Dr. Greene by Serta

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for a very informative site. I’ve gleaned as much as I can to date, and have gone out and tested many different beds, taking seriously your advice to do the research and then go see what really fits! We’ve had a Tempurpedic since 1997, and have loved it. However, it appears that there are many more choices that are perhaps more cost efficient. We tried out iComfort, and like the Genius, the new Tempurpedics and liked the Cloud, Island Dreams and like the Makani. My husband and I need firm support, having both suffered back injuries at some point it time, but are both side and back sleepers, so need a good comfort layer. My husband weighs about 200 lbs and is stocky, and while I’m quite a bit lighter, I too am muscular and stocky. I’d wanted to try a latex bed, but those are nearly impossible to find where we live. We found one T1 Ironman that was being phased out, but found it far too firm. Given that we haven’t been able to truly test drive latex beds, we’re reluctant to order online and pay shipping to the Islands without knowing if we’re going to like something.

So, I’m in a quandary as to what to buy. Oddly, as we were looking at beds in the last place, I cam across the Dr. Green by Serta beds. I found the Bingham Ridge Plush and Pillowtop to be incredibly comfortable. I can’t find any reviews on it on your site or anywhere else. Are you familiar with it and if so, can you offer some feedback? I found data indicating the Serta’s don’t have a good rep for long term structural integrity. If this bed doesn’t fit the bill, what would you recommend for latex beds–Ultimate Dreams and do the custom option?

Thanks for any advice, feedback, or data you might offer!

Klesperance,

You may have read this already but just in case you haven’t … post #1 here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

A mattress is only as good as the construction and quality of the layers inside it and in the case of Serta and most major manufacturers they don’t disclose the quality of the materials and I would avoid any mattress (even for testing) where there is no way to know the quality of what you are considering. No matter how it feels in a showroom … low quality materials (especially in the upper layers) will soften and break down more rapidly and the loss of comfort and support that goes along with this can happen quite quickly (a few months to a few years) and isn’t covered by a warranty … even if you can no longer sleep on the mattress.

Some of the better options I’m aware of in the Hawaii area are listed in post #269 here. There are also some threads that include some discussions and feedback with various forum members in Hawaii in this thread and this thread and this thread and this thread and this thread.

Phoenix