DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop vs. Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever

We live in Lincoln NE and after searching the recommended factory direct retailers in the area believe our best option is probably an online purchase.

I am a 5’ 4" woman 130lbs 33 yrs old, my husband is 6’2" 175lb, we both experience mild back irritation from time to time and believe our current mattress is a contributor. We are back and side sleepers.

Of the mattresses we’ve tried in stores we prefer the feel of a softer/medium soft memory foam or latex mattress. We like the spine stability they offer.

After researching I think latex will be a better option for us b/c husband sleeps very hot.

We have narrowed to two options and I am curious if there are any specific reasons to choose one over the other…both appear quality options. We are getting a King and this is right in our price point.

1. DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop: I like the idea that this has a modifiable topper in the event the mattress is too firm or too soft. This also has a slighter thicker profile than the BME (don’t know if that makes a difference or not. One of the major drawbacks here seems to be the trial and exchange policy vs. BB.

2. Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever: This looks to be a great option, with excellent trial/return policies. My main concerns are 1.) 10 in profile seems thin (again not sure it matters), 2.) other reviewers seemed to find this mattress on the firm side, I really want to achieve straighter alignment on my side…can that be achieved with this mattress. 3.) if we choose this mattress should we go with soft or medium given the info I shared above about our preference for various memory foams we’ve tried?

Any thoughts from folks who’ve tried either of these mattresses would be very much appreciated. I’ve read previous postings…which have left me with the aforementioned questions.

Finally, I don’t believe either bed is sold with a foundation…would it be preferable to get one for either bed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi bhaskinNE,

You’ve probably seen this but just in case you haven’t the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Lincoln/Omaha areas are listed in post #2 here.

[quote]1. DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams Eurotop: I like the idea that this has a modifiable topper in the event the mattress is too firm or too soft. This also has a slighter thicker profile than the BME (don’t know if that makes a difference or not. One of the major drawbacks here seems to be the trial and exchange policy vs. BB.

1. Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever: This looks to be a great option, with excellent trial/return policies. My main concerns are 1.) 10 in profile seems thin (again not sure it matters), 2.) other reviewers seemed to find this mattress on the firm side, I really want to achieve straighter alignment on my side…can that be achieved with this mattress. 3.) if we choose this mattress should we go with soft or medium given the info I shared above about our preference for various memory foams we’ve tried?

Any thoughts from folks who’ve tried either of these mattresses would be very much appreciated. I’ve read previous postings…which have left me with the aforementioned questions.[/quote]

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to “fine tune” a mattress or the exchange/return options that are available to you).

Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are sister companies and both of them are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and i believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I would keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how two mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

Both of these mattresses are latex/polyfoam hybrids and use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them.

The BestMattressEver uses slightly thicker layers of latex than the Dreamfoam Eurotop, comes in three firmness options, and has a longer trial period than the Dreamfoam Eurotop (120 days vs 45 days) and has a free return policy if for any reason the mattress doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. It’s also slightly more costly than the Eurotop.

The Dreamfoam Eurotop has more firmness options available before a purchase and as you mentioned they also have the option to exchange the Talalay latex comfort layer for a firmer or softer version for a nominal charge (see post #7 here) so you have options after a purchase to customize the firmness of the mattress if your sleeping experience indicates that you need to after a purchase instead of only having the option of returning it. If you do decide to return it then it also has a shorter trial period and there is a $99 return fee. It’s also slightly less costly than the BME.

The thickness of a mattress is really just a side effect of the design and is only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges will sometimes do better with a mattress that is a little thicker than lower weight ranges but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences than anything else.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You will need a support system under the mattress which can be either a bedframe and a foundation or a platform bed. There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in post #1 here and there is also some additional information about support systems that would be suitable for both of the mattresses you are considering (and other similar mattresses) in this topic. Both Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam sell the Simple Life foundation that would be suitable for either mattress (although I believe that the cost is slightly less through Dreamfoam than through Brooklyn Bedding). Dreamfoam also sells the Genius Hi Rise platform bedframe here as well that can be used instead of a bedframe and foundation combination.

Phoenix