European sleep works vs. Berkeley ergonomics

Hi. I am considering the Alpine HDM or Nordic II mattresses from European Sleep Works. It looks like existing discussions on ESW are old (2013-14), so I am starting a new thread in the hope of getting updated feedback. Does anyone have comments to offer on the HDM or Nordic II, and how they compare with Berkeley Ergonomic closest approximations of these beds? I am 5’ 10", 150 lbs, side sleeper, looking for both pressure point relief and hip support in a mattress. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi eliotb,

I am 5’ 10", 150 lbs, side sleeper, looking for both pressure point relief and hip support in a mattress.

As you know any mattress you choose wi be unique to you Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health concerns) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As you have a lower BMI, you have a lot more options for finding a supportive comfortable mattress, though you may want to take a look at the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know and compare these to the Mattress Durability Guidelines to see how different materials hold up over time.

I am considering the Alpine HDM or Nordic II mattresses from European Sleep Works. It looks like existing discussions on ESW are old (2013-14), so I am starting a new thread in the hope of getting updated feedback. Does anyone have comments to offer on the HDM or Nordic II, and how they compare with Berkeley Ergonomic closest approximations of these beds?

The ESW mattresses you mention look sturdy, and well made, with the Alpine ADM having a knit cover, 2" talalay comfort layer available in multiple comfort levels, and a ‘dual coil’ system with both a 2000 count microcoil layer as well bc as a pocket innnerspring base. If you enjoy the somewhat specific feel of 2 coil/spring layers, this mattress could suit your needs. Similarly the Nordic II has 3.5" talalay with multiple firmnesses available, a 4000 count microcoil layer and base coil unit. This again, May be overkill with your sleep profile, but either will certainly not be lacking in support. ESW is a small quality family owned mattress manufacturer in California, and has been providing eco-friendly high end sleep solutions for almost 50 years. The Berkeley Ergonomic also has a cotton an wool cover over 2" talalay and a pocketed innerspring coil base. Though these are a big pricey, if you are looking for sma latex hybrid and can find a comfort level suited to you, any of these would be fine in the short term. Without additional specifications it does make it harder to assess their durability over time.

You might also want to take a look at the offerings of the Trusted Members of the site, many of whom carry latex and latex hybrid mattresses with more transparency in the components and construction of their mattresses, and who can help you to find the ideal solution to your sleep needs. Hopefully, other members with experience with European Sleep Works can chime in as well with their experiences.

~ Basilio

Hi Basilio,
Thanks very much for your informative reply. Much appreciated. I am aware of PPP! I went to the ESM retailer in Seattle and tried both the Alpine Classic and HDM. The Classic I tried had two inches of Talalay soft latex on top of the same base coils. I found it too firm. The HDM adds the minicoils and that one felt good. I agree that ESW isn’t very transparent about the specs on their mattresses, and this is annoying. They would inspire more confidence by being more forthcoming.
I have looked closely at Trusted Members’ offerings. I see several versions of a pocketed coil support layer with a 2-3" latex cushion layer, similar to the Alpine Classic I tried. Since I found that one too firm and “unyielding,” I wonder whether I wouldn’t have a similar response to other coil+latex mattresses from Trusted Members, though I do understand that using different ILD latex layers from that used by ESM could well yield a better feel.
I would be grateful if other MU members who have experience with ESM, or who found other mattresses that provide a similar feel to the Alpine HDM, can chime in.

Eliot

Hi eliotb, glad you found my response useful.
Not only ILD, but different kinds of latex also have very different feels…Talalay is considered ‘bouncier’ than Dunlop (like the difference between angel food cake and pound cake), so keep this in mind.

It does sound like you do like the feel of microcoils; any of the Trusted Members of the site can, with a little information on your Stats, PPP and mattress history, assist you in finding an ideal solution to your sleep needs, both in latex as well as microcoil comfort layers.

~ Basilio