DreamFoam/Ultimate Dreams Mattress/Phoenix

First of all I would like to thank Phoenix for the research and great work he’s done on this site. As with pretty much everyone else I had no idea how to pick a mattress, all I knew was that my old mattress was 10 years old and I needed a new one and that memory foam seemed to be the way to go. Holy cow, the prices at the stores are definitely something. Luckily I found this site and was able to learn enough to be dangerous and then make an informed decision. It’s still a bewildering amount of options. After reading some of the various and exhaustive posts by Phoenix I was able to narrow it down by focusing on what was important to us. So again - thanks!

I decided to buy my foundation locally. I ran into either confusion about buying a mattress online and never having tested it or outright anger that I would even consider such a thing. It was disappointing as the anger came from a place that we have bought a fair amount of furniture from. To me that just goes to show how lucrative the bed business is at furniture stores. And how threatened they are about having informed customers.

Anyway to the mattress review - the DreamFoam Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattress is what we ended up picking. It was a little nerve racking to buy a mattress I hadn’t even laid on. First of all the reviews on Amazon and what I read on this site about the mattress and the company added up with the price made it worth the risk. It turned out to not be a risk at all. We love our mattress. It is very soft, you do sink into it. It did take a while to get used to that, at first I was waking up when I rolled over. It doesn’t seem to trap heat. To be honest I don’t have anything more in-depth than that. Simply put - it’s a great mattress and we sleep wonderfully on it.

Lastly I did talk to Chuck and found him very responsive and easy to deal with. I am very happy with the mattress and the company.

Hi Tim_K,

Unfortunately this is often the case. I certainly appreciate the value of being able to test a mattress locally but in many cases the “premium” you pay is so high that it can be difficult to justify and makes any additional risk of buying a similar quality mattress online much more attractive. There are many local manufacturers and retailers who compete well with online merchants … but there are also many who don’t.

It certainly seems to me that you did well both in terms of quality/value and in terms of making a suitable choice!

Congratulations on your new mattress … and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi, Thanks for all the good information Phoenix. My first post. I went to the mattress stores yesterday and found that they know absolutely nothing about the mattress’s they are selling. I ask so many questions that I think they were glad to see me leave and they answered very few of the questions. I guess you have made me dangerous too. I have narrowed my choices to bb’s Adele or Alexis. This is a very good web-site for mattress buyers. Thank you jackbull

Hi Jackbull,

Unfortunately … outside of smaller sleep shops and factory direct manufacturers … this is more the rule than the exception. in most cases consumers that spend a couple of hours on this site will probably know more than most of the salespeople who sell mattresses at mainstream stores. As you say … that can be “dangerous” … to their sales at least :slight_smile:

Both of these would be very good quality/value choices. Interestingly enough with their layer exchanges you could turn one into the other (by exchanging memory foam for latex or vice versa) so I guess the main question to answer before choosing one over the other would be which material you were most attracted to as a comfort layer (memory foam or latex) … at least to start with.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your choice and your experience when you receive it.

Phoenix

first post! Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the reading material provided on this website. I’m about to order the ultimate dreams mattress off amazon, in large part due to the rave reviews it’s received on amazon and this site as well. I tried a sealy posturpedic plush in a store (which chuck said was equal to a 6 on his scale) and didn’t think that my shoulders sank in enough. But the pillow soft(equal to 8 ) was too much for me. So I’m going with a 7. Hope this works out!

Hi whitedragon1281,

You are certainly making a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback and hearing about your experience on the mattress when you receive it.

Phoenix