Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Sweet, thanks for all the info! Youā€™re the best, been a lurker for a while and your posts are awesome.

Hi Phoenix,
I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for this wonderful site and all of the work you put into sharing your knowledge with the rest of us! I wish I had spent more time here before we purchased the Novaform Serafina earlier this yearā€¦ itā€™s going back to Costco :oops:

Next on my list is a Tuft & Needle 10 because it seems like we prefer a really firm bed and theyā€™ve got a great return policy (especially for TMU members) so it sounds like a good fit for our PPP.

This is a fantastic site. I was unaware off the smaller mattress companies until reading your information. Hopefully I will be purchasing a new bed soon!

Hi sarahk2882,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you!

While I already mentioned it in the Tuft & Needle topic ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress once again :slight_smile:

@Guinn149,

Iā€™m glad you found us as well and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
Iā€™m just returning to let you know about my experience with Quality Sleep shop in Countryside. I took a trip out there after reading through this forum, and was very pleased with the service. Tim was very knowledgable and extrememly helpful. At first, he admitted that his mattresses might not be for me because I like super soft. He showed me his softest bed, which I have to admit was not nearly soft enough for me. But then he placed a topper on it, and it felt great. While I was checking the mattress out, another customer was at the counter purchasing a bed because her son was unhappy with a bed purchased somewhere else several months agoā€¦it was too soft. She said that if he knew of anyone who would like an almost new bed, she had one for sale. Because I have an aging father and foresee spending lots of time at his house in the future, I said I would be interested in it. Tim, the owner, set it up so that he would have it picked up and delivered along with the bed that I bought from him! Who, in this day and age, does that?? No charge? That sold me! I bought the mattress he suggested, having the topper sewn into the bed.
Everything was delivered within a few days.
Unfortunately, I couldnā€™t fall asleep on the bed because it was too hard. I wanted to cry. In the middle of the night, I threw my memory/gel foam topper on it and was then able to sleep. I was going to call Tim, but then realized I needed to give it some time to break in. Iā€™m really hoping I can sleep on the bed without the topper at some point, because I really donā€™t care for the feel of memory foam, other than how soft it is.
Do you think the bed will ā€œbreak inā€ even if I have a topper on it?

Hi Lmhteach,

Thanks for the update and feedback about Quality Sleep ā€¦ I appreciate it. They certainly do provide the type of ā€œabove and beyondā€ service that is very uncommon in the industry as a whole.

Iā€™m not sure which type of mattress you purchased but all mattresses will break in to some degree when they are new as any foam materials inside lose any of their false firmness, fibers compress, and the cover becomes less stiff. You will also go through an adjustment period with any new sleeping surface as well that can depend on how different your new mattress is from the old one. A topper will slow down the break in process to some degree because it will absorb the compression forces that come from sleeping on a mattress that are what breaks in the mattress but it will still happen a little more slowly. There could also be other factors that can play a role with a mattress that is too firm as well and there are some suggestions in post #2 here and in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

The first step with any new mattress that is too firm is to give it some time but itā€™s also much easier to fine tune a mattress that is too firm by adding a topper than it is to firm up a mattress that is too soft which is much more difficult and would generally require removing and replacing layers that were too thick or soft rather than adding something on top of them.

If after a few weeks your mattress is still too firm for you and if some of the other suggestions donā€™t seem to be effective then I would talk with Tim about the options that are available to you and of course you will always have the option of adding a topper that in combination with your mattress can add any additional softness and pressure relief that you need.

Phoenix

Iā€™m amazed at the quantity and quality of information on this site, and the diligence of the site administrator, Phoenix. You are doing something really beneficial for those of us who like to thoroughly research large purchases!

My husband and I inherited a Reverie adjustable bed frame and have been looking for a quality mattress to put on it. The Tuft & Needle 10 is an attractive option because of the easy purchase/return, firmness, and promise of a ā€œcoolā€ nightā€™s sleep. The only thing Iā€™m hesitant about is how low the bed might be (we have a fairly traditional bedroom). If that becomes a problem, I see that there are bed height adjusters that can be used.

Hi SquirrelRock,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

A Reverie Deluxe would normally be about 14" high (with the 6 1/2" legs) and with a 10" mattress like the Tuft & Needle the top of your sleeping surface would be about 24" from the floor which is a fairly standard height that most people would be fine with.

If you do need some additional height though youā€™re right that Reverie does have optional legs that are taller (see here).

Phoenix

Thank you for the super helpful link to the Reverie legs! Two feet tall does sound reasonable (especially as we are short) but the aesthetics will be hard to know until we see it (we have a sleigh bed-style headboard, not very modern).

The Reverie base is a mixed blessing due to being so heavy. Hopefully it will be worth it for my husband, who prefers to be elevated at night and has become a pillow hoarder as a result :wink:

Thanks! How do you all like Tuft & Needle?

Hi donnab,

I switched your post to a topic that is more related to Tuft & Needle.

A forum title search on Tuft Needle (you can just click the link) will bring up many comments and feedback about them and a more general forum search on Tuft Needle will bring up even more.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this great resource. When I started I had no idea how much information that I did not know. I will be going with a latex bed from Ez sleep. Thank you again.

Hi greatful,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us!

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive your mattress and have had a chance to sleep on it.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just found your site and joined. Thanks for this great resource!

Hi eric_,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I just wanted to say thank for the great resource provided by this website, the members of this board, and of course its administrator. I have been a reader of this board for a long time and appreciate the focus on specifications for mattresses, PPP, and many other items. When I first looked at getting a new mattresses I felt that the mattress sales people in the big stores were pushy and just there for the sale. These people for the most part avoided answering questions when I tried to make comparisons to other mattresses. As an engineer I know that somewhere there would be at minimum a few important specifications that would affect the quality and comfort and allow for generalized comparisons. I was glad to find out, before I almost purchased, that many ā€œhigh endā€ memory foams mattresses would use such low end materials that could have their comfort degrade appreciably over time.

I also wanted to you tell I had a great in person experience talking to Jeff at Mattress To Go and trying out his latex mattresses. He probably was the most hands off salesman I visited. After a brief discussion about what my partner and I wanted in a mattress and answering a few questions we had we were left alone to fall ā€œasleep.ā€ During none of this time did we have the feeling as if were being watched or being interrupted every five minutes about what we thought about the mattress. He also didnā€™t feel insulted or guarded like others when I asked for the ILDs to make comparisons.

Unfortunately, he does not sell layered mattresses so I wonā€™t purchase my mattress from him. For my personal requirements of wanting a california king to fit my 6ā€™4" frame and living in small apartment buildings I like the flexibility of knowing I wonā€™t be limited in the future because the bed cannot fit up the stairwell. I also appreciate that if I would like to change the firmness of a layer that is a possibility.

Hi hendjosh,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about Jeff and Mattress To Go ā€¦ I appreciate it :).

As you know ā€¦ I (and many other forum members that have dealt with him) also share your thoughts about his knowledge, experience, and the service he provides to his customers.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the great information. After several days of pondering, Iā€™m about to place my order for a latex mattress from Spindle. I like the product and the attitudeā€¦ Iā€™m tired of all the boring sales hokum, and Spindleā€™s no-nonsense style suits me. Itā€™s the most economical latex mattress Iā€™ve found. I like the fact that itā€™s a contiguous slab, no seam, and that each layer comes in its own box and you put it together yourself.

It really seems like the best way to do things. All the other companies want to market mattresses either like used-car salemen or like lifestyle products. For me itā€™s a utilitarian product. Give me something thatā€™s unquestionably non-toxic, because Iā€™m spending a third of my life with my face pressed up against it. Make it impervious to mold and mildew, because I live in the Northwest. Make it as durable as possible, because dealing with mattresses isnā€™t fun, and itā€™s better to spend double for a product thatā€™ll last quadruple. Make it simple, because I donā€™t need a bunch of options to figure out. Spindle seems to be the solution. Iā€™ll report back on my experience.

Phoenix, Iā€™ve got the thread about foundations, and itā€™s great. Hereā€™s my questionā€¦ the mattress is pushing our budget already. Our old bed has a simple slat wood base with about 2" between slats, a cheap box spring and a horrible old cheap mattress. Do you reckon we can put the new latex mattress on top of the old box spring and base, for a few months, until we figure out a better foundation?

Hi CKirk,

As you probably know I think highly of Neal and Spindle and I think you made a great quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep in it for a bit.

If your box spring has a flat and evenly supportive surface that doesnā€™t allow the mattress to sink in to any gaps then it should be fine although a box spring that flexes can change how your mattress feels compared to a solid non flexing foundation. If your bed has slats with only 2" in between them then I would consider using the mattress directly on the slats.

Phoenix

Long time reader, first time poster. Thank you for the vast amount of research and insight. Itā€™s time for a new mattress, and I will be doing my homework here, and hopefully coming up with a great deal on a great mattress.