are looking at something from one of our trusted members, in general I would still not recommend to base your decision on reviews as they can be very misleading and I would choose based on suitability and the quality of the componentry (which in this case is very high)

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I look forward to learning about what you decide to do and assist you with any questions you may have.

Phoenix

Great website here - I appreciate all of the information.

Thank you for all the helpful information. I’m heading to Dormio today to shop for a mattress!

Hi hyperthermophile.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are welcome. I am glad you are on your way to Dormio, who as you are probably aware is one of our Trusted Members here As with all our members I have no doubt that they will not hesitate to inform and assist you with finding the best mattress for your needs and preferences…and of course don’t forget to ask for your mattress forum member discount.

I hope you have some time to return and share your experience with us.

Phoenix

We are replacing four beds due to Harvey flooding. Your information has been very helpful. We plan on buying from Texas Mattress Makers. We visited there recently and were impressed with their transparency and low key sales approach. We plan on going back this weekend to make our choices and ask for the Mattress Underground discout.

I used the data and research back in 2014 to learn about and pick a perfect mattress. About to make another purchase, just saying thanks to all the people that post research here.

Hi Shawnk6.

I am glad that you found the information here helpful and that you are on your way to getting your new mattresses.
Congratulation on your decision! :cheer:

As you are aware, Texas Mattress Makers is one of our trusted members here using high quality and durable materials, which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry. I am glad to hear that they are taking good care of you and I can match

I look forward to any updates you might have once you get the beds and you and yours have a chance to sleep on them for a while.

Phoenix

Note to jdevalk: You are welcome! I am glad that you found us.

Thanks again for everyone who takes the time to post information here, but in particular the “high volume” mods and site runners. I took the time to go through quite a bit of the tutorials and targeted forum areas and really walked away with zero questions about what we needed to look for. After trying out custom innerspring and latex models, in the end we decided to go with a firm 9" sleep on latex. We just felt it was something that was quite comfortable that we could trust in terms of durability at a good price/value point. We had a firmer Tempur Rhapsody memory foam mattress prior to this that provided a really nice feel, but it only lasted about 4-5 years. After trying out the latex mattresses at various outlets, they certainly feel different than either an innerspring or a poly/memory foam, but it still has some of the foam feel without the “sinking” feeling.

Is there still a discount code for sleep on latex?
Thanks again to everyone.

Hi nat76,

I am glad that the information provided here was useful and left you with “zero questions”. We have many visitors like you that quietly find their way around. :slight_smile:

Scott told me that you found your way around for the Sleep On Latex discount code.
Congratulation for a sound decision! :lol:

As you’re aware, you certainly are considering a great quality/value choice from one of [url=https://mattressunderground.com/the-underground/our-trusted-members.html] our Trusted Members here [/url] which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with [url=https://mattressunderground.com/about-us/services/recommended-by-the-mattress-underground.html]best in the industry[/url] in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I look forward to your feedback and updates you about your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

I am replacing my mattress due to flooding, and am so glad of the wealth of information this site has to provide. I was going to go to a big box store, but thanks to this site, I found we have a great manufacturer right here in Calgary (Sleep Boutique). Will be heading there tomorrow to check it out!

Mirren

Hi MTurnbull/Miren.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! I am glad you have found us. :slight_smile:

You’re lucky to be so close to Sleep Boutique and have a chance to use their expertize in person and help you find a good match for you. They have a wide range good quality/value products with better price point than major brands or retailers using similar mattress componentry and materials.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course, any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Don’t forget to ask for your “The Mattress Underground” discount.

I have been researching mattresses on this site for the last couple weeks and have learned a lot.
Thank you for a great forum!

• Lief

Hi Lief.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad that you find our site helpful and informative and that you successfully engaged some our expert members. Keep us posted!

Phoenix

On our way to Mattress Makets today to get a new mattress!

This has been a great resource! Thanks for all the info