Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi

I am so glad that I found this site. As a senior who has special needs ā€“ and limited funds ā€“ I need information like TMU provides (and from sleep like the dead ā€“ but TMU information is more extensive) to do research into how to best select a mattress to purchase (especially online). As I am about to make a purchase, I also really appreciate the business members associated here and the discounts offered; thanks!

Hi dlbt.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am glad you have found us and that the information provided here is helpful to you in your research. It seems that you are quite close to making your purchase but if you are in need of any assistance feel free to reach out and I or any of the Expert members of the site will be happy to help.

Phoenix

I just wanted to say hello! Iā€™m so thankful Iā€™ve found your site. I found your site after having made a mattress purchase for a woefully under structured 12" Hybrid/Latex mattress. 8" of pocketed springs with 3" of latex above, then 1/2" of ā€œJomaā€ wool under an ā€œorganic cottonā€ cover. The company puts themselves out as a premium seller of mattresses they manufacture of their own specifications. I requested Medium/Firm. Having sold mattresses 31 years ago I can tell you theyā€™re not made with the same quality as they used to. I felt like I was sleeping on a boxspring

We had to use it for 30 days before we could request a return. By the 31st morning I could barely walk for the first couple of hours of the day. I knew the first night it was too soft. But, we had already given away our 19 year old Sleep Number bed that leaked and never gave the support they promised. Having had 7 low back surgeries, 1 neck fusion and both shoulders totally reconstructed I needed a quality mattress.

But, then I found you and Sleep Like the Dead. Thatā€™s where I was introduced to Foam Sweet Foam. I was sure of what I needed but they had this button labeled ā€œNeed help choosing layersā€ so I pressed that button. There I detailed my orthopedic disaster of a body and made a plea for help. Almost immediately I received an email from Heidi. She detailed a recommendation for me with such assuredness. But, not a hour later my phone rangā€¦it was Heidi. She wanted to speak with me and make sure of her recommendations. Tremendous service.

Within 5 days I had a custom designed 16" mattress in my home. Actually 2, one for my wife and one for me. I wantedā€¦needed the best. I received a lot more than that. Foam Sweet Foamā€¦I highly recommend! Itā€™s been about 13 nights on our Foam Sweet Foam mattresses. The first few nights were really rough on both of our weary 61 year old bodies. I contacted Heidi, she instructed me to unzip the covers to release the surface tension until we began to break them in. By the 4th or 5th morning I was waking up with less pain than I had in 15 years. Itā€™s gotten better every night since!

I would not have found them without Sleep Like the Dead and Mattress Underground. So, thank you Phoenix!

(One last note, weā€™re still trying to get our money back from _____beds. See, they no longer pick up that given mattress any longer (cost us $2,098, it wasnā€™t even worth picking upā€¦I guess that indicates their real cost). We had to donate the split king, take a photo of the new owners with the beds, email it to them and now weā€™re waiting for our refund. Still, WE had to dispose of these worthless (to us) mattressesā€¦so be careful out there).

Thank you,

Tom

Tom,
Quick question. I have similar back and neck issues. Just wondering what arrangement of layers you got. Also wanted to know about the cover. Iā€™ve been told that the cotton and wool covers change the feel of the latex (i.e. they donā€™t really stretch enough and arenā€™t thin enough to get the full latex feel. You said you were told to keep yours unzipped for a little while. Did this work? What did you notice the difference being? And how long did they say it would take for the cover to feel better? Thanks.

I hope youā€™re ready for this. For me the layer setup right now is;

Medium Talalay
Medium Dunlop
Firm Dunlop
XFirm Dunlop
XXFirm Dunlop.

My wifeā€™s is softer. We have adjustable frames. Does the cover change the feel of the latex? Of course. How much? Youā€™re probably right that it could be significant. Is that a problem for me/us? No.

Itā€™s stated as 1/2" thick, which seems a bit thick. The cover is super nice, soft and very pliable. Iā€™m guessing the wool is measured prior to quilting it into the cover. Iā€™ve slept on a soft latex topper under a mattress protector and a fitted sheet and it was more plush feeling. In fairness, I ordered a VERY firm mattress and itā€™s just breaking in. Also, last night I removed the mattress protector and it immediately softened my mattress. The top of the mattress is becoming softer by the night and I love the solid support it provides.

I do think itā€™s possible that I might want to try a softer top layer for the benefit of my shoulders. But, considering how itā€™s breaking in, maybe not. They are doing quite well (surprisingly, much better) but they could use some more give. I think I may be purchasing a Jersey knit mattress protector in the next day or two. I need it as compliant as I can get it. I wish this wasnā€™t necessary. I mean, who has liquids around their sleeping surface? I donā€™t know, maybe a lot, but we sure donā€™t!

Yes, unzipping it has worked beautifully. It softened immediately and continues to do so. But, I havenā€™t zipped them up yet. I think the covers need some time to adequately stretch in order to comply more fully. They softened a lot just by unzipping them. I think anything quality built and built to last will require breaking in. In fact, the better built, the longer the break in. I donā€™t know how long it will take. My reading here tells me it can take up to a month. Makes sense to me. Especially as Iā€™ve configured my mattress.

Anyway, I hope Iā€™ve provided enough to answer your questions. Any others, just ask.

Tom

So glad I found this website. Thereā€™s so much information to take in, and a forum like this is extremely beneficial when mattress shopping. Looking forward to reading through some of the posts to get a better understanding on everything I need to know!

Hi mlwilliams88,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!, :).

We are glad you are here. Be sure to read the mattress shopping tutorial and if you have not read how to find your perfect mattress, try that also. Thanks again, donā€™t get discouraged, its sometimes overwhelming!

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi! Thank you for providing such an in-depth and thorough website. I am grateful that there are Trusted Members within Canada and I hope I am able to find my perfect mattress :slight_smile:

Hi jasminejav,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thank you for those kind words, and good luck with the members in Canada, and if you havenā€™t read it please review the mattress tutorial.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

Thanks
Sensei

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for all of the great information on this site. Shopping for a mattress is a pain and itā€™s hard to find honest opinions. I really appreciate everything you do here.

Hey Deanorep,

Thanks for the kind words about TMU, let us know when you have any questionsā€¦and yes, it is a pain!!!

Thanks
Sensei

So glad I found this website. I had spent several days circling through many of the pseudo review sites, only to find myself less and less sure of how to move forward. Im getting up to speed, reading through all of the posts and articles and will update everyone if I have any questions and also when Iā€™ve made a purchasing decision.

THANKS!

Hi MoriRy.

Youā€™re very welcome, and Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve found us and that the information is assisting you with making a more informed choice.

Welcome to our Forum! :slight_smile:

Of course ā€¦ let us know if you have any questions, what you decided, or any contributions you might have.

Phoenix

I just wanted to reiterate what everyone else is already saying. Thank you so much for putting this site together and maintaining such a wealth of information. Iā€™m close to finalizing my decision now and leaning towards the Kiss by Sleep EZ. Thanks again!

Hey pmisley,

Thank you for the nice comments, good luck with your KISS mattress. I am sure all will work out well.

Thanks
Sensei

Thank you for those kind words, and good luck with the members in Canada, and if you havenā€™t read it please review the mattress tutorial. Or in case you want flat sheet only you can visit Aanya Linen You can even read about bed and bedding like Flat Sheet Vs Fitted Sheet

Hi. Iā€™ve discovered your website while searching for a new mattress. Love the detailed articles and all the advice that comes with them. Thanks for taking the time to put those together, theyā€™ve been very informative!

Thank you for creating such an informative site. My search for a new mattress began several months ago with the google search ā€œwhat makes a good mattressā€ which lead me to TMU. Iā€™ve done a lot of searching in the forums since then. I have not needed to create a new post because you always have links in your replies which contains the information Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™m ready to make a purchase and I feel confident it will be the right one for me.

Hey srider,

Thank you for the nice words about TMU and so glad you have found help in what can be an incredibly tedious process for some. Well done!

Please donā€™t hesitate to ask any other questions you may have, and do check out our trusted membersduring your evaluations. Thank you.

Sensei