Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thank you Phoenix and many others for all the advise. As soon as I move to my new home, I think I will be going with the 12 inch Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn Bedding. I had never heard of a lot of these manufactures until reading about them here. Great information!

Cotuitbloke

Hi cotuitbloke,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well and that the site could help you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once the time comes to pull the trigger.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

I will be moving to Las Vegas from MA in December and will be ordering then. After that long a drive I will need a
good mattress.

Cotuitbloke

Hi cotuitbloke,

You may have some trouble sleeping in Las Vegas no matter what mattress you own ā€¦ I was under the impression that nobody ever goes to bed in Vegas :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the invaluable information. My head has been spinning for months, trying to decide on a mattress. The one I have now I bought 10 years ago, and although it is still in good shape, it has always been way too firm for me (which was tough to deal with after reluctantly getting away from a waterbed). I live in the south suburbs of Chicago and will be heading to Lagrange to check out the mattress place you recommended. Wish me luck!

Hi Lmhteach,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

If your mattress is still in good condition and has no sagging or soft spots (visible or virtual) on the sleeping surface (which may not be the case after 10 years) and all you need is some additional comfort and pressure relief then a topper may be a good solution. If this is something that you think would be worthwhile considering then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information about choosing a topper that may be helpful.

I think that like the members here that have paid them a visit, you will be pleasantly surprised at the type of help and guidance you will receive at Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress and the quality and value of their mattresses.

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Actually, I used a featherbed mattress topper and an egg crate topper for a few years, but still felt pressure points. I then bought a 3 inch memory foam topper that finally made it feel softer, but the the bed was getting way too high. My 18 year old cat couldnā€™t jump up onto it. So I got rid of the boxspring and had slats made. The sheets donā€™t stay on correctly, and the memory foam seems like it is sinking in where I sleep. Such dilemmas! :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œPhoenixā€ post=44820]Hi cotuitbloke,

You may have some trouble sleeping in Las Vegas no matter what mattress you own ā€¦ I was under the impression that nobody ever goes to bed in Vegas :slight_smile:

Phoenix[/quote]

As a native vegas resident i agree. Sleep is hard here.

Hi Phoenix,

Well if I donā€™t go to bed in Vegas the bed will last a lot longer.

I wonder if you or any of the other experts know if the wool top layer in the Bamboo Bliss makes it a warmer or cooler
mattress. Just thinking, going to a hot climate that would be important.

cotuitbloke

Hi cotuitbloke,

Wool is a great temperature regulator which can help maintain a more consistent sleeping temperature in both directions so it can help keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. There is more about wool quilting in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Thanks again.

cotuitbloke

Iā€™m very happy to have this site as a resource as researching mattresses, especially natural eco friendly mattresses.

Hi aebbingh,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you :).

You may have seen this already but just in case you havenā€™t ā€¦ post #2 here has more information about natural, organic, green, ā€œchemical freeā€, ā€œeco friendlyā€, and safe materials that can help you ā€œsort outā€ some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter and may help you to decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress.

Phoenix

I see dreamfoam has their own website now, do they offer a free pillow still?

Hi suprak,

For purchases at their regular price yes they still have a pillow bonus but they currently have a 10% discount available for mattress purchases from their own site (see their facebook page here) so there would be no additional bonus (they canā€™t be ā€œstackedā€).

Purchases from their own site would also have their 45 day comfort guarantee (see the bottom right corner of their site) which isnā€™t available on Amazon purchases.

Phoenix

Sweet, thanks for all the info! Youā€™re the best, been a lurker for a while and your posts are awesome.

Hi Phoenix,
I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for this wonderful site and all of the work you put into sharing your knowledge with the rest of us! I wish I had spent more time here before we purchased the Novaform Serafina earlier this yearā€¦ itā€™s going back to Costco :oops:

Next on my list is a Tuft & Needle 10 because it seems like we prefer a really firm bed and theyā€™ve got a great return policy (especially for TMU members) so it sounds like a good fit for our PPP.

This is a fantastic site. I was unaware off the smaller mattress companies until reading your information. Hopefully I will be purchasing a new bed soon!

Hi sarahk2882,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you!

While I already mentioned it in the Tuft & Needle topic ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress once again :slight_smile:

@Guinn149,

Iā€™m glad you found us as well and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Iā€™m just returning to let you know about my experience with Quality Sleep shop in Countryside. I took a trip out there after reading through this forum, and was very pleased with the service. Tim was very knowledgable and extrememly helpful. At first, he admitted that his mattresses might not be for me because I like super soft. He showed me his softest bed, which I have to admit was not nearly soft enough for me. But then he placed a topper on it, and it felt great. While I was checking the mattress out, another customer was at the counter purchasing a bed because her son was unhappy with a bed purchased somewhere else several months agoā€¦it was too soft. She said that if he knew of anyone who would like an almost new bed, she had one for sale. Because I have an aging father and foresee spending lots of time at his house in the future, I said I would be interested in it. Tim, the owner, set it up so that he would have it picked up and delivered along with the bed that I bought from him! Who, in this day and age, does that?? No charge? That sold me! I bought the mattress he suggested, having the topper sewn into the bed.
Everything was delivered within a few days.
Unfortunately, I couldnā€™t fall asleep on the bed because it was too hard. I wanted to cry. In the middle of the night, I threw my memory/gel foam topper on it and was then able to sleep. I was going to call Tim, but then realized I needed to give it some time to break in. Iā€™m really hoping I can sleep on the bed without the topper at some point, because I really donā€™t care for the feel of memory foam, other than how soft it is.
Do you think the bed will ā€œbreak inā€ even if I have a topper on it?