Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi,

Great website! Iā€™ve been reading for hours and have decided to buy an Ultimate Dreams king latex mattress. My only problem is which one! Iā€™m leaning towards the Freedom but also considering the 10" latex and 12" Euro Top. Anyone know what UD firmness number would match a Sealy Posturepedic Optimum Newness?

Iā€™m replacing a Sleep Number bed and was thinking about drilling a few, well quite a few, 1" holes in the solid base for ventilation instead of buying a new base. Has anyone tried that?

Hi filterflyguy,

Both of these mattresses have quite different designs and use different types of latex with different layer thicknesses and different covers and possibly a different firmness level for the base foam as well so there wouldnā€™t really be a firmness level that ā€œmatchedā€ one to the other because even if the top layer of latex was a similar firmness level in both of them comparing them would be more of a subjective comparison and different people would probably have different opinions about how closely they matched depending on their body type and how deeply they sink into each mattress.

Having said that ā€¦ the US mattress site rates the Newness as a ā€œ7ā€ on a scale of 1 - 10 and while these types of firmness scales can vary widely and are notoriously inaccurate when they are used to compare mattresses ā€¦ something in a similar firmness range on the softer end of the scale would probably be somewhere in the ballpark.

If someone at Dreamfoam is familiar with the Optimum Newness their guess may be more accurate but either way I would make sure that you talk with them about your firmness choice so that they can provide some some guidance about what others with your body type or sleeping positions would often do best with based on ā€œaveragesā€.

I would also keep in mind that the Eurotop has the option to exchange the comfort layer for a different firmness level so you would still have the option to customize the mattress after a purchase if your initial choice was either too firm or too soft for you.

Just in case you werenā€™t aware of it as well ā€¦ if you purchase either one from the Dreamfoam website there is an additional 10% discount (see their facebook page here) and you would also have the benefit of their 45 day comfort guarantee on your purchase.

Both of them are high quality/value choices but the Eurotop would be a little less risky because of the additional options that are available to you.

I donā€™t know how drilling holes would affect the strength or integrity of the foundation but if you have a solid surface foundation and you wish to add some ventilation under your mattress (see post #10 here) to reduce the risk of mold and mildew and moisture retention in your mattress then it may be worthwhile adding a bed rug on top of the foundation instead of drilling holes in it.

Phoenix

This site is awesome. Thank you for all the info! Looking forward to getting something from Dreamfoam in the new year.

Hi gold2095,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing when the time comes to pull the trigger on your new mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply; what do you think about the UD Freedom? Is the synthetic dunlop latex as good as natural dunlop latex?

Hi filterflyguy,

I switched your post to a new topic so that itā€™s easier to find and doesnā€™t get ā€œburiedā€ in a more general topic.

Synthetic Continuous pour latex is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam so there would certainly be no weak links in this mattress in terms of durability. The Ultimate Dream Freedom also has 12 different possible configurations that lets you fine tune the comfort and support of the mattress after a purchase so it has a great deal of flexibility in terms of how it can be configured to ā€œmatchā€ the needs and preferences of each person without needing to exchange a layer.

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. Synthetic continuous pour Dunlop will be very similar in terms of ā€œfeelā€ to Dunlop with a higher natural rubber content but it will tend to be less elastic and resilient than 100% natural Dunlop and will be less ā€œsupportiveā€ than 100% natural Dunlop in the same firmness level as well because it has a lower compression modulus (the rate that a material becomes firmer with deeper compression). It is also made in softer versions than most molded 100% natural Dunlop and in the softest versions would be comparable to the softest Talalay.

In terms of durability ā€¦ based on Mountaintopā€™s testing and the experience of different manufacturers so far it is very promising and appears to be fairly comparable to 100% natural Dunlop but it hasnā€™t been available for long enough to know for certain based on actual long term experience.

Phoenix

Despite my head spinning a bit, Iā€™m glad I found the site and Iā€™ve learned a lot about latex mattresses today. Thanks, Phoenix.

Hi TwistedRoad,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us!

I think that ā€œspinning headsā€ are fairly normal symptom when you are first starting to research mattresses but the spinning stops once all the pieces start to fall into place :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Great forum. The more I read the more confused I am. In a good way I guess.Originally my budget for a queen mattress was $300 now it has been stretched to $800.

Hi Zodiac,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ if for no other reason than to help you realize that there arenā€™t any great options available in your original budget range.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course to any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Just in case you havenā€™t read it already ā€¦ the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Post #3 here also includes some links to some of the better lower budget options Iā€™m aware of that may be helpful and if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d also be happy to let you know about any of the better local options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for all of your help! We decided to go with the UD Eurotop instead of the Freedom. I agree with you that either mattress would be a great choice but in the end we thought that the Talalay latex would be best for us. Iā€™ll post again after weā€™ve slept on it for a while.

Thanks again,
Filterflyguy

Great site! I am glad to have found it and have been busy reading all the posts. Thank you!

Hi filterflyguy,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Hi ikona,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So glad I found this site!! Looking to buy the 1st real mattress for our 3 yr old. 3 yrs ago we spent a few thousand on what was supposed to be a great Serta memory foam mattress and we curse that decision every day as there are holes where our bodies lie that are far too deep and far too soft for comfort. When I think about the $$ wasted ā€¦ grrrr.

Hi sws09,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well!

Unfortunately your experience is far too common in the industry ā€¦ especially with major brands or with any mattress which uses lower quality materials in the upper layers of the mattress. I can certainly understand how frustrating it is.

Post #2 here includes links to many of the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that should be helpful :).

Phoenix

I didnā€™t know this ,that could get a discount and will be mindful of the contacts!Thank you for this post ,new here so trying to navigate.
happy New Year
appreciate this post
kayla

Iā€™m having trouble figuring out how to get the discount via Tuft and Needle. Is there some trick Iā€™m missing?

Hi DennisP,

You just need to let them know you are a member here either on a phone call or an email.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Been reading a bunch of forum posts this week. Ive settled on a Tuft and Needle. The extended trial will definitely help!