Dormeo Octaspring Mattress

Hi CharlieVancouver,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would also keep in mind that as long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines I lionked to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

[quote]As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation.

As Dormeo is a new product in the marketplace, the upper end price is making me do some more investigation. There certainly seems to be plenty of other options and design configuration to consider. As we read reviews and comparison sites, it is clear that this industry has a tendency to obfuscate the shopping process to such an extent that diligent comparison will only lead us to greater confusion.[/quote]

I would certainly encourage you to do some very careful “value” comparisons when you are looking at mattresses in relatively high price ranges like the Dormeo mattresses and I would need a compelling reason that clearly indicated there was “enough” of a difference in “real life” compared to many other mattresses that may be just as suitable in terms of “comfort” and PPP, just as durable, and that are in much lower budget ranges to justify the higher cost.

If you can provide the information listed here about type and quality/density of the materials and components in their mattresses and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials inside it and the mattress “as a whole” and let you know if I can see any lower quality/density materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress. If a retailer or manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide you with this information then it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about a mattress and it would be a very high risk purchase … and I would pass it by.

I can certainly understand your concerns about the current exchange rates.

You can see my comments about Bedinabox in post #2 here. I would be very cautious with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of 3 lb memory foam which is a lower quality and less durable material that don’t meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines I linked and I would consider this to be a weak link in their mattresses which I would avoid.

You can also see some comments about Casper and Leesa and many of the other what I call “simplified choice mattresses” in post #2 here the simplified choice topic. Leesa also has 2" of 3 lb memory foam in their mattress and even though it’s deeper in the mattress (which generally improves durability) … I would be cautious here as well since it would also be a potential weak link in the mattress.

As long as you aren’t in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) then the materials in the Casper meet the minimum guidelines that I would suggest although there may also be better quality/value options available to you as well.

Dreamfoam (Ultimate Dreams) makes a very wide range of mattresses but they use good quality materials and outside of a very few of their very lowest budget mattresses they also don’t contain any lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses and would be well worth considering.

Novosbed also uses good quality materials in their mattress and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their mattresses either (again assuming you aren’t in a higher than average weight range). NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

Some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada (including Novosbed and Dreamfoam) are listed in post #21 here.

Your own careful testing and/or your actual personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness, etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Vancouver, BC area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix