Expectations for Eggcrate Style Topper

I currently have a 3" talalay topper on top of a vzone, itself on top of two other 3" Dunlop layers. The topper is too soft/squishy. In looking for more support I am debating a firmer, thinner topper, as well as an egg rate topper. I have never slept on eggcrate foam before and do not know what to expect. What I’ve read left me unsure what the “pressure relief” associated with egg rate feels like, and if it is on the softer side.

For additional consideration my wife and I are both side sleepers. I have a rotator cuff injury and she needs hip support.

Any impressions are appreciated

Doesnt Flobeds have their own egg crate latex topper?

Never tried it myself.

John

They do.That is what I’d likely by but would love hear about any experience with these convoluted/egg crate products from any manufacturer in terms of general feel.

Hi misterawesome, and welcome back after a year :slight_smile:

Egg crate toppers can be a great solution for pressure point relief for some sleepers; the multiple ‘peaks’ can provide support for some sleep profiles while allowing more air circulation and freedom of movement of the specific ‘points’ due to their construction, these do tend to be on the softer, rather than firmer side.

Remember that Talalay has a different ‘feel’ than Dunlop, being consider a ‘bouncier ‘ latex rubber (like the difference between angel food cake and pound cake). As any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

You might want to try, if possible, laying on the seperate layers placed on the floor to see how they feel on your pressure points; You have both Talalay and Dunlop, assumedly of different firmnesses, as well as the v-zone. If you have a higher BMI a too soft top comfort layer can allow you to ‘sink in’ too much, and bottom out on the firmer layers below, which can also exacerbate any aches or pains as well as cause alignment issues. You might want to go with a thinner top layer of soft latex, or possibly try a medium firm - there is no ‘right’ answer, only you and your wife can tell which comfort and support level is right for you!

~ Basilio