Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Man, I am so glad I found this site. I am in the market for a new mattress, so I looked up beds on reddit, three different people recommended to come to this site. I am learning so much, and I am certain I will soon find a bed that is perfect for me!

Hi laguano,

Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

In case you havenā€™t seen it ā€¦ the best place to start your research is post #1 here.

Phoenix

My husband and I just ordered a Pranasleep Vinyasa Plush from Jordanā€™s. The split King with adjustable base will cost close to $7,000. After finding this site, I plan to cancel our order and find a comparable mattress that offers better value. We live in Southern NH and can buy in NH or MA. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Hi ClaireB,

The first place I would start your research (in case you havenā€™t read it) is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible decisions.

Iā€™m sure you have also seen most of these as well but a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will also bring up more information about them and my thoughts about the thick polyfoam layer they use on top of their mattress ā€¦ and of course their ā€œvalueā€.

Post #5 here and post #2 here have links to several posts that include most of the better options in your region that Iā€™m aware of.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I have spent considerable time on this site over these last months trying to educate myself on a purchase that will, ultimately, affect my disposition and health for years to come. Your vast knowledge, tireless dedication and adherence to the highest standards of what constitutes a good mattress is so impressive. Like others have written, the service you provide is nearly unimaginable. I am indebted already for everything Iā€™ve learned.

The particulars: I live in the Seattle area, 98072 zip code. I weigh about 130 lbs, sleep on my side and back and prefer a feeling of support in a mattress, although I also like the idea of a thin and soft quilted top. Cool and breathable are also primary considerations. I donā€™t have any serious physical ailments and based on my reading, am hewing toward all latex or a hybrid depending on cost. Maybe Dunlop for the core, Talalay for the middle, uncertain on the top. I strongly endorse all things natural, but understand the price can be prohibitive.

While I like the idea of ā€œgetting it rightā€ with the differential layering, the progressive approach strikes me as being more ā€œcustomizedā€ to the individual, but also invites more trial and error.

Since Iā€™ve only done online research to date, I wanted to ask you about this particular area and local outlets. I did find a post from 2011 that provided several options and wanted to know if you had any additions or adjustments to make to that list.

Something else I need to consider is the foundation. I have a queen-sized frame for a bed and like the idea of the European method of wood slats as a base. I believe you mentioned in one of your posts that a slatted wood base with solid slats that are no more than 3" apart (or preferably less) work best.

In October, 2012, you mentioned a foundation carried by www.usboxspring.com/metal.htm as a great value with free shipping. While I would prefer to purchase the mattresses locally, this foundation available online is ideal for my needs. Do you have an update or any other sources you might provide.

Thank you for your time and uncommon generosity.

Hi eaesesthete,

The Seattle list was last edited in January of this year and is up to date as far as Iā€™m aware.

Mattress theory can be very complex and there is no exact line that defines whether a mattress has what I call a differential construction or a progressive construction and to some degree this is relative to the person themselves (and how deeply they sink into a mattress). They are more conceptual than specific definitions. If you focus too much on theory rather than your actual testing and experience then you can risk becoming too analytical and end up going right past the mattress that may be best for you. They can be a good starting point in some cases but once youā€™ve started testing then your own personal testing needs to replace theory as the best guideline. The guidelines are best used to provide some general insights and understanding of how mattresses are put together and interact with different people rather than as a way to decide ahead of time on the specific type of mattress that would be best for you.

All mattress theory is secondary to whether a mattress actually provides you with the best possible PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and your own experiences in actually sleeping on a mattress will always be the most important test of the suitability of your choice. Personal testing ā€¦ at least as a reference point ā€¦ always has better odds of predicting your long term experience than theory although theory can also be useful when you have specific reference points based on actual testing and you need to do some fine tuning in a design or mattress choice.

The 3" (or less) guideline is mostly for a mattress that uses latex in the support core because latex is much more elastic and flexible than other materials and has a greater chance of sinking into any gaps in the foundation. With firmer or stiffer materials then wider gaps are fine although narrower gaps are never harmful and are more evenly supportive even if they are not actually necessary for a specific mattress. The ā€œbestā€ foundation or box spring depends on the specifics of the mattress you are considering and the choice of foundation always depends on your mattress choice. There is more about matching foundations and box springs in the first two links in the foundation thread here.

The links in the foundation thread are the better ā€œalternativeā€ foundation options Iā€™m aware of and are up to date (to the degree that any source of foundations can ever be up to date). My first choice would generally be the foundation recommended by a manufacturer unless there is a better and higher quality option that has similar or better support available in the links in the foundation thread that also meets the criteria of the manufacturerā€™s warranty. The steel foundation you are referring to uses a combination of flexible and rigid slats and would generally be a good option for for a mattress that was thinner and needed some extra ā€œgiveā€ in some areas underneath the mattress (based on your testing) but this would also introduce a new variable that you hadnā€™t tested in person and in general I would tend to choose a foundation that is similar to the one that was under a mattress when you tested it. The ā€œleast riskyā€ option is a foundation that has the same or very similar properties to the one that was under a mattress when you tested it or to the foundation that is recommended by a manufacturer or retailer if you are buying online.

If you choose a foundation that is an ā€œactiveā€ or flexible part or component of your sleeping system (rather than just providing even rigid support for the mattress or sleeping system) then you would need to take its contribution to the feel and performance of the sleeping system and how it interacts with all the other layers and components into account in terms of PPP just like any other layer or component of a mattress.

Phoenix

Great Website !

I have been shopping for a new mattress for a couple of months now and the info on this site has been invaluable .

I have a question about adjustable base foundations . Can an adjustable base decrease the longevity of a memory foam mattress over time ? It seems some settings like the zero gravity one could cause binding .

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I have used a lot of the information on here, and think I am going with a 10" total latex cal king from Brooklyn Bedding.

I have been researching for about a month.

Look forward to the new beds arrival!

Thank again!

Hi Willy,

In ā€œtheoryā€ more frequent bending could reduce the durability of a foam in the area of the bend to some degree but in practice it would have little significant effect ā€¦ especially on the memory foam which is soft and quite flexible. It could have a bigger effect on firmer stiffer foam layers that arenā€™t as flexible that are found in the base layers of some mattresses but most of these would be fine as well. Itā€™s always a good idea to check with a manufacturer to make sure that a mattress is suitable for use with an adjustable bed and that using it with an adjustable bed meets the terms and conditions of the warranty.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the useful information provided on this forum. After a few trips to the local outlet stores and browsing here, I have settled on the Ultimate Dreams 13" mattress. I look forward to sleeping on it!

Hi dwTMU,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Everyone! :cheer:

Thanks to all the reviews, Iā€™ve decided to buy a mattress online! :slight_smile: I love this site! Itā€™s so informative! I didnā€™t want to go over $799, but I like the option of changing out the top layer of the mattress, so Iā€™m trying to choose between these two Cal King mattresses:

[table]
[tr]
[td]Company[/td]
[td]Mattresss[/td]
[td]Price[/td]
[td]Core Density[/td]
[td]Adjustable Top Latex Layer[/td]
[td]Removable Zippered Cover[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Brooklyn Bedding (aka BB)[/td]
[td]12" Bamboo Bliss[/td]
[td]$1139(after TMU discount)[/td]
[td]2.17lb HD[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Yes, with 1" wool topper[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Dreamfoam[/td]
[td]12" Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex[/td]
[td]$999[/td]
[td]1.5lb HD[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Yes, 1.5" soft foam topper[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I have a few questions:

1. When you unzip the cover, can you see the foam core on the bottom? (Iā€™m just curious to know if I can take it out and replace it with latex layers later onā€¦)
  2. Aside from being fire retardant, is it comfier to have the wool topper vs. not having it?
  3. Would choosing a firmer latex top make the Dreamfoam with 1.5lb core equivalent to the BB 2.5lb core?

Hi 2LightSleepers,

Youā€™re certainly looking at some good choices :slight_smile:

No ā€¦ the support core is surrounded by fabric and only the comfort layer is removable (at least without cutting open the material).

This is a personal preference (ā€œcomfierā€ is a subjective preference that varies from person to person) but the wool can provide better ventilation and temperature and humidity control. there is a little more about wool quilting in post #6 here.

No ā€¦ density and firmness are not related with polyfoam and any density polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels. The firmness of the support layer (not the density) provides the primary support of a mattress which ā€œstopsā€ the heavier pelvis from sinking down too far and has a different function from the softness/firmness or thickness of the comfort layers which ā€œallowā€ the lighter and wider parts of the body (such as the shoulders) to sink in enough for good pressure relief and provides secondary support which fills in the recessed gaps in the sleeping profile (such as the waist or lumbar curve). Even though all the layers and components of a mattress have some effect on all the other layers ā€¦ comfort layers and support layers have different functions.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix! :cheer:

Thanks for the super fast, really informative reply! :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s so much to read here, you could call this the Mattress University. Iā€™m surprised it doesnā€™t pop up as the first site to check out when you google ā€œmattressā€ā€¦ I wish it did, because it wouldā€™ve made my mattress research faster and easier! I found out about this site through the reviews on Amazon, so Yay to the reviewers who mentioned this forum! :cheer:

Now Iā€™m off to read post #6! :slight_smile:

Hi 2LightSleepers,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Bonus!

A big mahalo for all the work that has gone into the site and all the research. Iā€™ve been skulking around for a couple of months now doing research and reading posts to decide on beds. Your efforts are much appreciated and when I purchase the mattress (probably today) I will be sure to give you a heads up on the results.

Shoots!

WSNAS
BWSABC

Hi WeShallNotAllSleep,

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing ā€¦ and of course your feedback when you receive it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for all the work on this site. It has been very informative as I look into getting a new Cal King mattress. Based on the info here, I am leaning towards a latex one so will be checking out the various linked member sites.

Kenny
Hayward, Ca

Hi kennymaSF,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to any comments or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Youā€™ve probably seen this but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Hayward area are included in the list for the San Francisco / Oakland region in post #2 here.

Phoenix

great web site, glad to be a member