Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hello all! Just found your site today and feeling lucky! Been feeling punch drunk from searching high and low for a mattress and swamped by all the BS that comes with it! Thanx for all your info here! Mike K. :slight_smile:

What a fantastic site you have here Phoenix. Glad I stumbled upon this place while researching for my daughterā€™s latex mattress. If only my brother knew of this site before purchasing his latex mattressā€¦ could have saved quite a bit. Thanks for this wealth of information!

Hi snikky1 and srri,

Welcome to both of you ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you each end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am looking into buying a mattress from Spindle. Seems like a great price esp. with the discount and I am buying local! So happy to get away from the corporate chemical-infused companies without going broke.

We recently inherited an amazing antique bedroom set and, of course, we now need to purchase mattresses and foundations. The set, however, includes two twin-sized beds instead of the Queen that weā€™re used to. On top of that, we just moved from New York to Florida and the thought of trying out mattresses is more than we can handle at this time. After lurking on the MU site for a while (the information takes a while to explore), I believe that our best bet is a couple of KD Foundations and mattresses from Tuft and Needle. My concern is that, based on what Iā€™ve read, that the mattresses (new design) might be quite firm. Iā€™m a back/side sleeper (I canā€™t seem to keep track of where I start off and end), but my last (lesser quality memory foam) mattress remains somewhat hard and not particularly comfortable. Also, it doesnā€™t have a great deal of edge support and when sitting on the edge, I tend to slide off. Hopefully, the Tuft & Needle mattresses will work. Iā€™m hoping that I wonā€™t have to take T & N up on their generous return policy. Thank you for helping me to make a more informed choice based on value.

Hi lms1,

If you have an antique bedroom set I would measure your bedframes to make sure they are a ā€œstandardā€ size because some of the antique bedframes are non standard sizes.

If they are a standard size then of course a standard size mattress and foundation would be fine but if theyā€™re not then many manufacturers or retailers would be able to supply a non standard size as well but I would confirm this before you make a purchase.

There is also more about the pros and cons and some feedback about split mattresses in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

As you probably know from your reading here ā€¦ one of the advantages of a ā€œone choice fits allā€ mattress where there is only one firmness option is that it is very simple way to choose a mattress without spending time testing different mattresses but you will generally find that it will be the ā€œbestā€ match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a ā€œgoodā€ match for a larger percentage, and an ā€œOKā€ match for a larger percentage yet. The only way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual sleeping experience but for those where itā€™s not a ā€œgood enoughā€ match then Tuft & Needle has a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

Assuming you decide to pull the trigger (or have already) ā€¦ congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info and discounts! Yay new bed!

Hi oscarmonkey,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information on purchasing a new mattress. Its been a great read! :slight_smile:

Hi icethegreat,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I got my dreaming mattress from spindlemattress.com and I do get %5 discount.

Hi shigangwang,

I thought you had purchased your mattress in October (see here) but since it appears you only purchased it now Iā€™ll say congratulations on your new mattress once again :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello again,
The advice has gotten me thinking in a different direction. In terms of PPP, my husbandā€™s and my preferences are different so now Iā€™m thinking that the flexibility afforded by the Dreamfoam 12-in-1 might better suit our needs and budget (as opposed to the ā€œone size fits allā€ with return options). According to what Iā€™ve read here, the quality/durability of these mattresses is good. We will probably order two twins from Dreamfoam (and not a split king).
In terms of foundations for the mattresses, we will check to determine whether the foundations work with our antique wooden bed frames which appear to support a standard size (they measure 39"x77"). However, Iā€™m confused about whether, with these mattresses, weā€™d be better off with the Ultimate Dreams Simple Life foundation or whether weā€™d be better off with KD wooden foundations (similar prices). If the former, then Iā€™m wondering if there is a difference between the Ultimate Dreams Simple Life foundation (available from Dreamfoam for $189 minus the 10% discount) and the Simple Life foundation (available on the Brooklyn Bedding site for $170)?
Sorry if Iā€™m being a pain, but I really appreciate the input and wealth of information from the Mattress Forum! Thanks!

Hi lms1,

The 12 in 1 customizable is certainly a great quality/value option and is very flexible choice because of the options you would have available to customize the comfort or support of the mattress after a purchase. It uses 2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality material and there arenā€™t any ā€œweak linksā€ in the mattress.

I would be aware that a regular twin size is only 75" long so if you are taller then a split king (which is the equivalent of two separate twin XL mattresses which are each 80" long) may be a better choice although it doesnā€™t seem that it would fit your bedframe. I would measure your bedframe carefully to make sure that the regular twin size fits.

They would both be suitable for this mattress.

Iā€™m fairly certain that the Simple Life foundation on the Dreamfoam Amazon site and the Brooklyn Bedding site are the same product and would be the same price with the 10% discount that goes with ordering from the Dreamfoam site (see their facebook page here).

Phoenix

Thanks, heading to Spindle Mattress this weekend and will appreciate the discount!

Hi rwaystack,

Youā€™re fortunate that Spindle is so close to you and you are certainly looking at a great option.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

I got referred to this website through a friend, and wowā€¦I admire your dedication and knowledge to help the rest of us. Thanks! Looking forward to finding the right mattress.

Hi spartan914,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found your way here :slight_smile:

There is a lot of information here but just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps most importantly help with how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you for the wealth of information you have provided on this website! I am off to Mattress Makers in San Diego this afternoon and will use your guidelines to help me reach a decision.