Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi MOJO-NW,

None of the site members are in the Seattle area but some of the better options and possibilities I know of in the area are listed in post #2 here. I do live in the Tacoma area in a place called Gig Harbor :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Great site with excellent information! :cheer: H

Decided to register finally. Trying to find a mattress and this site has helped a lot. Thanks.

Hi heskimos and Waldamos,

Iā€™m glad you found us and hopefully the information here can help both of you make a great choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix and members (sorryā€¦ not sure who this actually goes to. New here!),

Hello! Iā€™m a new ember in this forum, but have been reading the amazing information on it for weeks now as my husband and I have been trying to make a decision on which mattress to purchase.

When we started out I had no idea how difficult this was gong to be! We tried out some beds in some of the local mattress retail stores here and after feeling like we were getting ā€œtakenā€, I turned to the internet and thankfully found The Mattress Underground. I have read posts and site information for hours and hours and am still confused about our best route. Weā€™re definitely interested in purchasing a latex mattress (have a 10 yr old tempurpedic that is sagging) and even travelled about 40 mins away to a local boutique dealer who sells high end latex mattresses. Although the products and brands carried were nice, the prices seemed a bit exorbitant ($4,000-$8,000). Iā€™m sure paying a ā€œmiddle manā€ doesnā€™t help.

Weā€™ve visited the sites of so many of the websites mentioned here and are still SO confused! We live in South Florida. Aside from a place in Miami, that when I called the guy sounded very sketchy, we just donā€™t know where to go. If I felt confident enough about what we really wanted, I would order online. But then thatā€™s a huge marketplace and again totally confusing! I know I need to make sure they have a good return policy and think I understand the differences between the various types of latex available from my reading here, however, ANY help or advice you or anyone else has for us would be SO appreciated.

BTWā€¦ So far Iā€™ve spoken to someone at Plushbeds and Flobeds. They were both very helpful. The Plushbed seems to come all put together, whereas the Flobeds, VZone bed, that is the one the man suggested for us, comes in pieces and is assembled by us. I am confused as to if the later ā€œpiecing it togetherā€ option is a bonus, saves money or unnecessary??

Again, any guidance would be amazing. Thank you.

Hi Christa,

All the posts on the forum are posted on the website so anyone that clicks on a thread can read them. I started a new thread for you and changed the title so you have your own topic and which helps me keep track of things a little better.

The first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Once you get to step 3 ā€¦ then some of the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the South Florida area (Miami, Ft Lauderdale) are listed in post #2 here.

The advantage of a component mattress that has individual layers and a zip cover vs a mattress that has glued layers is that you can customize it after your purchase without having to return the entire mattress. With an online purchase that you canā€™t test for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) before you purchase it ā€¦ then the ability to re-arrange or even exchange individual layers can help you fine tune the mattress to your specific needs and preferences for pressure relief and support in case the choice you make isnā€™t quite right for you. This means that you donā€™t have to return the entire mattress and start all over again if you make a choice that turns out to be less than ideal.

There is a list of the members here that sell online in the first post I linked that are among the best value available (including Flobeds) and many of these carry component mattresses with a range of cost and options.

I certainly agree with you that there is no need to look in the $4000 to $8000 range for a mattress that is great quality and will match your needs and preferences perfectly (unless you treat a mattress as a luxury item instead of a necessity and how you feel ā€œaboutā€ the mattress is more important to you than how you feel ā€œonā€ the mattress). In many cases mattresses in this price range are not good value, are no more durable than many lower budget options, and wonā€™t improve how well you sleep compared to similar mattresses that use similar materials that are in much lower budget ranges.

If you follow the steps in the guidelines one at a time you will have the best possible chance of making your ideal choice.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix! I really appreciate your help. More studying for me!

Thank you so much, this website and forum has been a great asset to me so far in my search for a new mattress.

Well after 28 years on a cheap coil spring mattress, my wife and I have decided to get a new Latex mattress. Your web site is a wealth of clear and unbiased information. It has been refreshing to find it. So often when shopping for something new (to me) I have to wade through all of the misleading manufacturer and retailer information with my BS detector flashing everywhere. You have done much of the work for me and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

This pretty sums up the exact reason I am here as well. I came across the site from a simple enough google search: ā€œMattress under $2000ā€ which lead me to a Yahoo postā€¦ which lead me here.

And I am damn glad it did. I was about to go out this weekend to ā€œMattress Giantā€ and pick up a SleepNumber because of the ā€œreviewsā€. But, now with so much more information under my beltā€¦ It looks like Matt from Select Foam is going to be getting a visit instead.

Thanks you so much for this site.

LOVE this site, it has given me an edge in my mattress buying! Keep it up Phoenix!

I had an old latex mattress as a child back in the 60ā€™s, and nothing since has ever been quite as goodā€¦ time to replace a mattress now so Iā€™ve been shopping online for weeks, and finally decided to check out this site. Lots of really helpful info, and a new top choice seems to be emerging at Sleep EZ! Layers make much sense to me, not only for adjustability/comfort, but also for ease of shipping/installing in my small house.
Many thanks for your great work! I will do followup post after some nights on the new mattress.

Hi babyduck,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and you are certainly making a great quality/value choice for all the right reasons. Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile: Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

@ jayx, Terse, Wolfman, and konzelmann,

Iā€™m glad you found us and thanks for your comments as well ā€¦ I appreciate them all :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I decided to register as I am trying to find a mattress. This is a very helpful site. Thanks for all the great information.

man this forum is super informativeā€¦ thanks to yall i was able to find OKC mattress in Oklahoma City.

Hi yngfarm and dr.cherian,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us!

@dr.cherian,

As you know I think highly of Jim at Oklahoma mattress and they are certainly a great quality/value choice.

Phoenix

Great Site! I learned a lot about latex mattresses and will get a great deal from Arizona Premium Mattress Company, plus saving an additional $63 from member discount!

Hi Antiquary,

Iā€™m glad you found us and you certainly made a great choice!

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We would like to publicly thank you Phoenix for the tremendous amount of information you have made available here on the site. For those who, like my wife and I, have stumbled across it while researching the best way to spend our mattress dollars - you a true God-send.

We are curious about the manufacturer Comfort Pedic Mattress from Rancho Cucamonga, CA. If anyone has had experience with them or can discern whether they are some of the ā€˜good guysā€™ by their website, we would appreciate your input. Their site is www.comfortpedicmattress.com

Wishing you all the bestā€¦

Hi KingRutty,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

A mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and the materials inside it and when I talked with Comfortpedic they werenā€™t particularly open about the specifics of the materials inside their mattress. Without knowing this there is really no way to make meaningful quality or value comparisons between mattresses. They are somewhat unusual in this way for a smaller manufacturer who in general are more transparent about the materials they use.

You can see some of my general comments about them in post #2 here and post #7 here (which say much the same thing).

If I went there I would make sure that you are able to find out exactly what is in their mattresses and Iā€™ve included them in various lists in the forum in the hopes that they will be a little more transparent about their mattresses for their customers that actually go there than they were with me on the phone so that you can make a more informed buying decision.

You may have already read this as well but just in case ā€¦ post #1 here has the basic information, and step by step guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

Phoenix