Factory Direct mattress manufacturers - Dallas/Ft Worth

Thanks to this thread and reading for few days straight. Going to visit the mattress factory in FW this Saturday. Hopefully they have an experienced person to help get the correct mattress. Thanks for this great forum.

Hi Slowgrind and MeeNag,

I’m looking forward to the feedback about your experiences from both of you.

It might be worth calling before you go to make sure Peter will be there because based some of the comments here the person that replaces him when he is off isn’t as knowledgeable as he is.

Phoenix

After talking to Peter on the phone (his preferred method) and via email, we decided to order one of his latex mattresses. It has a 6" 100% latex 36 ILD (i think) Dunlop core with 2" 100% latex 28 ILD Talalay comfort layers of both sides. The other option was 36 ILD Talalay comfort layers. When we tried the 28 ILD in the store we liked it but thought we wanted to try something a little softer. They don’t make a softer latex mattress but Peter told me that he could order 19-20 ILD 2" Talalay if we really wanted it. He recommended getting the 28 ILD and trying it for a few weeks and if we still want the softer latex, he will switch it out for us. I sent him an email on Thursday to place the order, he called on Friday(today) to say he was making it that day and it will be delivered tomorrow morning (Saturday). So far dealing with Peter and the Mattress Factory has been great. I hope the actual product continues that. I’ll report back my experiences with it.
I’m very thankful for this website and the work that you do Phoenix. I find myself wanting to get into mattress conversions with friends and coworkers just so I can pass on what I’ve learned and direct them to this site. Thanks again!
Jeff

Hi MEENag,

That would be very firm (probably too firm) for most people and 28 ILD would be much closer to the norm (depending on what was in the quilting in the cover).

I think his advice is probably good if you have tested the combination … especially if you can replace it for softer latex if you need to. You can also add a topper if necessary if you need comfort layers that are just a bit softer or thicker as well.

Thanks for the kind words … and the more people that can learn that there really is a better way to choose a mattress and the less the major manufacturers dominate the industry … the better it will be for consumers in general. You are probably more of an “expert” now than most of the people who sell mattresses in the mainstream industry!

Congratulations on your new mattress … and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After 2 weeks of sleeping on our new latex mattress from The Mattress Factory in Fort Worth, I can say that I am very pleased.
It is quite comfortable. No elaboration here. It’s just feels good.
It doesn’t sleep hot. I don’t notice a difference between the new latex mattress and my old innerspring mattress).
It has a much different feel than our old innerspring, as expected. It isolates motion much better , but doesn’t feel like it hinders movement like memory foam does. I’ve heard/read many times that memory foam makes the non-sleeping mattress activities awkward… Not so for our latex mattress.
The only unresolved issue I have is whether to get a mattress protector. Since I’m so happy with the way it feels without one, I fear a mattress protector will affect the feel negatively.
Overall I’m very pleased. Thanks again to Phoenix and this site for all of the help and advice.
Jeff

Hi MEENag,

Congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

A mattress protector is a good idea to protect the mattress from the normal body fluids and oils that we lose each night and from the buildup of dust mites and the possibility of accidents as well. It’s a lot easier to keep your mattress hygienic over the years by washing a mattress protector than cleaning the mattress. There are some mattress protectors that have very little effect on the feel of a mattress.

You can read more about the different types of protectors in post #89 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix-

I just began researching mattresses a week ago, and most of what I gathered was directing me towards latex. We are replacing a 20 year old Simmons, and all I knew was that I wanted to avoid the big box stores with their terrible sales and gimmicks! With just a quick google search I found two manufacturers in my town of Fort Worth and made plans to visit The Mattress Factory. I then found your fabulous forum and read up as much as I could and was happy to see this company listed as one of your preferred sellers. I called and spoke to Peter Duncan who was very helpful and answered my few questions. I absolutely wanted only 100% natural latex. My husband and I visited Saturday and talked to a different salesman, who was new, but very friendly. Once we tried the “medium” latex, there was no going back! It is so different from the typical spring type mattress and we ordered that day. It is a queen with the 6" Dunlop core with 2" of Talalay on either side, with foundation. The mattress has just been built (only two days later) and will be delivered on Wednesday! What a fast turnaround!

Your site has been extremely helpful in making me feel good about this purchase. So I was delighted to find this thread tonight (Tuesday) in which you confirmed everything I had heard about The Mattress Factory and that you have ordered from them, out of all the factories in the US! I feel lucky to live only 15 min away, knowing how highly you recommend them. I love purchasing from local companies, and they have been in business for over 100 years! The showroom is non-descript, but I don’t need a lot of salespeople and fancy showrooms, just quality products! And their prices seem so so reasonable compared to what I have seen online.

I am a side-sleeper with neck problems, so I am hoping this will relieve the regular night time aches. And I just ordered two zoned latex pillows from My Organic Sleep. Cannot wait to try those out as well!

So, thank you for your knowledge, time, and tons of information!

—a very happy reader.

Hi DandS,

Thanks for the feedback and most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m glad the site could help you and it sounds to me like you made a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Phoenix

I just found your web site this weekend and want to say ‘thank you’ as it kept me from purchasing a Sleep Number mattress. Tomorrow I will be visiting The Mattress Factory in Fort Worth and Sleep Craft in Lewisville to see if a latex bed has the right PPP for me. I appreciate all the knowledge Phoenix and what each of the members share.

Hi KayJazz,

Thanks for the kind words … and I’m glad you found us before it was “too late” :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I did purchase a latex bed from The Mattress Factory in Fort Worth. Peter mentioned that in the F.W. store approx 60% of the people purchased the bed with a 28 ILD (medium firmness) and 40% for the 36 ILD (firm). I opted for the 36 ILD.

I have only slept in the bed 4 nights. When I first lay down I do notice a slight cradling around my body (nothing like the cradling from a Tempur foam type bed). Peter mentioned it taking about 2 weeks to get use to the bed. I sense the bed may be a bit too firm however, feel I should give myself more time. I did purchase the 3" cotton cover/topper that gives some softness however, have not used yet because I wanted to try the bed for it’s true merits. If the bed is still to firm is the topper the way to go, or should I be considering the 28 ILD? I have 30 days to try to bed so I don’t want to wait too long to make my decision. Thoughts?
I’m a side sleeper if that makes a difference.

I also purchased the queen, contour foam pillows that those are OK - no neck stiffness.

BTW - my experience at The Mattress Factory was good and I would recommend the store to others.

Thanks-

Hi KayJazz,

I don’t know the specifics of your mattress or if the ILD’s you are referring to are for the comfort layers or the support layer (or if your mattress only has a single layer of latex that is the ILD you mentioned) but if you are referring to the firmness of the comfort layers then 36 ILD is firmer than most people would be comfortable with and would be very firm (although this also depends on their sleeping positions, body type, and preferences of course because each person is unique).

I also don’t know the specifics of the topper you purchased or what is inside the 3" so I really don’t have any way of making any meaningful comments about it. Depending on the specifics of your mattress and the topper … it could either “feel” firmer or softer depending on whether it was softer or firmer than the layer below the topper that you would otherwise be sleeping on. The only way to know how the mattress topper combination will feel for you is to try it on your mattress and see whether the combination is better for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) than the mattress by itself. The “true merits” of a sleeping system (vs a mattress which may only be part of a sleeping system) depends on how all the layers and components interact and perform together and there are many people who prefer a mattress/topper combination (that they have tested in person to make sure the combination is a good “match” for their specific needs and preferences) because it gives you the option of changing or replacing just the topper down the road if it softens more quickly than the mattress (which is likely) or if your needs and preferences change without having to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

May have a deal with Peter Duncan on their Elegance system, however an old, factory direct firm out of Corpus Christi, people we’ve known for 40 years, who are now in the San Antonio area, is custom building a queen set to our specs. Come next week, if we like it, we can buy it for under $900. If not, Curtis Cantwell says he can sell it, no sweat. Now that’s service! After many conversations with Curtis and Peter, I think they were cut from the same mold. They’re too honest for their own good!

Thanks for your support phoenix!

Mark
Fredericksburg, TX

Hi Mark in Texas,

You’re certainly looking at a couple of good options and some “old time” multi generational manufacturers that can both custom build to their customers preferences.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing … and it’s great to see you have narrowed things down to a choice between “good and good” and that no matter which direction you end up going that you will have a great quality/value mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I have been avidly devouring the contents of this website all afternoon. We have called both of the businesses recommended first in this thread and will be visiting The Mattress Factory tomorrow. Given that a couple of other websites indicate that a comfort layer of 28 ILD is still very slightly firm for side sleepers (such as myself and my wife) I am surprised that Peter’s lowest in-stock ILD Talalay is a 28 rating. Perhaps I can ask for some clarity from you Phoenix… would you agree that most side sleepers prefer an ILD between 24 and 26??

Finally, does a 2" Talalay comfort layer seem a bit thin over the firmer core?

Thanks!

Craig
Euless, TX

Hi slotshot,

It really depends on the specifics of all the layers of a mattress not on one specific layer but in general side sleepers will prefer softer or thicker comfort layers (and some even softer than 24). There is no “formula” though that can predict what any specific person will do best with in terms of PPP and I would always go by your personal testing based on how all the layers or components in the mattress interact with your body type and sleeping positions and avoid the “temptation” to try to use specs or ILD to try and “imagine” what something will feel like until you have some good reference points based on personal experience.

Again … this will depend entirely on how well it works for you in terms of PPP. For some people the answer may be yes and for others it may be no and only your own experience can give you the reference points that can really answer these types of “comfort” questions.

Phoenix

Slotshot, having been to the Mattress Factory recently I’d ask Peter what ILD core he used in his demo model(s). I found it quite firmer than I expected for a 28ILD Talalay comfort layer, and I suspect that a too-firm core may have had something to do with it. As Phoenix said though, your perception may vary from mine based on your body type.

Thanks for the wisdom. I will report back with what we find. Also, one last question… Phoenix you indicated that you ordered a two sided mattress. Does this mean that the mattress you ordered had comfort layers on both sides and could be flipped? Is this something we should be certain was part of our construction?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig,
I will be curious of your findings today as well. I purchased a 36 ILD 10 days ago and as a side sleeper I’m finding it just a bit too firm. For sure I will need to change to the 28 ILD. Mine is a 2 sided which means I can flip the mattress.
Thanks - KayJazz
Bedford

Hi slotshot,

Yes

That’s entirely up to each person’s personal value equation. Its certainly not necessary but a two sided construction can extend the life of a mattress even with a material as durable as latex (as long as you flip it). There is more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in posts #2 and #3 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix