Dreamstar Memory Foam (Toronto Manufacturer)

Hello,
I’ve been reading this great forum and am trying to make an educated purchase. I’ve decided to take bigbox sales shops out of the equation, and I feel good about it already!

My partner and I (average heights and weights) are looking for a memory foam mattress in medium/soft firmness and have a budget of up to $2000, obviously cheaper is better if we can great value, which brings me to DreamStar.

Does anyone have feedback on them? Open to suggestions for other specific mattresses as well.

The two models I am looking into are:

1. Comfort O Pedic Plush (specifications on a different site and so unsure of accuracy)
    http://dreamstarbedding.com/COMFORTOPEDIC_PLUSH.html
    Visco Top - 3" 5.5 lbs visco memory foam;
    Comfort Base - 7" soy bio high density foam core / (plush version) plush foam core

2. Dream Sensation
    http://dreamstarbedding.com/DREAM_SENSATION.html
    Two full lumbar support pads with 1″ insulator pad
    2″ Bio gel foam
    7″ Bio high density foam

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Hi jr,bay,

[quote]I’ve been reading this great forum and am trying to make an educated purchase. I’ve decided to take bigbox sales shops out of the equation, and I feel good about it already!

My partner and I (average heights and weights) are looking for a memory foam mattress in medium/soft firmness and have a budget of up to $2000, obviously cheaper is better if we can great value, which brings me to DreamStar.

Does anyone have feedback on them?[/quote]

It sounds like you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the first place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read (just in case you haven’t read them yet) are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP and how well you sleep the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Neither one of the mattresses you listed includes the foam density for all the layers so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about either mattress in terms of their quality or durability but if you can find out or confirm the foam density for all the layers in both mattresses (either from your retailer or from Dreamstar itself) and post them on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials that would be a cause for concern or that would compromise the durability or useful life of either mattress.

5.5 lb memory foam is a good quality and durable material that wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress but I would confirm that the density is correct and I would also want to know the density of the base layer as well before considering it for a purchase.

Dreamstar makes some good quality/value mattresses and I would certainly consider them on a “mattress by mattress” basis. A forum search on Dreamstar (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about some of their mattresses as well (although I don’t think that there are any comments about either of the specific mattresses you’ve mentioned).

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for the thoroughly and prompt response. Read up on some of the recommended posts, including durability.

I have followed up with Dreamstar and they have advised that the respective density’s are 5 lb for memory foam and 2.2 lb for high density foam. The recommended model was the Comfort O Pedic which appears to have 3" Memory Foam (Visco) and 7" High Density Bio Foam, meaning the average density of the top 5" is about 3.9" lb. Is the 2.2lb a weak link we should be considered about?

I suppose we could also inquire about custom construction if the weak link is a concern.

Thanks again.

Hi jr,bay,

The “average” density doesn’t mean anything … only the specific density of each individual layer.

The minimum density guidelines are 4 lb for memory foam and 1.8 lb for polyfoam so 5 lb memory foam and 2.2 lb polyfoam are both high quality and durable materials so there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for any concern. If you have confirmed that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it compares well to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Hi,

I’m considering purchasing the Dreamstar Baron Bed in a Box for $649 ($765 with shipping). I called Dreamstar and they gave me these specifications:

7" Biofoam 2.2
2" High Resilience Foam 1.9
1" Talalay (all natural)
1" Gel Memory Foam 5lb

Would biofoam and high resilience foam would fall under the same guidelines for durability as polyfoam? Are there any potential issues with durability based on the specifications that they provided?

Thank you!

Hi kayla j,

Biofoam is polyurethane foam, except that a very small portion of the polyols that compose the polyfoam (derived from refined crude oil) have been replaced by some plant alcohol (usually soy)
High resilience foam is also a polyurethane foam.

The HR foam layer at 1.9lb density seems low, here’s more on the subject

Are you sure you’re getting 100% natural talalay I’m only aware of 2 manufacturers that make this and it’s quite expensive.

Even if it’s not all natural, talalay latex is a superior product, and should be durable.
At 765$ Canadian, this is a decent mattress for the price and should give 6-10 years of comfort.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Hi I am getting e-mail notifications from a number of topics on this forum which I never subscribed to. Can you please tell me how to turn them off?

Hi Mario,

Thank you for your response. If HR foam is polyfoam would it not fall under the guideline of 1.8lb density or higher or is it produced differently? On Dreamstar’s web page for the Baron ( https://dreamstarbedding.com/latex-mattresses/baron/ ) mattress it says “Talalay Natural Latex” but I think that it is likely a blend.

Kind regards,
Kayla

@Hammer - When logged into the forum, click on ‘Profile’ in the header of the page. Then if you scroll down you should see Category and Topic Subscriptions which you can individually select and then choose the action to unsubscribe as desired. Hope this helps!

Hi Hammer,

I had a quick look in the back end and noticed that you had an entire category General Mattresses Questions that you were subscribed to which explains why you were receiving so many emails.
For your reference, there were also two topics you were also subscribed to.

Who Can I Trust to Help Me Find A Mattress???
Okay, Starting Over, Again!

I deleted all your subscriptions so you should not receive any notifications any longer
If you chose to subscribe agains as Sweet Dreams mentioned you can always unsubscribe by:

Logging in > go to Our Forum > click Profile tab > Subscriptions tab > scroll down past the Post Activity > In the Topic Subscription section > click Chose Action arrow > click Unsubscribe Selected > click Go

Phoenix

Hi kayla j,

Yes, it would, however it cannot be called HR if it’s under 2.4lb density.

As explained here:
I think you may have misunderstood what you read. HR polyfoam is rarely used in support layers (even polyfoam that is more than 2.4 lbs may not be HR) and it’s not that less than 2.4 lb “shouldn’t” be used in a mattress (you can see the quality/density guidelines I would use in post #4 here ) but that if polyfoam is less than 2.4 lbs then it can’t be HR.

All the best
Mario