Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Just wanted to report back about our purchase of a mattress at Sleeponlatex.com with the discount from TMU. All went very well; no issues. Very satisfied with the process that in large part began here at TMU. Regarding the mattress itself we have only just set it up. Thanks for the comprehensive information.

Hey Dcfas,

Thank you so much for the update on SOL, and you are very welcome, glad it can help.

Thanks
Sensei

I almost made a huge mistake buying a ā€œwell rated for everyoneā€ mattress but decided to do a bit more research, scared of how confused I would get - but this forum actually made it really easy and Iā€™m confident Iā€™m making a decision on a quality bed that can hopefully be tweaked to our needs!

Hi Allsilco.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that our site and forum helped you bypass most of the misleading information, confusion, and frustration of mattress shopping, Hopefully, can work with mattress people who have your long term interests at heart, and help make sure that you can ā€œtweak the bed to your needsā€

Good luck! and of course ā€¦ you are always free to post on the forum if you have any questions along the way.

Phoenix

Thank you everybody for providing unbiased and useful information!

Long time lurker but Iā€™m finally embarking on a DIY project after sleeping on a BIAB mattress that has given me lower back and hip pain as a side sleeper. After some local testing I realized that the much suggested 3x3 (SMF) configuration is too firm for me. Iā€™m open to an all latex or hybrid mattress as long as I can get enough contouring as well as long term support.

Mattress shopping is incredibly arduous but this forum makes things a little bit better!

Hey SleepySlumberParty,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your kind words on the site and for your question.

Congrats on your new DIY mattress project :cheer: ! Good to hear that you have access to local resources for testing materials, trial and error are definitely part of this process, as well understanding your comfort preferences for different materials in the component layers. You will find many useful resources available here, as well as plenty of TMU trusted member support. Phoenix offers some good advice in these posts,ā€œDIY latex mattress stackingā€, as well as ā€œDifferent directions for buying a mattressā€ you may enjoy. Also of interest are the consumer subscribers who have shared their fascinating ā€œDIY into the Wildā€ journeys, be sure to check out their thoughts as well.

Looking to hearing more as your work beginsā€¦

Cheers,
Sensei

Canā€™t figure out how to create a thread, and noticed a lot of people writing hereā€¦

Does anyone have experience with matermoll mattresses sold in the USA by Global resource registry? Theyā€™re Italian made mattresses commonly used in high end suites on cruise ships

Hey Eddieknj,

Thanks for your question :slight_smile: .

[quote]Canā€™t figure out how to create a thread, and noticed a lot of people writing hereā€¦Does anyone have experience with matermoll mattresses sold in the USA by Global resource registry?
[/quote]

Sorry to hear that you had problems starting a thread, I can do that for you so that your topic will get additional response. To help the TMU Forum better understand what your interests are with Matermoll, could you explain a bit more about what you are researching?

Global Resources Registry is a supplier to the Hospitality industry, offering a variety of imported mattresses, accessories and components to hotels and cruise lines. They also have available online purchase and direct-to-consumer shipping of their products. I did some checking and found GRRā€™s showroom located in Miami; Matermollā€™s website, however is currently under construction, not much going on there from an informational standpoint.

After your response on what your interests are, Iā€™ll rename your post something more suitable :slight_smile: .

Thanks,
Sensei

I tried contacting them to get specifics, they told me the foam is 65kg/m3 so 4lb density and I think they manufacture their own pocket coils but they didnā€™t give me a gauge it just says 7 zone.

Iā€™m just curious if this could be a hidden gem of a mattress. From what Iā€™ve found the few people who have purchased it say itā€™s exactly like on the ship and they love it.

Hi Eddieknj,

Thanks for the update on your research. I did read a bit more and found that both Oceania and Regent Seven seas Cruises sell Matermoll beds from their web sites with customer support questions referred back to GRR/ contact toll free: 1-844-644-2417. Have you reached out to them with your specific component questions or were you reviewing the Oceania Bed Collection site? Iā€™m renaming your topic to ā€œHas anyone tried Matermoll mattress/better cruise ship mattresses?ā€ so that consumer subscribers who may have insights to share can find your specific questions more readily. Hope this helpsā€¦ :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi There,

How soft are the end support of latex mattress and is there a way to give it more support?

Also, looking for mattress advice. Iā€™m 5ā€™6" ~145lb
Iā€™ve used stupid hard mattress all my life and got a 3" foam topper a year ago. Itā€™s been great, helped reduce my upper back/shoulder ache, but it has since came back. My gf says I have a mild scoliosis (i sort of disagree) but thatā€™s besides the point. Iā€™m a mix back and side sleeper but sides can be tough with a firm bed.
Iā€™m not sure if I should look for a hybrid bed or a full 13" latex with either medium or soft configuration based on all Iā€™ve been reading. My current bed foundation is pretty solid.

Given your weight I think most experts will say that 9" would be plenty of latex. Generally 12" is more important for heavier people. Ideally if you could test different configurations in person (difficult to do right now with stores often closed because of the coronavirus) then you could use that information to consider possible online sources as well. Something like 9" latex (soft/medium/firm) might be a place to start.

Thanks! Iā€™ll look that direction. Appreciate the help!

Also, I think you want to have the foundation to be adequate otherwise it will likely reduce both the comfort and lifespan of the mattress.

I think I have a pretty good foundation. Itā€™s practically a thick solid plywood :lol: I guess the only step left is to try it in person.

Hi. How would we get the member discount for mattresstopper.com? Thanks!

mattresstopper.com is a division of Brooklyn Bedding who is not currently a member of TMU.

Iā€™m just starting out and pretty overwhelmed still, but thank you for all the info, itā€™s ultimately really helping :).

Hey amyways,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! Good to have you here.

Thanks so much for your kinds words on the site and happy to hear youā€™re finding it helpful. Shopping for a new mattress is an exciting adventure and can be overwhelming at times, but hopefully youā€™ll find using the guides, articles and posts together will give you the knowledge and confidence to succeed. I like posts like yours as they a perfect for a little ā€œTMU 101ā€ on how to use the site for making a mattress purchase, hereā€™s a quick suggested read recap for others who may be following alongā€¦

ā€œThe Basic Functions of a Mattressā€, a good read for getting to know a mattress as a sleep system.

ā€œMattress Shopping Guidelinesā€, a good resource for understanding quality and value of a mattress;

ā€œYour Sleeping Style, Preferences and Statisticsā€, a guide to understanding your own unique sleeping needs;

ā€œFive Steps to your Perfect Mattressā€, a helpful overview for making site visits and testing mattresses.

And there are many, many more articles available, all located in the navigation menu or by topic in the forum site search. Feel free to ask questions and good luck on your mattress shopping journey :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

FYI you still have ā€œMemorial Dayā€ sale links up for Nest Bedding in your Trusted members area. Memorial Day was a month ago and your default code doesnā€™t currently work on Nestā€™s website which says itā€™s invalid on their Fourth of July pricing.

Itā€™s my understanding from looking through TMUā€™s own policies that Trusted vendors are obligated to offer pricing to TMU members at least 5% below the prices advertised to the public on their own websites. When will you be updating the Nest code/links to provision this?