Dunlopillo quality

Can anyone report on Dunlopillo mattresses by Sherwood. Specifically the ambiance. It is being offered by a chain store, Mattress Firm, in my area, $3200 for a King. I’m finding it difficult to locate reviews or price comparisons. Your experience would be most appreciated. Thank you

While I don’t have any experience with the Dunlopillo Ambiance series I previously owned their Retreat series Eurotop which is their next series up the line. While the mattress was exceedingly comfortable in the store they are not very forthcoming in providing densities of the foams that they use in the various models. The combinations of foam types being used make them seem very appealing, but it didn’t take long for the mattress to get soft and lack the support it had when new. The softening wasn’t visible as depressions when not on the mattress so there was no warranty issue, just a lack of support due to the foams becoming overly soft. I am a high BMI at 6’4" and 270 lbs so I’m sure that was a factor, but if higher density foams were used I’m sure it would have held up better for a more reasonable period of time. Btw I did see some articles stating that MF has bought out Sherwood who is the US licensee for Dunlopillo, so if you do decide to purchase one there should be quite a bit of room to negotiate on their price!

In that same price range MF now offers their own Dream Bed Lux series which are made of very high density foams and incorporate foam Octasprings licensed by Dormeo. There are a few models with varying firmness levels, but they are generally a much firmer and more supportive all foam mattress compared to the much plusher Dunlopillo designs. You’d may want to try them out to find which you prefer, although you can also find much less expensive quality foam mattress designs from other companies like many of those that are members of this site.

Hope this helps!

Hi kmanix,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Steinhoff International purchased Mattress Firm in 2016, and in 2017 announced that they had purchased a majority stake in Sherwood Bedding, so that is the reason for seeing the Sherwood Bedding products filtering into the Mattress Firm stores. Unfortunately, Sherwood doesn’t provide any meaningful details about this mattress on their web site, and Mattress Firm is also not known for providing meaningful details about the products they offer.

You can see the individual layers of the Sherwood Dunlopillo Ambience here (assuming Steinhoff or Mattress Firm hasn’t changed the layers of the product) but they don’t mention the thickness of each layer or the density of the polyfoam layers so I would make sure that you find this out (especially with the upper layers of the mattress) so that you can identify any weak links in the mattress.

Sherwood or Mattress Firm should be able to provide you with the information you need (see this article ) and if you can post it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials inside the mattress for you.

You can read a few general comments about Sherwood Bedding in post #2 here and post #2 here. They are certainly a legitimate company but as you can see in post #5 here they aren’t always completely transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses. Some of their mattresses use good quality materials that would be worth considering and some use lower quality/density materials which I would avoid, so it will really depend on the specifics of the mattress you are considering (and your ability to find out the specifics of the materials and components inside it).

Regarding reviews, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful. A mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

When selecting a mattress, hopefully you’ve already read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When selecting a mattress you can’t feel quality or durability, so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If for any reason a retailer or a manufacturer is either unwilling or unable to provide you with the information that you need (about the thickness and density of any polyfoam or memory foam layers in a mattress in particular) to assess the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress I would avoid it completely. It would be reasonable and “safer” to assume that any “unknown” materials in a mattress are lower quality/density range than the guidelines (otherwise they would probably disclose it) and without this information it’s just not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability or useful life of a mattress and you would be making a very risky purchase.

Regarding Dunlopillo, they were a manufacturer of Talalay latex and when they went bankrupt the brand name “Dunlopillo” still had “value” because of their long history and the name was purchased by a number of different companies around the world and its ownership became very fractured. Most of the equipment from the factory and the rights for the Dunlopillo name in North America (and some other countries as well) were purchased by what is now Talalay Global ( post #2 here and the posts or articles it links to has more about the ownership of the Dunlopillo brand name in different areas of the world).

In the case of Dunlopillo branded mattresses that are in the countries that are owned by Talalay Global … the latex in the Dunlopillo branded mattresses would be Talalay latex made by Talalay Global. The Ambiance charts shows it to have one layer of Talalay latex, with the rest being polyfoam.

The first mattress manufacturer to license the Dunlopillo brand name for North America was Paramount mattresses in 2010
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: enhancedonlinenews.com/portal/site/eon/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100805006371&newsLang=en&permalinkExtra=
but this was only a license to use the name. Sherwood purchased the license to use the name in North America in 2014.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sherwoodbedding.com/2014/05/sherwood-bedding-secures-dunlopillo-licensing-in-
north-america/

Phoenix