Ernest Hemingway Mattress Collection

Hi Phoenix,

I am new to this forum but I’ve been reading around and its quite the education, thank you for all the information! I just put a deposit on the Beautyrest Legend but after looking at this site I’m going to get it back, luckily it is refundable. However I was also looking into the Ernest Hemingway Mattress which I saw in a Thomasville Store and it was so incredibly comfortable but pricey. It is manufactured by Mattress Development Corp in North Brunswick, NJ. They also manufacture Therapedic. I am attaching a picture of the label that was next to the bed indicationg what components make up the mattress. I was wondering if you knew anything about this collection and the manufacturer and could offer any insight. Thanks so much.

Sandi
Hillsborough, NJ

Hi san08844,

I’m glad you found us in time to realize that a Simmons mattress isn’t a good quality/value choice :slight_smile:

[quote]However I was also looking into the Ernest Hemingway Mattress which I saw in a Thomasville Store and it was so incredibly comfortable but pricey. It is manufactured by Mattress Development Corp in North Brunswick, NJ. They also manufacture Therapedic. I am attaching a picture of the label that was next to the bed indicationg what components make up the mattress. I was wondering if you knew anything about this collection and the manufacturer and could offer any insight. Thanks so much.[/quote].

Ernest Hemingway is one of a stable of brands that are under the umbrella of Mattress Development Co. owned by Stuart Carlitz which includes Eclipse, Eastman House, and Hemingway (see this article). Hemingway and Eastman House are their more premium brands. He also owns Bedding Industries of America which is one of the factories that makes their mattresses and which is also a Therapedic licensee.

The materials that are listed in your description (pocket coils, micro coils, Talalay latex, Pima cotton) are all good quality materials and the tufting in the construction is a feature that is usually found in higher budget more premium mattresses that will help the mattress keep its shape and adds to durability and the useful life of a mattress. The description isn’t complete however and I would want some additional information about all the layers in the mattress to make sure there are no weak links in the design (see this article).

Stuart Carlitz is certainly passionate about mattresses and the industry and one of the things I like about the Mattress Development Co and Bedding Industry of America Brands is that they are transparent about the materials they use and you will generally be able to find out the specifics of all the materials and components in the mattress so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. They are the 16th largest manufacturer in the country and were just outside of the “top 15 here” but when I talked with him last he told me that the numbers he submitted for the rankings were audited and accurate while the numbers for #15 were only an estimate and were only a million dollars more than his so I told him I would add him to the “top 15” list on the site as #16.

Once you know all the specifics of the materials inside your mattress and have confirmed that there are no weak links in its design … then you will be able to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

The most important part of the value of a mattress is how well it matches your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP and careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post is the best way to assess this (keeping in mind that the “showroom comfort” is subjective and doesn’t always translate into how well you sleep on a mattress and it’s important to make sure that subjective comfort alone isn’t all you test for).

If your testing indicates that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then the quality and durability of the materials and identifying any weak links in the design are the next most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

After this … the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you are the other parts of the value of a mattress purchase that may also be important to you that can help you compare one mattress purchase to another.

Once you have confirmed that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you and you have confirmed that there are no weak links in the mattress, then you will be in a much better position to compare the mattress to any other “finalists” that you are considering.

If there are no cautions or weak links … then you can decide whether there is enough of a difference in PPP and “value” between the Ernest Hemingway mattress and any other finalists you are considering that use similar materials or are in a lower budget ranges to justify the more premium price.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for a quick and detailed reply! We went back to the Thomasville store yesterday and armed with all the knowledge I’ve learned on this site I started asking lots of questions. The salesperson was totally taken off guard…lol… and could not answer but promised to check with the manufacturer and provide me with as detailed a spec sheet as she could get. I am glad to hear that Stuart Carlitz has a passion for the industry and is transparent about materials used. The company is not far from us and we were thinking of paying a visit…espoecially if I do not get that spec sheet as promised.

The mattress definitely meets our PPP as far as we can tell from a showroom visit but the specs tell the real story. I did lift up all the bedding and took a pic of the tag which I attached here. The two main materials are 42% latex foam and 32% wool batting. Doesn’t indicate density or latex type but I hope to get this from spec sheet. Also quite a lot of wool, is that a good thing? In addition it mentions only 9% of polyfoam (unsure if HR or HD) and 9% of resinated textile clippings pad. Do you know what this is?

Thanks for your continuing support…

Sandi

Hi san08844,

The layer by layer information you would need is in this article.

Wool is a high quality material and provides great temperature regulation and has it’s own unique “feel” but like any mattress material or design, whether it’s a “good thing” or not depends on the specifics of the design and how you feel about it. It will tend to compress and become a little firmer as you sleep on it which is normal for wool but this will also depend on the specifics of the mattress and the tufting.

I would want to know the specifics of the layers to find out where the polyfoam layers are and their thickness and density (if they are more than about an inch or so).

Resinated textile clippings are an insulator pad (also called a shoddy pad because the textile clippings are called shoddy) that is usually used on top of springs to even out their compression and prevent the materials above them from impressing into the springs.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I received the attached from theThomasville store who say they got it from the rep from Eclipse…would appreciate you taking a look and let me know your thoughts…thanks!

Sandi

Hi san0844,

The specs they provided “translate” into these (from the bottom up) …

The support core has two 4" pocket coils (the specifics of the coil count and gauge aren’t mentioned) which would be a total of 8". They have double edge guards for edge support.

The padding and insulator layers above the coils (to protect the foam and wool layers above from sinking into the coils and even out the compression of the coils) includes the resinated textile pad (shoddy pad) of unknown thickness, 7/8" of firm 1.5 lb density foam, and the cotton batting (of unknown thickness). These are probably a little over 2" in total and there would be no weak links in any of them used in the deeper layers of the mattress.

The Eurotop over the padding and insulator layers includes 4" of wool and 2" of Talalay latex which along with the fabric is 6.5". These are both high quality materials.

The panel is the cover and the quilting material and has 1.25" of 1.5 lb polyfoam, a layer of dacron (polyester) fiber (unknown thickness) and the fire barrier so this is probably a little over 2" as well. These are on the lower quality end of the scale.

The specs don’t mention the type of fabric used in the cover.

All of these (8" pocket coils, @2" insulator and padding, 6.5" eurotop, @2" quilting panel) add up to about 18.5" which is about the thickness of the mattress so it seems that none of the layers or components are missing.

There is @ 2" of lower quality/density materials in the quilting (the polyfoam and the dacron) which is a little more than I would normally be comfortable with but this is quilted and tufted which would precompress the material and help them maintain their loft and add to their durability.

The Eurotop with 4" of wool and 1" of Talalay latex on each side will also compress somewhat over time (wool generally compresses by about 30% of its thickness) but the tufting and the latex on each side would precompress the wool and also help the wool maintain its loft and help to minimize the impressions. Some impressions are a normal part of a mattress that has thicker layers of wool which will maintain it’s resilience even when it has compressed. The impressions can also be evened out by sleeping in the center of the mattress from time to time so that the comfort materials compress more evenly.

These top 8" or so (the quilting panel and the eurotop) would be the part of the mattress that would be most subject to developing some impressions over time and this would be a normal expectation for this type of mattress but because of the materials and the design this shouldn’t have a significant effect the comfort or support of the mattress.

In other words … while the mattress may develop some impressions over time … they will tend to even out to some degree and this wouldn’t be a weak link with a mattress that is tufted and uses a larger amount of natural fibers in the comfort layers.

As an interesting aside … you can see the main “selling point” of how this mattress is marketed to retailers in this picture (“the highest profit ultra premium collection in the industry”) which of course is why retailers like it so much.

This type of mattress is more of a “luxury” than a “necessity” and it may not be any better than another mattress in a lower budget range that uses the same or higher quality materials in terms of PPP or how well you sleep. In many cases with this type of mattress purchase, how you feel “about” the mattress can be a more important part of your personal value equation than how well you sleep “on” the mattress. I would make sure that you make some careful comparisons both in terms of PPP and your personal value equation so that you are satisfied that the more premium price is worth it to you and there is a compelling reason to choose this mattress over another one that is also a good match in terms of PPP but is in a lower budget range. If there is a significant difference between this mattress and others that you have tested and you aren’t only going by “showroom feel” and “appearance” and a mattress that is as much about luxury as it is about PPP and quality of sleep is important to you, then it would certainly be worth considering or at least comparing with other similar types of “luxury” mattresses.

Phoenix

There is hardly a person in this world who would not heard of Ernest Hemingways name. His The Old Man and the Sea and A Farewell to Arms are known the least if not read. Every worth his or her salt reader went through Hemingways biography and the novels above. There are movies shot dedicated to life and activity of this great American writer let alone many articles written. http://findwritingservice.com/blog/ernest-hemingway-essay-the-most-interesting-facts Here is one of them, which might be very interesting and insightful for those who care to get to know this brilliant writer better through his literary heritage he left behind.