Erie County PA mattress shopping

Anyone have good recommendations on where to go mattress shopping in Erie county PA?

John v Schultz and Arthur F Schultz seem to be the areas main goto stores but I really get they idea that they are just trying to push you to the most expensive model and don’t listen to what your budget is and what you are looking for.

We also have a Denver Mattress, a Sleep Gallery, and a Jamestown Mattress Store. The Denver Mattress prices seemed pretty high to us for the latex options. I haven’t visited the other two yet. Not sure what our best options would be.

I am 5’11" and 280 lbs. My wife is 5’ and 95 lbs. So I think what we are looking for is something we can customize each side. From what I am reading on the site, latex seems like the best material. I like it for its durability.

I am also looking online at maybe mattress.net or customsleepdesign.com. Let me know what you think and if anyone knows other places we could try. Really appreciate all the great info on the site.

Hi cfalzone,

In case you haven’t already read it … post #1 here and the information it links to is the place I would start. this will give you all the basic information and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

I don’t see a single mattress at either of these stores that would interest me. All they carry is major brands which would be a completely blind purchase and typically have lower quality and value compared to many other choices you have available.It’s also not likely that they will have either the desire or ability to give you any meaningful information about any of their mattresses in terms of their quality or value that would let you make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. These are mattresses that are sold based on marketing and sales “stories” and not real information about the quality of their materials.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Erie area are listed in post #313 here.

Their two “mostly latex” mattresses (the Snowmass and the Aspen) are actually very reasonable compared to any major brand that has anything similar to offer. They also list the details of every layer of their mattresses which gives you the ability to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. While I would ignore the major brand mattresses they also carry … I would certainly include the mattresses they make in my research (and I would make a point of including Jamestown as well).

As you probably know … both of these are invited members of this site which means that I believe they offer among the best quality, value, and service in the country. The full list of the members here that sell online are in post #21 here.

You have many local options that I would eliminate completely (using the guidelines that are linked in the first post I mentioned) but also have some very good options available to you both locally and online.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your recommendations. Now that I look online I do see Denver Mattress Prices are lower than what I thought. I think the day I went in they started off by showing me the top expensive name brands. I am going to take another trip in and ask to look specifically at their latex offerings. I spoke with some friends and they are happy with their purchases from DM.

Out of the ones at DM, The ones I plan on looking at are: Breckenridge, Aspen, Telluride, and the Snowmass.

Looking purely at the specs they list, do you think I should rule out the Breckenridge? It seems to be mostly just 1.8lb Convoluted HD Foam. I know it would not be as durable as the Latex, but it is still worth looking at? Also where they list HR Foam in the Aspen and Snowmass’ Support Layer, do you know if this is actually HR Foam? I’ve read on the site that this is often miss-labeled. I don’t think I mind the support layer being coils in the Telluride as long as it is built well and provides the proper support.

I am also going to go down to Jamestown’s store and see what they have to offer as well. Their site is under construction right now so I’ll have to go in and take a look I guess. I dunno if we will make it to Fred’s or not. It is not in a great location but maybe we’ll try and get in and look at the Dutch Craft. I have heard some people say they are usually cheaper and the sales staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. I’ve called and emailed hybrid-nation sleep science to ask if they have sales pricing on their listings. Haven’t heard anything back from them yet. The prices on even their cheapest models online seem out of our price range if not.

Hi cfalzone,

That would depend on your budget and what you wanted to spend. In its budget range it would be very good value although I wouldn’t buy it based on having a very thin layer of latex alone.

Manufacturers tend to have roughly comparable “raw value” across their product line although as the prices get higher you will generally find that margins increase as well.

So I wouldn’t buy it based on having 1/2" of latex in it but I would consider it as a good value lower budget mattress because 1.8 lb polyfoam is a higher density/quality material than many major manufacturers use in their mattresses that are priced much higher.

I would also bear in mind that the Telluride also has 2.5" of polyfoam in the top layers of the mattress so while it has 2" of latex underneath this “in the mix” you would be sleeping more on polyfoam than on latex. I generally suggest no more than around an inch or so of polyfoam (less than 2") over any latex both because even 1.8 lb polyfoam will be less durable than latex in the top layer and because if there is more than this then you would be sleeping more on polyfoam than on latex.

No … this is listed as 1.8 lb polyfoam which would make it HD (high density) polyfoam not HR polyfoam. It may have a higher resilience than some other foams (this is measured by the percentage return when a ball is dropped on the foam) so it may be a “descriptive” term but it’s not the actual “grade” or type of the foam.

Jamestown would be well worth visiting. They must have just recently begun the site upgrade because I was on it not too long ago. It will be interesting to see how it changes.

Dutch Craft uses good quality materials in their mattresses and often has good value as well.

Hybrid Nation sells mainly through shows and it would be important (as you know) to make sure you know the layers in any mattress you are considering there so that you can make meaningful value comparisons with other similar mattresses because their website prices to seem to be somewhat out of line … at least compared to many other choices that are available … regardless of the quality of their materials.

Phoenix