Eco Friendly Memory Foam

Is there truly an Eco Friendly Memory Foam? I only ask because I’m looking for a mattress for my two boys and trying to decide between a hybrid, latex, or a eco friendly memory foam mattress. The only problem is, I don’t trust any of the claims made by some of these websites so I figure this is the best place to ask if something such as this truly exists?

Thanks in advance. I know I’ve asked a similar question in the past pertaining to a specific vendor but now there is an entire crop of them on the web and it is a bit confusing.

Mark

Hi Mdgail1,

Can I ask what is your definition of an Eco Friendly Memory Foam?

Yes, you sure can. Just based on what I have read, I assume an eco friendly memory foam mattress will be low in chemicals with little to no VOC’s coming from the mattress itself.

And this is a description that one vendor, who shall be nameless, has posted on their website. I’m just trying to figure out how much truth there is to this statement.

“Eco-Friendly memory foam is premium memory foam that has been made with less harmful chemicals. It has the same great body conformance for great comfort and has the added benefit of better durability (longer life) because of the consistency in the manufacturing process”.

Hi, mdgail1

Polyurethane or slow-response latex, labelled as eco friendly memory foams are both made with a high concentration of chemicals and VOC’s are present. Some companies do add plant based alcohol to their mix so they can label their memory foam as “eco” but the quantity added is quite small.

I doubt this statement applies to what you really want for you and your family. If you are looking for the healthiest foam product available, look at organic dunlop latex or radium talalay latex amongst others. Both are made with pure rubber from the Hevea Brasiliensis tree and are not bended with the VOC styrene and butadiene.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Thanks. I’m very familiar with dunlop and talalay. I even have a hybrid mattress on my radar that has a talalay top. I’m just trying to understand what these other mattresses are trying to be and if they do have anything to offer me.

Anyway, thank you for your time and your comments. They are much appreciated.

Hi mdgail1

You may already be aware that most talalay on the market advertised as “natural” is a blend of 70 % synthetic and 30% natural rubber. Since synthetic latex contains styrene butadiene a known VOC, it may not be that natural if you want to limit your exposure to VOC’s.
More on this subject what is 100% natural talalay

Good luck in your search

Mario