DreamFoam Pocketed coil mattress?

Hello!

So I made a mistake and bought a Bed in a Box mattress. Now there is nothing wrong with the mattress. I don’t care for the fact that is much firmer than the one we tried in the showroom but it’s comfortable overall. The problem is that I have been waking up with pain in my lower back ever since the 2nd night we slept it. I basically can not sleep on my back at all to avoid this issue. I’m attributing this issue to the memory foam mattress specifically and not that brand. So we returned it and now I desperately need a new mattress. I have no idea what to get though. I’ve been looking at the DreamFoam’s on Amazon and also some Ikea mattresses. I like the way the DreamFoam pocketed coil bed looks but it comes with 3 different pillow tops and I’m not sure what would be best. 2 inches of gel memory foam, latex or just whatever is in a standard pillowtop. I got really hot on the Bed in a Box one but would that be different if I was just sleeping on 2 inches of it? Also I like a softer mattress and my husband likes a firmer one. We had the pac bed original from BIAB and it was too firm for me but my husband liked it. Is latex cooler? Also I don’t want to sink in too much on foam but I also don’t want to be bouncing on top of it on latex. I’m so torn!

Or what about the ultimate dreams latex?

Hi mollysw,

I’m not sure how long you’ve had your bedinabox mattress but it normally takes little time to go through the initial break in period and for you to adjust to any new sleeping surface and there could be other factors involved in why your mattress feels different from the one you tried in the store. There is more about the break in and adjustment period for memory foam mattresses and some other suggestions that may be helpful in post #2 here although the BIAB mattresses use lower quality/density memory foam than I would normally consider (see post #2 here). Since you’ve already returned it though this is all a moot point.

I would start with the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Dreamfoam is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality and value and service. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase any of their mattresses based on the quality of the materials or their “value” but like any mattress purchase the mattress that is “best for you” depends on your confidence about whether it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here), and whether you are comfortable with the options you have after a purchase to return, exchange, or make changes to the mattress along with the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you compared to the other finalists you are considering.

Yes … latex is the most breathable and “coolest” of all the foam materials but there are also many other factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress including the mattress protector you use and your sheets and bedding that can be just as important as the type of foam in a mattress. There is more about the different factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

I would keep in mind that there are many options that are in between the two extremes that you are mentioning with either memory foam mattresses or with latex mattresses (or mattresses that use a combination of both materials or even other materials in the comfort layers). The preference about sleeping “in” vs “on” a mattress always depends on the specific design, combination, and firmness of the materials in a mattress and in most cases only your own experience can confirm whether you are in the part of the “in vs on” range that would the best match for your preferences.

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post you will have the best possible chance of finding a mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP and is also a great quality and value purchase based on all the criteria that are important to you.

Phoenix

We got our BiaB in February. So I slept on it every night for 4 months with no improvement. Even without the back pain the heat build up is unbearable. Even if it was nice and cool in my room, whatever part of my body that was laying on the mattress would be soaked with sweat.

I had researched for a couple months before we bought it, a lot of it from this website, and I knew that they were not recommended because of their lower density foam but my husband didn’t buy into any of the facts and convinced me to go try them and out and so that’s how we ended up with the pacbed original.

I like something that feels soft and comfy without actually sinking a bunch and my husband prefers rock hard so it’s hard for us to agree. Overall though he can pretty much go to sleep on whatever and I’m the one who will lie awake all night because I’m uncomfortable.

Hi mollysw,

I think that would be more than “long enough” :slight_smile:

While “comfy” is very subjective and each person can have their own idea of what that would mean to them that can be very different from someone else … the first part of post #2 here includes some information about mattresses for couples that have different needs and preferences just to highlight that there are certainly good options available for these types of circumstances.

Phoenix

Phoenix do you know what the DreamFoam pocked coil with the latex pillowtop is made out of? Like what is in the actual mattress over the springs? I can’t find anything that says on Amazon or their website.

Hi mollysw,

No … all I know is what is listed in the description which includes 2" of Talalay latex but I don’t know the rest of the materials so you would need to ask them for any more specific information.

Phoenix