Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thanks for such a welcoming, informative site! Iā€™ve been reading and researching for the past couple of weeks, and finally took the plunge and joined. My current #1 choice for a new mattress is the BB Bamboo Bliss 12". Thanks for providing so much useful information, it is totally eye opening to someone with no knowledge of the industry.

Anyway, when I pull the trigger, Iā€™ll post my thoughts on the process and the mattress we end up with. All the best, Phoenix, thanks again!

Hi Trailrunner,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and thanks for the kind comments :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any questions or feedback you may have along the way (and of course after your purchase as well).

Phoenix

Just wanted to say hi and thank you for such an informative and helpful site!

Hi esrever,

Hi back ā€¦ and welcome :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this web site. I feel like I am taking a college course on Bed design.

Choices have been narrowed down to Spindle or Sleep EZā€™s 3" + 3" + 3" latex designs.

Iā€™ve tested ~30 different beds and tried multiple combinations of firmness layers and couldnā€™t clearly discern what combination was most comfortable/supportive for my needs. Iā€™m a side sleeper and prefer sleeping on my right shoulder even though it has been separated a couple of times.

I will be buying a king bed and foundation. Sleep EZ has an option to have 3 different firmness layers on each side of the mattress. This would give my trmendous flexibility long term to change/shift the layers to achieve optimal comfort and support. I am a little concerned about having the seam between the two sides of the mattress and possible shifting or movement of the layers laterally. Is this a valid concern or not?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Hi Cruising44,

When you are uncertain about the combination of layers that would be best or you then I would make your initial choice of layers based on a more detailed conversation with each manufacturer/retailer you are considering purchasing from (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). They will have more knowledge and experience about their mattresses and the options they have available than anyone else and will be your most reliable source of guidance. The more information you can provide them about your local testing, your body type, your sleeping positions, and your preferences, the more you will help them to help you make the initial choice of layering that has the highest chance of success. In the majority of cases their customers will end up choosing the most suitable combination the first time but rearranging or exchanging layers is always an option so if your initial choices turns out to be less suitable than you hoped for you still have good options available.

There is more about split layers in post #2 here but the short answer is that with a mattress with a suitable tight fitting quilted cover you wonā€™t feel the split itself and the layers wonā€™t shift in normal use. Even if they do shift with ā€œabnormalā€ use (such as transporting the mattress or over longer periods of time) itā€™s an easy matter to zip open the cover and ā€œwaveā€ them back into position again.

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value choices and I think highly of both of them. Neither one has any weak links in their design or materials in terms of quality or durability so you would be choosing between ā€œgood and goodā€ which is the ideal position to be in when you are making final choices (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thanks for all the usefully information we have received from this forum. Because of this information we are now considering purchasing a latex mattress

Hi rotor221,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :).

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve always had the cheapest twin size mattress through college, and Iā€™m excited to finally buy myself an ā€œadultā€ mattress! B) :woohoo:

Hi trekcat1701,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and welcome :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix!

Been busy but since itā€™s been almost a month wanted to be sure to shareā€¦LOVE our new bed.

When you start waking up thinking damn getting older sucksā€¦itā€™s time for a new mattress. So much nicer to get a good nights sleep and not wake up with a sore back.

Fox delivered as scheduled, easy polite good to go! First couple nights sleep definite adjustment but for the better. Itā€™s great. No complaints only positives. You really can tell the difference in quality in the support, ticking, etc.

The only ā€˜negativeā€™ was I didnā€™t think it was that much thicker than our old set so itā€™s rather tall now. A good reminder to always measure. But since we are 6ā€™ and 6ā€™6" we actually like it! But for those not as tall it could be a challenge.

Hi Nikki,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback about your mattress and Fox Mattress ā€¦ I appreciate it.

Since itā€™s a month after your purchase you would be past the initial adjustment and break in period it would be reasonable to expect that you will be loving it for many years to come ā€¦ and thatā€™s also a ā€œgood thingā€ :slight_smile:

I think you did well.

Phoenix

Thanks for all of the information. Hopefully today I can find myself a quality mattress. Gonna check out Midwest Mattress in Des Moines.

Hi jmanbball,

Iā€™m glad you found us and welcome.

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback after your visit and just in case you havenā€™t seen it yet post #6 here includes the better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the Des Moines area (including Midwest Mattress of course).

Phoenix

Thank you for the wealth of knowledgeā€¦My fiance and I had purchased a mattress from one of the nationwide chains a while back and something just didnā€™t feel right. So I turned to the web and found TMU and instantly decided we were canceling our order. Drove back to the store the following morning and canceled it. We have decided to go with Quality Sleep Shop in La Grange, IL (we live in downtown Chicago.) Time to do some more digging into the benefits and what to look for there.

Thank you again!

Marcus

Hi sepansk4,

Iā€™m glad you found us before it was ā€œtoo lateā€ :slight_smile:

You are certainly heading in a great direction with Quality Sleep Shop and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments after your visit.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the quality info Phoenix. Really helped me and my fiance avoid spending a bunch of money on a mattress that would have been a waste(both in time and money). I think we are going to go with Brooklyn Bedding and work with them on getting our mattress. If I run into any questions or problems, Iā€™ll for sure know where to turn! :slight_smile:

Hi esquared19,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any questions you may have along the way. As you know I think highly of Brooklyn Bedding and they make some great quality/value mattresses.

Phoenix

Phoenix, Iā€™ve been looking for this site for a very long time. I knew there had to be some resources on the internet to better understand the complexities of the mattress world, but I could never find anything reliable. Iā€™ve read through some of your posts, and they are extremely informative, well-written, and clear. Thank you so much for all of your contributions, and I look forward to learning more! And of course, purchasing my first mattress! :slight_smile:

Hi nullspace,

Welcome :slight_smile:

It will be interesting to see what you end up buying for your first mattress purchase and of course youā€™re always welcome to ask any questions you may have along the way.

Good luck!

Phoenix