Factory Direct mattress manufacturers - Dallas/Ft Worth

I want to follow up on our experience with Mattress Factory.
My wife and I went to the show room around Memorial Day. We tried out the three different latex firmness and decided to go with the medium.

After the mattress was delivered, my wife found that the matress was too firm and felt pushed back on her shoulder and hips.
I weight less than my wife and used to sleep on a plank with just a couple of inches of foam when I was a kid. I found the matress was pushing against my body. Both of us did not get a good night of sleep.

Two days later, we went back and talked to Peter. We found out that the matress delivered was firm.
It was not the mattress we thought we ordered. We really like the firmness of the one that was in the middle of the showroom which was a medium. Peter offered to take our mattress back and swap it with a medium. He was very helpful. He did not argue or make excuses or try to talk us into keeping the wrong mattress.

Long story short, it took another week or so before we got our new mattress. The new mattress was excellent quality and very comfortable. We have been very happy with our matress for almost two months now. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We very much appreciate Peter’s service and standing behind his product. We would recommand others to buy from him. We are planning to get latex mattresses for our two sons once we have the money. We are glad to have found this forum. Otherwise we would have spent our money on a big box brand mattress of lesser quality.

Hi oscarspaz,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Peter and The Mattress Factory … I appreciate it.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well … I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

I especially appreciate your comments about how they fixed their mistake. Anyone can make a mistake and one of the signs of a better retailer or manufacturer is how they deal with them when they happen. Sometimes when these kind of mistakes happen it’s easy to be “prepared to do battle” when we try to correct them and it can really be a breath of fresh air when there is no “battle” at all … only a genuine desire for a customer to be happy. Even if it had been the firmness you ordered, manufacturers like The Mattress Factory will usually be happy to change out a layer to make the mattress more suitable for the needs and preferences of their customers.

Now that you have been sleeping on your mattress for a couple of months and you are past the break in and adjustment period you can reasonably expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come :slight_smile:

Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the info on this site.

I’ve been studying your site for a few months.

We have a trip to Dallas this week and will visit a few of these recommended stores in order to try the latex beds in person.

Hi ShaneD76,

Welcome … and I’m glad the site could help you :slight_smile:

You certainly have some good options in the Dallas / Ft Worth area and I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Hi all,

New member here. I just moved to Dallas for medical school and needed a new mattress, and this site really helped me figure out what I needed in terms of comfort and support–and helped me stay away from the low quality, big name mattresses.

I purchased a mattress from Sleep Craft Mattress Co. in Lewisville, TX, on Saturday. I chose an Alexander plush, but I had the owner Todd make it softer; I’m a 5’4", 120 lb female, and I knew I wanted a little more cushion. Todd’s solution was to remove one layer of the compressed cotton that sits above the springs, to use softer foam in the top layer (I’m not sure what the original density was), and to add another layer of 1/2 inch foam on top of that. He had his son deliver it yesterday, which was fantastic, and I slept on my new mattress for the first time last night.

Here’s the problem that has me sick to my stomach: the mattress feels too firm in all the wrong ways. I don’t think I sink in enough to get the right amount of arch support in my back, and when I turn on my side, it only takes a few minutes until my hips and shoulders begin aching from too much pressure. Todd did not mention a refund policy, and since it’s a custom mattress, I’m assuming I can’t return it. I just hope I didn’t spend a thousand dollars on a mattress that’s going to give me back pain where I had none before.

Do these issues sound like they’ll go away once I’ve broken in the mattress? If so, what can I do to break it in more quickly? If not… what are my options? I’m calling Sleep Craft tomorrow (closed today), but in the meantime, can anyone help me put my mind at ease?

Thanks for all the help.

Hi jhana,

I’m not sure what their specific policies are but many manufacturers will make adjustments to a mattress to change the comfort level for their customers that need it.

All new mattresses will be firmer than a floor model because it will take a few weeks for the foam to break in and lose any “false firmness” and for the cover fabrics to lose any initial stiffness. You can speed this up by walking carefully and evenly on the mattress surface but I would be cautious with an innerspring mattress because springs don’t like to be compressed suddenly and I would avoid walking on the outer edges which may damage the border wire. There are also some suggestions in post #2 here which may be helpful.

The good news is that it’s much easier to “fix” a mattress that is too firm than to firm up a mattress that is too soft so you still have good options available but the first step would be to talk to Todd so you can find out the options you have available that would be the best choice for you.

Phoenix

:slight_smile: thanks to this site I hope we have pick a great mattress from The Mattress Factory in Fort Worth, but if not then Peter will adjust it for us. We hope to be sleeping on it by Wednesday. We went with the 24/28/24. We debated between the 28/28/28 and the one we chose. We stayed for a good hour testing these two mattresses out. The softer just hugged the curves a bit better. My husband nearly thought I was crazy as we pulled up and saw the place, but by the time we left he was thanking Peter and I for feeling like he just left from a massage. We were both so relaxed, who would have ever thought that after a major purchase. When we arrived Peter had just returned from an errand and so the showroom was a bit stuffy as he has turned off the AC units but it was ok even though it was 104 outside. We also picked up a couple of his cervical pillows that he gave us a deal on. With discounts we ended getting buy one get one on the pillows and the online discount and the mattress underground discount. Will update after some night sleep. Thanks Phoenix for all you do on here.

Hi Dagal,

Thanks for the feedback and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

As you know I think highly of Peter and the quality and value of his mattresses and I think you made a great choice. Best of all if for some reason your actual sleeping experience indicates that you need some fine tuning then then they will adjust it to your preferences.

I’m also looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Also a new member that has been following this site for a the last two weeks. I have found the information on this site to be very useful in my search for a new mattress Like a lot of folks on the site I have also decided on a Latex mattress. I recently viewed the Restonic Latex mattresses at Stacy’s Furniture (Preston Road location) and found them to be very nice and the salesman to be very knowledgeable. I was looking at the King size models. He informed me that the mattresses were composed of one-piece (not 2 twin XL pieces glued together) Talalay Latex pieces and that the Latex was from Belgium. While he did not know the ILD values, yet he did have a cutaway model of the mattress showing a core of about 6-inches that was firm and 3 1-inch layers above and below the core layer. The mattress was about 12 inches thick when measured. The warranty is 15 years non-pro rated. I am planning on visiting the Mattress Factory in the near future to compare. I was wondering if it matters if the toppers are layered (e.g., several 1-inch layers) or is it better for the topper to be one solid piece (e.g., 3-inches thick)?

Thanks

Hi MandC,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

There are only two Talalay latex manufacturers which are Latex International (in the US) and Radium (in Holland) and neither of them have king size molds so the latex was either Dunlop (if it didn’t have a glue seam) or if it was Talalay it would have a glue seam in king size. It wouldn’t make any difference if you liked the “feel” of the latex though because both are high quality materials and the choice between them is a personal preference and you wouldn’t feel the glue seams in Talalay latex anyway.

In “theory” … three loose 1" layers of the same ILD in the upper layers would “act” and feel a little softer for some people that were more sensitive than a single 3" layer of the same ILD but if there were three 1" layers they would probably be glued anyway and it really wouldn’t make any practical difference either way as long as the mattress was a good match for you in terms of PPP.

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit to The Mattress Factory and of course finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

So I went to the two recommended mattress shops in DFW (Sleepcraft and Mattress Factory in Fort worth)

To begin, excellent customer service. Both places had owners who knew what they were talking about/ helped me out alot.

The sleep craft featured all talalay @ 28 ILD (N3) and 34-36ILD (N4). I liked the 28, but my girlfriend liked the 36, so we went to the Mattress Factory because they did custom layers.

Of the options at Mattress Factory, both myself and my girlfriend liked the 28/36/28 and the 28/28/28. We decided to go on the firm side with the 28/36/28. 2 inches talalay/6 inches dunlop/2 inches talalay, all natural.

I will admit, at first I had a huge problem sleeping on my new mattress. Previously I had been sleeping on a several year old Sultan Engenes mattress. The thing had an incredible body dent in it, and I woke up every morning with my whole back sore liked I had just worked out. I took your advice and gave my mattress a month. I liked it much better now, and I wake up with absolutely no back pain. Additionally, my posture while I’m awake is markedly improved.

However… I am still have problems with my arm falling asleep (I am a side sleeper), and subjective feeling of the mattress being too firm. I am not sure what to do at this point.

1. change the core firmness (I’m guessing this would be risky)
  2. Buy a topper (leaning toward this)

I feel like I am very close to my perfect mattress, what do you recommend?

Hi axl099020,

[quote]However… I am still have problems with my arm falling asleep (I am a side sleeper), and subjective feeling of the mattress being too firm. I am not sure what to do at this point.

1. change the core firmness (I’m guessing this would be risky)
  2. Buy a topper (leaning toward this)[/quote]

There are really three directions you could go to improve pressure relief and soften your sleeping surface.

The first would be to use softer latex in the 2" comfort layer but with only 2" above a firmer core it’s likely that you would still feel the firmness of the core below it and with a two sided mattress it would also put a softer layer under your mattress which may affect alignment.

The second would be to use a softer sore (the layer in the middle) but you would still have a medium layer on top (which may still not be as soft as you would prefer) and this would also have a greater risk of compromising support/alignment and I would always prioritize alignment over pressure relief.

The third option would be to add a topper which would give you a little thicker and softer comfort layer without compromising the design or the support/alignment of the mattress itself. If you added a topper into the design of the mattress on both sides then it would result in a layer on the bottom that was probably too thick and soft and could compromise support in a two sided mattress but having the additional thickness and softness in the form of a topper means you still have a great base mattress with all the benefits of a two sided mattress that you can flip and also have the benefits that would normally only be possible in a one sided design that can use thicker and softer comfort layers.

While choosing a topper that works best for you in combination with a specific mattress can be a bit of a challenge … post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you choose a topper that has the best chance of success. It also includes a link to a list of the better topper sources I’m aware of and if you choose a supplier that allows for exchanges or a refund then the risk of making a less than ideal choice is much lower.

As you can see … I think that overall your best approach would be adding a topper.

Phoenix

Thanks for ll the helpful info. Had bought our last latex mattress from City Mattress and were very pleased but it’s time for a new one and wanted to make sure that we checked out all the recommended factories.

Hi Beekman,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

You certainly have some great options in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thanks for the information. I will be visiting the Mattress Factory

in the near future.

Hi wade machen,

I’m glad you found us as well … and I’m also looking forward to your feedback after your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I Bought mattress yesterday from Mattress Factory. We got premium latex queen 10" 24/28/24. Thank you leading us to this outlet, Peter Duncan’s expertise was very helpful. We will let you know how it works for us. Thank you

Hi wade machen,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and I think you certainly made a good quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks to your site here I’ve narrowed my shopping choices down to 1) The Mattress Factory in Ft. Worth or 2) a retailer that carries the Noah’s Manfufacturing mattress (I’m not near Houston where they are based). I called and they easily shared local retail outlets and that he recommends the 5300 or 5100 Night series, just fyi if you have any comments. Anyway, do you have a preference for one of these companies over the other? The reviews about Noah’s mattresses seem overwhelmingly positive but that’s why I’m asking.
We are currently sleeping on an approximately 15 yr. old Kingsdown Beauty Rest Elite which is still very, very comfortable, however, it is a queen size that I’ve just temporarily put on our king size bed frame after throwing out the king mattress due to eventual back pains from it after so many years. Anyway, with the hubby and two dogs I need my king size back so everyone has room! I’m ultimately looking for a great value under $900 which I didn’t think was possible originally when I just started out shopping at the big name brand stores.
Thanks and I’ll wait for your response before setting out!

Hi mojoman,

Unfortunately I can’t feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for me (or anyone) to make specific suggestions for someone else for either a specific company or a mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or "theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

“Brand shopping” is never the most effective approach to choosing a mattress because the specifics of a mattress are always more important than the name of the company that makes it (see post #5 here) and I would also be very cautious about using reviews (either positive or negative) as a meaningful source of guidance about which mattress is “best for you” (see post #13 here).

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses regardless of the name of the company but deciding on which mattress is “best for you” will always come down to …

1. Testing for suitability and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences)
  2. Checking for the type and durability of the materials to make sure there are no weak links inside the mattress.
  3. Comparing for value based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

In most cases I would consider more than one option (or store) anyway so that you have more than one “finalist” to compare and choose between and as long as you can find out the specifics of the materials and components that are inside any of their mattresses you are considering then both of them would be well worth including in your testing and research.

Phoenix