Extra Plush Quilted Mattress Pad

So I’ve decided the IKEA Tromsdalen Latex mattress topper is not for me and looking into getting a polyester filled mattress pad to serve as two functions, firstly it would soften up my mattress a bit providing some extra soft quilting in the top layer and secondly it would serve as a semi-mattress protector protecting the mattress from a bit of dirt and soil.

I do not need or like waterproof mattress protectors and think it would be too noisy and hot for my sleeping habits thus why I’m only looking for a mattress pad specifically the Extra Plush Quilted Mattress Pad in Bamboo from eLuxurySupply which will not likely change the feel if my mattress overall while still providing a bit of softness and dirt protection.

Hi Nemix,

I hope that your mattress pad works better for you than the Ikea latex topper that you tried.

I would keep in mind that a mattress pad is a completely different product that is designed to serve a different function than a mattress protector and isn’t washable so I would still use a mattress protector with it as well.

IMO … a mattress protector is important to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because most mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. They can be easily removed for washing and are usually designed to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself (and most good mattress protectors aren’t “noisy”).

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

There’s also a Waterproof version of the Extra Plush Quilted Mattress Pad with a Polyurethane underside layer but the top fabric Cotton instead of blended Bamboo and I’m afraid the Polyurethane barrier combined with Cotton top may create some undesirable heat retention while sleeping.

Hi Nemix,

“Most people” seem to be fine with the “semi breathable” polyurethane membranes but there are generally a “few people” who find that the membranes put them outside of the temperature range that they are comfortable with.

The only way to know which group you would be in would be based on your own personal experience but at least Amazon has a 30 day return policy that lets you try it to find out.

Phoenix

How does Polyurethane compare to Polyester in terms of breathe ability?

I’m looking to order a low profile whole box spring cover with zippers that is made specifically of non-woven Polyester but I’m not sure if it would be ideal in terms breathe ability for both the box spring being placed directly on the floor and the bottom portion of the mattress from moisture build up in between box spring cover…

This is the one I’m looking at: https://www.wayfair.com/PureCare-by-Fabrictech-Box-Spring-Protector-FBP-FABT1007.html

Hi Nemix,

Polyester is a fabric (not a membrane) and would be more breathable than a polyurethane membrane (which is bonded to a fabric) but it wouldn’t be waterproof.

The product you linked is designed to be used as a dust mite and allergy encasement and there is more about allergy encasements in post #2 here.

It shouldn’t cause an issue with breathability under your mattress.

Phoenix

So the mattress pad arrived today and I figured I’d post on this thread since the title of the thread fits the item I’m giving my opinion on.

The Extra Plush Bamboo Quilted Mattress Pad came is a big brown box with a texts eLuxurySupply.com imprinted onto the box, inside there’s plastic zipped bag (similar to the ones the duvet’s come in) with the mattress pad neatly folded and tucked inside a yet another plastic bag but this one is generic and air tight with clear tape.

Upon first inspection of the mattress pad I was not very impressed, there was loose fluff clumps on the top of the mattress pad (randomly scattered) and it did not look as thick as I expected it to be.

After putting it onto my mattress over the IKEA Latex topper and laying down on it, I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of the mattress pad; the mattress pad is very soft (not as soft as the top of my mattress only which consists a blend of Bamboo and cashmere but it’s pretty close), fluffy and measures just slightly over 1.5 inches thick.

I initially felt the mattress pad was very warm laying on it without sheets for the first time but after letting my room air out for a while and putting sheets over it, I feel the difference in temperature between the mattress pad and the IKEA topper alone with sheets is very minimal (it’s maybe 1/10 warmer).

I chose the Bamboo version specially so that there’s minimal difference is temperature and I believe a 1.5 inch thick mattress pad is all I need to soften down the IKEA Latex topper while still keeping the support and overall feel of the Latex.

Before ordering the mattress pad I tried folding a couple duvet’s to simulate how a 1.5 inch thick and 2.5 inch thick mattress pad would feel over the IKEA Latex topper and I liked the feel of a 1.5 inch simulated mattress pad better, 2.5" inches while very fluffy and soft took too much away from the feel and support of the Latex beneath and believe is better for those who are side sleepers.

These are just my initial thoughts as I’ve not yet had a full night’s sleep with the mattress pad over the IKEA Latex topper and I’ll will update my thoughts after I spent a few days sleeping on the mattress pad.

Hi Nemix,

Thanks for taking the time to share your initial feedback.

Phoenix

I’m back for a second assessment of the Extra Plush Bamboo Mattress Pad by eLuxurySupply after spending almost a week sleeping with it on my mattress.

I’ve concluded the mattress pad does indeed add warmth to the mattress, the top being only 30% Bamboo and 70% Polyester (Microfiber) does allow the mattress pad to breath and wicks away moisture possibly better than 100% Cotton but the bottom being 100% non woven Polyester does not allow the mattress pad to breath all the way through causing heat to be trapped in between the bottom layer mattress pad and top mattress/topper.

I came to this conclusion because I wanted to out just the mattress pad on top of my naked mattress alone without the IKEA Latex topper for a couple nights and the added heat was enough to make my turn down the furnace since the top of my mattress has a thin layer of Polyester fill in the quilting (about 1 inch) and when combined with the non breathable Polyester bottom layer of mattress pad and another 1.5 inches of Polyester fill in the mattress pad, body heat seems to get trapped and retained over night.

I’ve also think that sleeping with the mattress pad alone on my naked mattress puts my spine a bit out of alignment, since maybe the Polyester fill in the mattress pad is not very supportive and in combination with the Polyester fill in the top layer of my mattress this makes for about 2.5 inches of in-supportive material making back sleeping a bit less comfortable but then again it could be just my pillow which needs replacement.

I don’t really see this as an issue in the long run as the Polyester fill in the mattress pad will loose it’s loft over time and flatten down but for the time being using the mattress pad with my naked mattress feels very warm and slightly too plush and in-supportive however using the mattress pad on top on the IKEA Latex topper yields a better result since having the IKEA Latex topper beneath the mattress pad makes for a not as warming and more supportive sleeping experience.

I will continue to evaluate the Extra Plush Bamboo Mattress Pad over the course of a a couple more weeks as I still have the option to return it if not satisfied, I just wonder what they are going to do with the return used item…

Hi Nemix,

Thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’m in the process of returning the item, all my initial thoughts of the mattress pad seem to be correct.

After sleeping on the mattress pad on and off for about two weeks I feel the pad is a bit too thick and too soft (not very supportive) for me which put my spine out of alignment.

The Extra Plush mattress pad maybe good for those who are side sleepers or have a more curve body structure,

I’ve decided to get a less thick and less soft mattress pad locally, I think it will serve me much better for my sleeping habits and body type.