Dreamfoam 12 in 1 Customizable Mattress Vs. Tuft & Needle 10" Vs. Dreafoam UD Latex Mattress

Frustrated/Stressed Wife Here:
I have combed this website as well as reviewed SLTD’s website. I initially was considering Bed in a Box’s PacBamboo or Tranquility Gel w/ Tencel, but after reading the mattress info on this website my thoughts changed. I then considered the Aloe Alexis with BB. However, too much is going on monetarily for this to fit our budget right now, so I then considered the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dream Latex Mattress in cushion firm @ $764.76, but emailed and called “Chuck” to no avail to discuss the best option for my husband and me. I also saw that their is the Dreamfoam 12 n 1 foam option @ 499.00 and the Tuft & Needle foam option @ $600.

The hubby and I are 5’ 8" 200+ and 5’ 10" 300+. We tend to prefer a firm mattress, hubby a bit more so than me–I don’t want to sleep on a rock, but I also don’t do well with soft mattresses. Both of us are stomach sleepers who tend to do some side sleeping as well. We both have back and knee issues too.

I mentioned value is of importance, but so are durability/longevity and comfort. I can be a bit indecisive with certain purchases. Apparently this is one! I need some help narrowing this down to my final choice P-L-E-A-S-E. Also, I must say that I am a bit disappointed that my email to [email protected] was returned undeliverable, the one to [email protected] was never answered, and the message I left at the toll-free number (gentleman’s voice on outgoing) on their website has gone unreturned. However, if they remain a reputable/worthy option, I don’t want to rule them out.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sunshyne Brightly,

I’m not sure what day you called or emailed them (they may have been closed) but they are normally very responsive. I would call again or use their chat.

You can read more about the Tuft & Needle mattresses in this thread and more about the 12 in 1 in this thread. A forum search on tuft needle and on dreamfoam 12 in 1 (you can just click both of these) will also bring up more information and feedback about both of them. Basically The Tuft & Needle is an “all or nothing” option with a good return policy that will either work or it won’t and the 12 in 1 is more customizable and can be customized or fine tuned by re-arranging the layers to suit different body types and sleeping positions. They also have a return policy (if you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon) but there is a small cost involved.

The Ultimate Dreams is also a high quality/value mattress and uses a higher quality and more durable Talalay latex comfort layer instead of the polyfoam in the Tuft & Needle and the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 but at your weight I would be a little cautious about 1.5 lb polyfoam in the support core because you will be compressing the deeper layers more and I would tend to lean towards a mattress that either used thicker layers of latex or used a higher density base foam such as some of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses that use 2.17 lb polyfoam in their base layers. It can also be customized at the time of purchase (you can choose the firmness of the comfort layer) but there are no return or exchange or return options after a purchase

Post #3 here and the posts it links to has more information that would be helpful for those in higher weight ranges. With higher weights you would normally need firmer materials than lower weight ranges (firmer materials will “feel” softer to you) and you would also need to pay more attention to the quality and durability of the foams in the deeper layers of the mattress not just the top layer (you will compress the mattress more deeply than lighter weight ranges).

Their contact email is the [email protected] one you listed and they are usually very responsive but it’s always possible your email was missed or that a reply was filtered out by a spam filter or went to a spam folder. I would tend to use a phone call or chat for any question that has more than a single sentence answer or that has any “it depends” in the answer (which is the case with most questions that are related to mattresses).

You are looking at some good options in your lower budget range and deciding which of them would be the final choice that is “best for you” would depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and your more detailed phone or chat conversations with each manufacturer.

Phoenix

After finally speaking with Chuck and my hubby we have decided to pull the trigger on the Dreamfoam 12 n 1. Thanks to your informative site and personal touch, I feel I am moving in the right direction. I explalined to the hubby that you have just as much information about “toppers”, if we feel this is something needed, so that we can make an equally informative decision.

I was thinking we should go with this platform to fit inside of our bed system: Amazon.com. Your insight will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Sunshyne Brightly,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

The 12 in 1 is certainly a good choice in its budget range … especially for those that may need to customize the comfort/support of the mattress after their purchase.

The first “rule” of choosing a foundation is to check with the manufacturer first to make sure that a foundation you are considering is a suitable choice for the mattress you purchased and meets their warranty criteria. It will “probably” be fine but it’s also not the most evenly supportive of the wire grid type of foundations because the gaps between the wires are larger than some of the others (see post #10 here) so there may be a bigger chance that the mattress may sag into the wider gaps over time. There are some alternatives that may have more evenly distributed support under the mattress in the foundation post here (under “Steel grid non flex foundations”) that may also be worth considering.

Most of these types of platform bedframes are strong and don’t have any durability issues but all them also seem to have a few that have developed squeaks over time (which should be “fixable” if you find the source of the squeaks) or a few instances where a weld or the frame has broken but these don’t seem to be the “norm”.

I would also check the return policy and the costs involved just in case yours is one of the ones that develops an issue.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive your mattress and also finding out which configuration you do best with.

Phoenix