Double Tree at Home Sweet Dreams mattress, vs Saatva, vs sleep number...

I purchased a King Beauty Rest Black about a year ago that is way to soft for our liking and has already sunk in significantly despite routine turning of the mattress. We sleep like the dead when we stay at Double Tree so are considering replacing with one of their mattresses that you can get through doubletreeathome. I’m concerned about the customer service and if anyone actually has experience ordering one of their beds for home. In our search we have also come across Saatva and we are quite intrigued, especially since they have what looks like an excellent no hassle return option. The other bed we’ve looked at is sleep number…

Any input as far as these go?

Hi cpaciente,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including several that you are considering).

While I don’t have any personal experience with this mattress … I wouldn’t consider it (or any hotel mattress) either. You can read more about hotel mattresses in general in post #3 here. Serta makes their mattress and I would also avoid the major brands even if they made a consumer mattress that was roughly equivalent (see the guidelines here).

You can read more about Saatva in post #1 here and a forum search on Saatva (you ca just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. While they would generally be a “better than average” choice compared to most mainstream manufacturers … for most of the members here they wouldn’t be in the “best value” range compared to many of the other options that are available (either locally or online).

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in this article and I would tend to avoid them as well.

Phoenix

I wonder if you could direct us to local manufacturers if any? We are near Philadelphia. Zip 19446.

Hi cpaciente,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton areas (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here. The Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton list in post #6 here may also be helpful (although there is a lot of overlap between them).

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the resources - it is a huge help!

My husband is very concerned about cost and really prefers a different mattress feel than I do. Turns out we like the traditional fim coil bed and neither of us care in the least for any type of gel foam. The differences start there however. In our comfort layers I prefer a softer feel latex and he prefers much firmer. Thinking out best bet may be to purchase a locally made firm, two sided inner coil spring mattress with two extra long twin toppers in our preferred comfort level.

Looked at a few customizable options, but figure the bottom line is the comfort layers are really our trouble and what will likely change over time, and are also the areas of any mattress that will break down over time. Is it reasonable to purchase an inexpensive, but well made inner spring and top it with our individual preferred comfort layers?

Hi cpaciente,

There are some suggestions in the first part of post #2 here that may be helpful for couples with different needs and preferences. Side to side split layer mattresses with different firmness levels on each side can be a very good solution. Post #2 here and the posts it links to also have some comments and feedback about split king mattresses.

This can be a good option if you have the chance to test the mattress/topper combination in person before you purchase it to make sure that the combination is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) before a purchase. I would also make sure that the “basic” mattress doesn’t have any weak links in the upper layers which even with a topper can soften or break down prematurely. If you can’t test the combination in person then there can be some additional uncertainty and risk involved in this strategy because it can sometimes be almost as difficult choosing a topper that is a good “match” for a specific mattress and person as buying a mattress in the first place (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

I’m beginning to wonder if you ever sleep :smiling_face:

Indeed I was able to try the mattress/topper configuration at Magi Sleeper in Pottstown, PA today. (Thank you for the contact info!) I called first and spoke at length with Mark (Who, by the way, I think will be contacting you shortly about membership to the site.) He was exceedingly helpful and we discussed a number of options available. I explained our different wishes for comfort as well as the fact that our most successful nights sleep are in doubletree hotels on tge sweet dreams mattress (serta). The bed is a two sided firm inner coil with plush comfort layers. Based on that he directed me to several options on his website and suggested I bring in our feathered to test out with the mattress.

I took a trip to the showroom and spent a bit testing different mattresses alone and was surprised that I most liked the “health sense firm”, which is a very basic firm inner coil with limited layers added for comfort. I tried a few different options for toppers and discovered talalay 22 ild seems right for me. (Although likely too soft for my husband.)

Will be heading back for another visit with my husband and my featherbed.

Here’s hoping we can find a compromise that gets us sleeping through the night and doesn’t completely break the bank.

Hi cpaciente,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments … I appreciate it!

As you know I think highly of Magic Sleeper and I think you are certainly looking in a good direction :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your feedback after your visit with your husband.

Not as much as I’d like to!

Phoenix