Eco pur by dreameasy vs. locally made mattress by Waterloo Mattress for 5 yr boy

Hi sweetdreams,

Unfortunately this is not only an issue with smaller towns but an even bigger issue in larger cities across America and canada where chain stores that operate exactly like you are describing dominate the market. This is the main reason why I started this site. You are not alone in your frustration.

Again … your frustrations are shared in many cities across the continent and some places have even fewer options than you do. You at least have two factory direct manufacturers that are very close that you can visit and have choices of better quality and value products even than many people in some of the larger cities in Canada and the US.

If I was in your shoes I would just focus on the choices you have at Beam Bedding and Waterloo Mattress and possibly Ikea. For a 5 year old, a basic polyfoam mattress with a 2" layer of “medium” latex (either in the mattress or as a topper) would probably work well and if you wanted something a little more comfortable for you as well then adding a 3" layer instead of 2" would make it a little softer.

I would probably tend to focus on what was likely to be best for your 5 year old rather than spending a lot of time testing a mattress yourself and then just “shift” the comfort a bit (such as using 3" of latex vs 2") to make it a little more comfortable for you as well without making it too soft for your child. If it’s a little too firm for you it would probably work well.

The choices that I linked in the Cambridge/Kitchener/Waterloo list in post #2 here that are close to you are the manufacturers and retailers I would consider working with. I don’t think you would have to look beyond these and there are several that are close enough to you that you should have good options and choices.

Phoenix