Dormio Tranquility Organic Mattress purchased!

We started looking for a new mattress a few weeks ago. First stop was to Sleep Country as there was one only minutes from my door, and current mattress was from there (pocket coil) and lasted about 10yrs until my wife started to notice it didn’t support her properly anymore. I don’t sleep much so didn’t notice how bad it currently is until a month or so ago. We actually like their iComfort and made the purchase. I had a sinking feeling because we didn’t really research anything, so I did some searching and sure enough my gut feeling was right! Luckily, we wanted them to ship it in a few weeks so had the delivery delayed. I called them up the next day to cancel the order.

Then my search began, and lead me here!

At first I was thinking of going to foamite.com, but after much searching and going to a store to see what the prices were like, they seemed very high, and so close to latex prices, I just ruled them out.

Took me a while, but i narrowed my search down to mattresses.net, but needed to try out a latex mattress to be sure of the feel as never had a non-coil mattress before.

A few days ago, I went to Dormio to try out some of the mattresses to get a feeling for what layer combinations felt best. The sales people were great, gave me an overview of what they had, how they could adjust things, quickly realized I had a bit of knowledge of what I was looking for (thanks mainly to this site!) and left me to roam around and try out the various mattresses (but mentioned just to ask if I wanted some details about anything in particular). Much different experience from when I went to Sleep Country, where the sales don’t leave your side for a minute, constantly pushing unwanted recommendations on you.

The prices at mattresses.net are fantastic, but was a little worried about if something didn’t feel right how much it would cost to exchange pieces (even if it was just to pay for shipping). I returned to Dormio this morning, and once again looked at a few of the mattresses, seeing which ones closely matched the specs of the one at mattresses.net. I talked to the sales person, gave him the details of the mattress I was looking for, and the price I was looking for. They were able to come very close pricewise, and I figured the added benefit of having someone close by if we needed to exchange any pieces would be worth the additional cost.

We purchased the Tranquility model with the default configuration of left side = Medium+Firrm, and right side = Firm+Medium pieces. I thought we might want all firm, but this way we can test all possible combinations at home, and exchange pieces as needed. When I tested in the store, both medium over firm, and firm over medium felt fine.

Now the wait for the bed to arrive! They said it would be between 3-5 weeks.

I’d highly recommend Dormio based on shopping experience to anyone in the Toronto area!.

Will be back to post more on how the bed works out (which I can’t imagine it could be any worse than what I’m currently sleeping on!).

Hi sidesleeper,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback about Dormio … I appreciate it.

It sounds like you did some good research and ended up making a great choice for all the “right” reasons that are important to you … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share an update once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

I definitely will!

I couldn’t take sleeping in the disaster that has become our 12yr old pocket coil mattress( Sealy Renior Pillowtop), so I moved my 25yr that I had when I was a teen (which was… yikes 25yrs now!) into our main bedroom and slept great! This morning, I was curious because I didn’t feel any springs or anything, so I took a look at the label and it’s a Sears-o-Pedic - Prestige!

I guess there’s proof in the durability of foam. Not sure how good the new Sears-o-Pedic mattresses are, but I have a feeling I’ll have this mattress for quite a number of years (especially since it hardly gets used any more, maybe 100 nights a year).

Hi sidesleeper,

As unfortunate as it may be … the mainstream mattresses that are made today generally use lower quality materials and for the most part are nowhere near as durable as the mattresses that were made 15 years ago or more (see post #404 here and post #4 here). Polyfoam comes in a wide range of grades or densities and higher density materials and two sided construction were much more common then than they are now.

The good news is that latex is a higher quality and more durable material than polyfoam (including high quality polyfoam) so your new mattress will maintain its comfort and support for a very long time :).

Phoenix

The mattress arrived today, right on time, and actually on the lower end of the 3-5 weeks delivery estimate.

This was the mattress we ended up with (in a king size)
http://dormio.ca/displayproduct.asp?pID=15

Even though I expected it to be heavy, was amazed at the weight of even just turning the mattress to get access to the zipper and have a look inside.

The main thing I noticed was that I didn’t see any labels or anything on the latex itself to indicate G.O.L.S certified. I did notice the lower half of two stickers, one looked like it might say 100% natural, and the other might have been an ILD number. I didn’t take the mattress completely apart so there may be something I didn’t see on one of the edges. Will probably take a closer look later on., but figured I’d ask here if it’s typical to see these things on the latex layer(s). I have no reason to believe anything is wrong, just something I noticed.

So far so good! I’ll report back after having a chance to sleep on it for a week or two.

Hi sidesleeper,

Thanks for the update … and it’s good to see your delivery was on the quicker end of the range and you can start sleeping on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Any stickers are attached to the original core so if layers are cut from the original core then some will have stickers, some won’t have any at all, and some will have stickers that are cut through depending on which part of the original core they were cut from. This is completely normal.

Phoenix

I can’t believe it’s only been a week since we got the mattress! I’ve noticed a huge difference in how quickly I fall asleep and stay asleep the entire night. Usually I’d wake up after 5 hours or so, didn’t happen much at all this week, and fell back asleep much quicker when it did.

I also noticed something completely unexpected… A little over a year ago I started having some issues with pain in my tailbone. I figured it happened after a fall, and was taking time to heal. Around wednesday, I realized that I didn’t feel the pain after sitting for long periods of time, usually 2hrs or more, and I’d always have pain by the time I drove home from work. I’m thinking that the lack of support in my old mattress might have been preventing my injury to heal perhaps due to the fact that my spine was not properly aligned.

I know medium over firm, with a soft 2" on top seems to work just fine for me, so I’m trying out the Firm over Medium (with 2" soft on very top) on top to see what the difference is like while I have the 90 day exchange available to me. I originally thought I’d want 2 layers of firm just to ensure it’s not too soft after the initial break-in period, guess I’ll find out!

Hi sidesleeper,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

It’s great to see that things are working out so well for you … and your tailbone :slight_smile:

Phoenix

It’s been two months now, and things couldn’ t be better! We replaced one of the medium layers with another firm, so my wife’s side has two firm layers, and I have a medium over firm. Very happy with Dormio!

I purchased a St. Dormier mattress cover from The Mattress & Sleep Co‎ (tmasc.ca) that arrived this afternoon and I really liked how it felt, actually had a nap after placing it on the mattress :slight_smile:

My biggest “problem” is now I dread the thought of having to sleep on the mattress we have in the guest room as this one is SOOO much more comfortable. Will probably tackle that mattress at some point down the road. It’s pretty good, just too firm, probably looking at a 2-3" soft latex topper for it, I’ll be back when time comes for that one to be updated :slight_smile:

Foundation:
A few weeks ago, I removed the semi-flex foundation/boxspring that I kept from my old mattress. Was a bit worried it wasn’t firm enough, so the latex has been on the slats that were in the bed. I measured them and I guess they knew what they were doing when they made the bed, the slats are 2" wide, with 2" space between. Unfortunately, it makes the mattress a bit lower than we’d like so I plan to either purchase a KD foundation or make one. I’m leaning towards making one as I’d have more control over the materials, and although I’m not a handyman by any means, it seems like it shouldn’t be all that difficult (and I could get some assistance from friends if I have trouble).

I was thinking I’d used boards 2" thick x 6-8" high (depending on how high we want the mattress to sit), and cedar boards for the slats that are 5" wide x 2" thick, leaving 2-3" space between. From what I’ve read you can leave as much space as the boards are wide (so in my case 5", but figure 2-3" should be enough for airflow. Would it be better to have slats that are not as wide or perhaps make leave more space between them if I stay with 5" wide slats?

Pillows:
Also coming up will be a few new pillows! I really want to get some nice pillows that have some decent loft to them that don’t shrink down too much. I’ve started reading the pillow threads. I’ve found with the new mattress I like to have a pillow between my knee area (sleeping on my side), and really need to have at least one or two pillows in order to support my neck area properly now that we have a mattress that actually supports me correctly!

My wife doesn’t mind the one’s she uses now. She mainly sleeps on her stomach so the thinner the better. I think once I get some new ones, she might want a few herself :). It took me quite some time to get her to throw out a few pillows that were so “soft” I’m pretty sure there was no actual foam left inside them :sick:

Thanks again for running such a fantastic site Phoenix! If only there were similar sites to this for every major purchase we have to make!

Hi sidesleeper,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Cedar is not as strong as other woods that are more commonly used for slats but if your slats are 2" thick then this should more than make up for this. While narrower gaps are a good idea if you use narrower slats so that you have a more evenly supportive and stronger surface … I wouldn’t use gaps more than 3" regardless of the width of the slats to lessen the chance that your mattress will sink into the gaps over time. 5" slats with 2" - 3" gaps would be fine for airflow and ventilation.

I’m glad the site could help you and thanks for the comments … I appreciate them as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix