Dormeo Octaspring mattress

Again shifting my focus thanks to this site. Now looking Latex ---- now looking toward the Pure Latex Bliss or comparable.

While I agree with the bulk of what Phoenix says about the quality of the bases, some retailers offer additional discounts for buying mattress and adjustable base together over buying them separately.

They may have a regional deal. For example, in Louisville KY Sleep Outfitters carries Octaspring but Mattress Firm does not.

Zero G is a memory position. If your adjustable base has programmable memory positions, you can create a zero G position whether or not it says zero g on the button. I would consider an adjustable base with programmable memory positions to be better than one without, if all other features are the same.

While both are soft, I’ve seen cutaways of both beds. The structure is very different.

Hi demackison,

That’s certainly true and an additional discount could be a good reason to buy them both together at the same place as long as an apples to apples comparison for the set was good value compared to other options they had available. If you take the best available cost of the adjustable base at other retailers and then deduct it from the cost of the set you would have a good reference point for the cost of the mattress to make meaningful “value” comparisons with other mattresses.

I agree with this as well. There is more about the zero G position in post #18 here and as you mentioned there are several adjustable beds (such as the Leggett & Platt Prodigy) that allow the user to program their own Zero G position.

The design of the Octaspring 9500 is here and as you are mentioning a comparison with any of the Tempurpedic models would be very much an apples to oranges comparison outside of any purely accidental similarity in perceived softness. They are very different mattresses.

Phoenix

That is a very informative reply!

I was considering buying the Octaspring 6500 after a trip to Sleep Country Canada today.

Now I’m not so sure.

My issue is, I had a Novaform mattress for 2 years that is going back to Costco. I normally wouldn’t return something after that long but they will take it and I need to make a point. After the first 18 months I started to get a very sore back but it took 6 months to realize it was the mattress, after being away a number of times and not having a sore back in other beds. When I looked into it, the warranty is just a bunch of BS so Costco can deal with it (I confirmed they will take it back).

I love the memory foam concept but I’m a side-sleeper so I think I might have to rethink this. After doing so much reading though, it seems memory foam owners are generally much happier than coil bed owners.

Ugh.

Hi CHERYL,

I see you’ve posted in two of the Octaspring threads so you’ve probably read these but just in case you haven’t post #2 here has more thoughts and information about the Octaspring mattresses and a forum search on Octaspring (you can just click this) will bring up more as well.

I would be very cautious about making a mattress choice based on other peoples preferences (which can be very different from your own) or based on reviews … both of which can be one of the worst ways to choose a mattress (see post #13 here).

I would also be very cautious about believing that memory foam owners are happier than owners of a good quality innerspring mattress (or any other mattress that uses good quality materials for that matter). The industry is dominated by innerspring mattresses which use low quality materials above the springs which will soften and break down much too quickly and are the weak link of the mattress but there also are many smaller independent manufacturers across the country which use much higher quality materials above the innersprings (such as latex, memory foam, or higher density polyfoam) that don’t have the same durability issues and that people are very happy with. These kind of generalizations can be very misleading and some of the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry that are familiar with every type of material and component that is available in the industry prefer to sleep on an innerspring (although they all use high quality materials above it instead of the “junk foam” that is so common). Of course there are also others that prefer latex or memory foam mattresses as well and none of them would choose a mattress of any type which used low quality materials in the comfort layers (which are the first to break down).

I would make your choices based on your own careful and objective testing rather than the “marketing stories” that are so common in the industry.

Also in case you haven’t read it already … I would also make sure that you’ve read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

A few updates on the Octaspring bed in the U.S.

1. Octaspring now has Certipur certification on all of their beds.
  2. They have launched two new lines with a few changes from the previous models. Both new lines use names instead of numbers for the individual models and are now made entirely in the U.S.

The Dolcè line has a better cover than last year’s model, black mesh sides and a one inch thicker bottom layer.

The Sèrènitè line has all of the same changes as the Dolcè line, but has replaced the top 2" memory foam layer (the layer above the memory foam octaspring) with talalay latex.