Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi Poohlvhun,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

Hello all!

My name is Nick. I stumbled across this fourm while researching mattresses. I never knew there are so many parameters for selecting a mattress! I read the complete article on mattresses; it is extremely detailed and well put together. I applaud whomever wrote this article. Based on the articleā€™s information, I am ready to buy my new mattress!

I decided I want a latex mattress because of the longevity and comfort it provides. Because I sleep on my side for almost the whole night I have decided I want a soft level of firmness. Once I decided that I found the link to the reputable manufacturers, which helped tremendously (after reading about typical mattress stores just trying to make a buck). I am about to purchase the Abscond from spindle mattress!

I thank you so much for your informative article. Iā€™ll never look at mattresses the same!

Glad I found this site. Iā€™m going today to try on latex mattresses from AZ Premium Mattress.

Hi cyke777,

Iā€™m glad you found us as well ā€¦ and welcome to the forum :).

As you probably know from reading here I think highly of AZ Premium Mattress and they are also a member here which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and would certainly be a great quality/value choice.

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

I wish I had come across this site a few years years ago when I was researching a latex mattress for myself and my husband (although we ended up getting it from Sleep EZ and have been very happy with it). I just started researching twin mattresses for my four year old and Iā€™m excited to find all this information in one place!

Hi westernmom,

Iā€™m glad you found us although it seems to me that you made a great choice with your own mattress :slight_smile:

Just in case you havenā€™t seen it ā€¦ post #2 here includes links to the better forum topics and posts in the forum about children and mattresses that have more information and include links to some very good options for childrenā€™s mattresses as well (including SleepEz).

Phoenix

the wealth of info here is staggering!

will probably be leaning towards an az premium mattress co like cyke777.
doesnt seem like there are any nyc local providers, but that isnt going to deter me too much from an online purchase.

thanks for your efforts in maintaining this site, phoenix.

Hi a2b1c3z1,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the NYC area are listed in post #2 here.

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you ā€¦ and thanks for the kind words as well :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you decide once you are ready to pull the trigger.

Phoenix

those nyc area links are super helpful - thanks.

You have a fantastic site here. Up until 2 weeks ago I didnā€™t know that they even made latex mattresses and after reading and researching, yesterday I just ordered one from Sleep Ez and got the discount. Thanks for everything.

Hi leanjon,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :).

You probably know more after 2 weeks than most of the mattress salespeople in the mainstream industry and it seems you used your new found knowledge to make a great choice.

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=35411]Hi westernmom,

Iā€™m glad you found us although it seems to me that you made a great choice with your own mattress :slight_smile:

Just in case you havenā€™t seen it ā€¦ post #2 here includes links to the better forum topics and posts in the forum about children and mattresses that have more information and include links to some very good options for childrenā€™s mattresses as well (including SleepEz).

Phoenix[/quote]

Thanks! I just ordered him the special from Sleep EZ with the 2 3" dunlop layers and the zippered stretch cotton cover. I did a firm bottom layer and waffled on med or soft for the top, but went with the med in the end. Now I need to go back and read all about mattress protectors so he doesnā€™t ruin his expensive new mattress :wink:

Hi westernmom,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great choice and if you do end up deciding that you want a softer layer on top then you still have the option to exchange a layer.

Youā€™ve probably seen this but there is more information about the different types of mattress protectors and some of the tradeoffs in post #89 here (and I just added some information about wool puddle pads or moisture pads). One of the waterproof membrane types would work well and are more waterproof and less costly than the wool/cotton protectors or puddle pads that use wool for water resistance (although a puddle pad can also work well for accidents) but the wool would be more more temperature regulating and uses more natural materials which for some people is worth the extra cost.

Phoenix

After learning so much about the mattress industry from this site, weā€™ve decided to try out Tuft & Needle because of the low price point and your recommendation. The final thing that led us to give them a try is the 30 trial where they have you donate the mattress if you arenā€™t happy and will give you a full refund. That policy is incredible and we figure we have nothing to lose.

I didnā€™t see a place on their website to get the discount, so I will give T&N a call on Monday to order. That gives me time to ask one final question from the expert.

I am a rather large guy 6ā€™6" and just under 300lbs (I sleep on my back or side depending on my mood) and my wife is much smaller (only 5ā€™1ā€™) and pretty much sleeps on her stomach. Iā€™ve been having back problems related to our bed being too soft (it is a Beautyrest w/ a built-in pillow top that I got 8 years ago and has not held up well, as it sags in the middle).

Originally we thought weā€™d go with latex since I need something firmer for my back and she does too for her stomach sleeping but I just donā€™t think we can afford some of these $1300-2500 options that Iā€™ve looked at. I guess what Iā€™m wondering is, are we selling ourselves short by going with such a cheap option like the T&N 10inch for only $600?

Thanks so much!

Hi gpawned,

If you email or call them and let them know you are a member here they will apply the discount and the extended trial period that goes with your membership in the forum.

I donā€™t really know how to answer this because the choice of materials or components is really a matter of preference. If your preference is a polyfoam mattress or your budget range doesnā€™t allow for more premium materials or components then it would certainly be a good quality/value choice in this budget range. The polyfoam they use is about 2 lb density which is in the density range that I would suggest for higher weights (see the guidelines in post #4 here and post #2 here also has more information relative to higher weights). Polyfoam is a less costly material than an innerspring or latex support layer and itā€™s also less durable than latex in a comfort layer and of course latex is also a higher performance material so if you prefer the feel and performance of some of the more costly materials or components and they are inside your budget range (even in a comfort layer) then they would also be well worth considering. The only way to really know which materials you prefer would be based on your own personal testing or experience on different types of mattresses.

Of course their return policy also means that itā€™s a very low risk choice so you would have the chance to sleep on the mattress and see how you feel about it but only your own testing and/or experience can tell you whether a higher cost/quality mattress or materials would be a better match for you in terms of PPP or your personal value equation if itā€™s inside your budget range.

Phoenix

Phoenix:

What is the extended trial period offered by Tuft and Needle? I know everyone gets 30-days, but was curious if this extended period was a higher number of days?

Hi darkarchon,

When I talked with them they didnā€™t want to say a specific number of days so that their customers didnā€™t feel like they were under an arbitrary deadline so the extension would be ā€œas long as necessaryā€ to evaluate the mattress ā€¦ within reason.

So if you had the mattress for 30 days and still werenā€™t sure about whether it was ā€œrightā€ for you or wanted some additional time to try a topper with it and needed an extra 30 or even 60 days to assess it, then it would be ā€œwithin reasonā€. On the other hand if you asked for an additional year then I donā€™t think it would be ā€œreasonableā€.

In other words ā€¦ they will give you any legitimate amount of additional time that your experience or circumstances indicate is necessary to help you evaluate the mattress and decide whether to keep it.

NOTE: there was some confusion about the extended trial period so based on a conversation with them today they decided to make the trial extension more specific and add an additional 30 days (for a total of 60) to save any misunderstanding or confusion ā€¦ see post #551 here.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for creating this site. After doing a lot of reading, some testing, and ordering some samples, my husband and I decided to order a bed from SleepEZ. I never would have thought I would buy something so personal as a bed via the internet, but your site has given me much confidence that weā€™re making a great choice.

Hi OatmealPie,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think highly of SleepEz and I also think you made a great choice.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback after youā€™ve received it and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Mattress Underground,

Thanks for the great site and the great information. This has helped my search for a new Mattress and Foundation.

This will be a great site for me to refer others if they seek any form of help with Mattress selection.

MLD